Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

David Farland - series of books, i'm reading the first one at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 James-Brod

Trudi Canavan - The Magician's Apprentice

Robert Jordan - Crown of Swords (I love this series, going to be so depressed when its finished....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Feersum Endjinn - Banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Shadow Of A Dark Queen - Raymond E Feist. - Serpentwar saga

Should have read it years ago after finishing the magician series but never got around to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Altered Carbon by richard morgan. sci-fi detective noir and very very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

just read the Magician series by Canavan...sort of...i got half way through the last book and lost the will to live....the mundane relationship details just overwhelmed me and slowed the plot down soooooo much...disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Matter , Iain M Banks

have enjoyed most of his "culture" series so quite looking forward to this

The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney. It took about three pages to grab me. A very good read so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Now reading The Voyage of the Sable Keech by Neal Asher.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Currently torturing myself reading "Dune: The Butlerian Jihad" by the dreadful twosome of Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Looking forward to finally clearing all their books from my shelf :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

currently reading book seven from the saga of the seven suns by Kevin J Anderson

epic series defo worth a read :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Darren Shan the demonata series :D
    its the business :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

The Bolo series, awesomeness, and more of Ciaphas Cain, HERO of the Imperium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

currently reading book seven from the saga of the seven suns by Kevin J Anderson

epic series defo worth a read :D

I envy you, i started on books 2 just as it came out, killed me to keep waiting a year for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    The Bolo series, awesomeness, ,,,!

Keith Laumer?
    Excellent SF author IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Book of the New Sun Vol 2. Its good but I think I left it too long between the first book and this one because half the time I don't have a notion whats going on.

fitz0 wrote: »
    Book of the New Sun Vol 2. Its good but I think I left it too long between the first book and this one because half the time I don't have a notion whats going on.

You're not meant to. It's written in such a way that it grows in the rereading. There are a lot of things you won't pick up on your first read.

Started reading terry brooks stuff(voyage of jerle shanarra, 2/3 of the way through the sword of shannara trilogy)not great but i can't stop reading them for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

This week im readin The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan. Its based on the way things were before the dark magician trilogy. Only at the start of it but it seems very good so far, another great book from canavan imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

Currently attempting Neal Stephenson's "Anathem"

God it's tough to get through.. he just makes up his own words! makes the Baroque Trilogy seem like ann and barry go to the shops

• Advertisement

Wuhoo! I finished 'The Buterlian Jihad', one of the worst books I've read in years. Brian Herbert's body isn't even worthy of breaking down into water, such is his lack of talent.

Now moved onto 'The Shadow Road' by Sean Russell, the final installment in the Swan's War trilogy. The series a whole has been pretty unassuming - neither memorable nor irritating, it's pleasantly diverting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

Yeah, he seems to have broken the whole mythos of the dune universe, everything explained, everything made bland.

Damn!! wrote: »
    Currently attempting Neal Stephenson's "Anathem"

God it's tough to get through.. he just makes up his own words! makes the Baroque Trilogy seem like ann and barry go to the shops

great read though , stick with it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished "The Voyage of the Sable Keech", which was quite good, but not as good as "The Skinner".

Now going back to book 6 of the Amber books by Zelanzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭yarglags

Dades wrote: »
    Gonna be starting Heinlein's: "Strangers in a Strange Land" tonite.

Picked it up on a whim yesterday. Anyone like it?

I did enjoy Stranger in a Strange Land a couple of years end ended up reading tons of Heinlein. My favorite was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Wuhoo! I finished 'The Buterlian Jihad', one of the worst books I've read in years. Brian Herbert's body isn't even worthy of breaking down into water, such is his lack of talent.

I re-read Franks Dune books not too long ago and had a better appreciation for them the second time around. Are Brian's books that bad. Should I quit while I'm ahead?

Just finished The Integral Trees by Larry Niven... Incredible setting.

Currently reading 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss. Very enjoyable so far - nice style and interesting take on magic.
    yarglags wrote: »
    I re-read Franks Dune books not too long ago and had a better appreciation for them the second time around. Are Brian's books that bad. Should I quit while I'm ahead?
    The initial prequel trilogy is tolerable - not woeful, but not worth reading either. It fills in gaps that had no need to be filled and removes some of the mystery. It is pretty poorly written though - writing and prose is very functional and there's none of the depth of philosophy or culture of the original (besides what was stolen).

The last one I read though was awful - 'The Butlerian Jihad' read like the worst sort of fanwank. Should never have been commissioned.

Sandor wrote: »
    The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney. It took about three pages to grab me. A very good read so far.

Thanks for the recomendation, good read, altho i think they climaxed a bit too early.

Thanks for the recomendation, good read, altho i think they climaxed a bit too early.

I can see what you mean, but I think the last section added the touch that was needed.

Now reading Pyramids by Pratchett and taking a break from Les Mis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Just finishing up Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates at the moment; loving the Malazan Book of the Fallen so far.

• Advertisement

nearly done with "matter" iain m banks , a good read as always

Advertisement