Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finished Stardust. It was probably my most enjoyable experience with Gaiman. A very enjoyable read and far superior to the film adaption. They are in fact very different.
    Now starting Hellboy Vol. 2. Wake the Devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Halfway through "The New Space Opera", a collection of short stories by the likes of Reynolds, Hamilton and Baxter.
    Some good ones so far, but some pretty bad ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭starchild

sara douglas the twisted citadel - brillant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dolphin Hotel

I'm reading 'Dance Dance Dance' by Haruki Murakami.

Believe it or not, this is my first post as I've only just registered here. I only just started this book too. So I thought I'd call myself Dolphin Hotel which is a hotel that's central to the plot of the Novel.

So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Finished Chasm city. Definitely enjoyed it more that revelation space, and I probably will keep reading Reynolds, but I'm in no rush to do so, onwards into the xmas pile!

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote: »
    Halfway through "The New Space Opera", a collection of short stories by the likes of Reynolds, Hamilton and Baxter.
    Some good ones so far, but some pretty bad ones.

Finished that last night, now onto King Rat by China Mieville.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished that last night, now onto King Rat by China Mieville.
    'King Rat' - Good call. Read it recently and very much enjoyed it - I just adore Mieville's writing style.

Speaking of weird writers, I'm just about to start 'Ink' Hal Duncan's sequel to 'Vellum'. The previous book featured different versions of the character existing in a narrative lacking any real chronological structure, so it'll be interesting to see if this sequel is also a sort of mish-mash of ideas, old myths, and high flights of fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

pH wrote: »
    Finished Chasm city. Definitely enjoyed it more that revelation space, and I probably will keep reading Reynolds, but I'm in no rush to do so, onwards into the xmas pile!

loved this series and I think chasm city is the best of the books. A word of warning about the ending ..... it isnt the best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Halfway through "Blood Music" by Greg Bear. Great stuff so far - and getting weirder!

Reading it while waiting for Hodges Figgis to tell me they've got my copy of "Green Mars" in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

On to book two of Sage of the Seven Suns, by Kevin J Anderson.

Not bad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

just about to start reading watchmen so all the people who told me to read it will shut up but also because the films out soon and i want to read it before then.

ixoy wrote: »
    'King Rat' - Good call. Read it recently and very much enjoyed it - I just adore Mieville's writing style.

Finished it last night, twas good alright, but the fact that the whole premise of Saul's protection from the Piper was thrown out halfway through yet he still had it annoyed me for the rest of the book.

Now reading "The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge" by Stephen Donaldson. Been searching for this for ages (had a copy ordered from play.com for over a year which was "temporarily unavailable" and never changed) before finding a new copy on abebooks.

About to start reading Wyrd Sisters by Pratchett.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

"Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, amazing book.

Currently reading "Ink" by Hal Duncan... It's a very difficult book to get into really seeing as it features multiple versions, as it were, of the same set of characters in different realities. To compound that it then doesn't even bother to use traditional narrative techniques (it has no particular chronological order) and Duncan's prose can be quite obtuse at times, even if he's able to turn a phrase well. Really not sure what I think of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gonna be starting Heinlein's: "Strangers in a Strange Land" tonite.

Picked it up on a whim yesterday. Anyone like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Dades wrote: »
    Gonna be starting Heinlein's: "Strangers in a Strange Land" tonite.

Picked it up on a whim yesterday. Anyone like it?

It was very prescient in some ways, and quite controversial too. I read it years ago and can't remember much detail beyond 'grok', but recall thinking it was very much a book of it's time and being vaguely disappointed when I finished it. I see it here on a shelf beside me actually, might try it again.

Now reading "The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge" by Stephen Donaldson. Been searching for this for ages (had a copy ordered from play.com for over a year which was "temporarily unavailable" and never changed) before finding a new copy on abebooks.

Not a book to read at night, it can be quite disturbing.
    Now starting the Complete Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny for something, hopefully, a bit lighter.

Snow Crash by Stephenson.

• Advertisement

Sandor wrote: »
    Snow Crash by Stephenson.

Its a little bit dated at this stage, but still a great book.

Its a little bit dated at this stage, but still a great book.
    Yep. Wasn't this one of the first titles to use avatars and a virtual world that people engaged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Magican, By Raymond E. Feist
    It was recommended to me over in the literature forum, one of the best reads I,ve had in a long time. I have the trilogy so once this is finished im onto the rest of the trilogy.

Codofwar wrote: »
    Magican, By Raymond E. Feist
    It was recommended to me over in the literature forum, one of the best reads I,ve had in a long time. I have the trilogy so once this is finished im onto the rest of the trilogy.

Enjoy, Magican is great!

As for me, I'm re-reading the "Eye of the World" for the umpteenth time, and will re-read the rest of the series to have it fresh in my mind for when "A Memory of Light" is published.

Reading "The Briar King" by Greg Keyes. So far, it's not too bad - it was a little bit off putting first as he used his own terms for the likes of duke, priest, etc. The characters are fairly stock like in nature (gruff woodsman, young novice, etc) but he's managing to breathe life into them so far. It's reminding me of Kate Ellitot's "A Crown of Stars" series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

It was very prescient in some ways, and quite controversial too. I read it years ago and can't remember much detail beyond 'grok', but recall thinking it was very much a book of it's time and being vaguely disappointed when I finished it. I see it here on a shelf beside me actually, might try it again.

Very, very over-rated IMHO.
    My guess is that poor ol' Heiniken was suffering through a mid-life crisis or something ;)

Wyrd Sisters was good solid Pratchett. Snow Crash was an excellent read. Great characters, very interesting story, plenty of background info and not a dull moment. Thoroughly entertaining.

Now reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2.

At the moment, I'm taking a break (only a brief one!) to read the graphic novel, "Watchmen".

Enjoying it so far, and looking forward to the movie when it hits the cinemas!

Reading "The Temporal Void" by Peter F. Hamilton. Already immensely enjoying it - he got right into the action (which he always describes well). Let's see what body count he can bring in this one :D

• Advertisement

Not a book to read at night, it can be quite disturbing.
    Now starting the Complete Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny for something, hopefully, a bit lighter.

Read the first 5 Amber books before starting now on The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter.

Advertisement