Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    There was just too many under-developed ideas in it for my liking, but by all accounts he has reigned in his overexuberance somewhat lately.

I'm a once bitten, twice shy type. With so much quality out there I'm only going to be a completist, if the author hasn't let me down, particularly with the first experience of the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I decided to make a start on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series this week. I always wanted to but never got around to it. On book 3 at the minute. I am liking them while I read them but I dont have the feeling of oh my god I need to finish this that I usually get.

I'm going to stick with them though because they are really fun! All though probably wont read all in one go!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I remember having to stop reading one of the first ones - maybe the Light Fantastic - on a train one time because I was literally LOLing, but a few more of them that I read left me pretty cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

bradyle wrote: »
    I decided to make a start on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series this week.
    Could never get into them myself. It seemed like trying to slog through 39 different versions of Bored Of The Rings. The lampooning of fantasy memes just grated before I'd even finished The Colour Of Magic and the other one I read, Wyrd Sisters was 100% identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Could never get into them myself. It seemed like trying to slog through 39 different versions of Bored Of The Rings. The lampooning of fantasy memes just grated before I'd even finished The Colour Of Magic and the other one I read, Wyrd Sisters was 100% identical.

Yea they are a bit like that all right. But at the minute I'm travelling loads and like to read pretty easy going stuff when I'm moving about so they suit well. Anytime I travel and read something super interesting I always miss stops or get lost :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

There was just too many under-developed ideas in it for my liking, but by all accounts he has reigned in his overexuberance somewhat lately. I certainly have more of his books on my to read list.
    For example, that Garuda in Perdido. With all those steam powered cybernetic slaves, his antwoman girlfriend, skyscraper high fossil bones and transdimensional spider gods around the place, was it really so jawdropping to have a guy with wings walk into your shop?:)

that would have been unremarkable, but he didn't have wings !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Obviously needed some Red Bull.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading 'Salute the Dark' by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the fourth book in the Shadows of the Apt series. Enjoying it so far and it's been built up well from the preceding books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Took a break from Tad Williams' Shadow Books and decided to read Red Knight based on the recommendations here.

Didn't know there were 2 of them. :D

The Red Knight by K.T. Davies
    This one reminds me of the sense of adventure found on Feist's early Books, only for it to turn dark and serious in the end. The Book feels like a Prologue to something Bigger. Even so, the Story does not disappoint, and makes waiting for the Sequels, all that much harder.

So for those of you that like Feist, I highly recommend reading this book.

The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle) by Miles Cameron
    This one is really good. Definitely my kind of Fantasy. Lots of Swordfights and Fantastic Battles. The Magic System here reminds me of Modesitt's.

For those that enjoy this Book, I recommend checking out David Keck's In the Eye of Heaven and In a Time of Treason. Everything you loved about Cameron's Red Knight, you'd find them in abundance there.

Though Keck devised a World of Great Mythology even more Fantastic than the Alternate Fantasy Europe of Cameron, it is actually more rooted in Reality. Most of the Book is about Knights against Knights. Men against Men. Melee, Battles, Jousting, Swordfights.

And like I've said in a previous post, Durand Col (Keck's Protagonist) is John McClaine's (Die Hard Movie Protag) Fantasy Equivalent. So if you're hankering for a Non-stop Action Heroic Fantasy Book, I suggest you check out Keck's 2 Books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Fjc1rHti_original.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wool-Trilogy-1-ebook/dp/B00873GRU4/

Just finished WOOL by Hugh Howey, really liked it! It's a claustrophobic post apocalyptic tale of survivors living in "the silo". Highly recommended - and there's another 2 books in the trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Have just started Bloody Crown of Conan(#2) and Priest Kings of Gor(#3). Love R E Howard, and the Gor books are... well, you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Midnight Tides, for me it was the weakest of the series so far. Very hard to see how it ties into the bigger picture, and I found a lot of the humour to be tedious. It seemed like a whole different tone.
    Started Grass by Sheri S. Tepper, not sure what to make of it yet, its pretty confusing so far, but has promise.

Is Lies of Locke Lamora any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭donegal_man

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is Lies of Locke Lamora any use?

Yes, it really is very good indeed. The only reservation I had was that the end seemed a bit rushed but aside from that I enjoyed it immensely. One other caveat the chapters alternate between Locke's past and present, a plot device that led a friend of mine to abandon it fairly quickly.

Yes, it really is very good indeed. The only reservation I had was that the end seemed a bit rushed but aside from that I enjoyed it immensely. One other caveat the chapters alternate between Locke's past and present, a plot device that led a friend of mine to abandon it fairly quickly.

Yeah the timeline switching took me a second to figure out alright but it's not exactly taxing once you realise what he's doing.

I actually don't have any idea what it's about which might make it a bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭donegal_man

keane2097 wrote: »

Yeah the timeline switching took me a second to figure out alright but it's not exactly taxing once you realise what he's doing.

I actually don't have any idea what it's about which might make it a bit more interesting.

It gets clearer as the story progresses. The second in the series "Red Seas Under Red Skies" is better in my opinion. There are apparently intended to be seven in the complete epic but given that we've been waiting six years for part three (now due in September) I'm not holding my breath waiting to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Second is the better one all right. Stunner of an ending.
    Anyone else not too bothered if they never see the third at this stage? Two great books but the series never really got going and there isnt really an overarching story that needs to be finished yet.
    I think im anticipating Doors of Stone more despite liking the ba*tards more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

You saw Rothfuss put a little on facebook something about Auri having 7 days to save it all. Looking forward to that book too but not holding my breath on a release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Dades wrote: »
    Just started Ursela LeGuin's "Lathe of Heaven".
    My understanding is that this book is LeGuin's homage to PKD

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My understanding is that this book is LeGuin's homage to PKD
    That makes complete sense.

I made it halfway, and after a good start it had started to drift a good bit. A lot of psychobabble I was skimming at that point. So yesterday in a fit of pique I started Caliban's War for a change.

The dangers of a fully loaded Kindle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

Just finished the Rho project series by Richard Phillips, Not a bad read at all . Onto Enders game now after a lot of good reviews. most of the way through so far, a hrad book to put down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

pH wrote: »
    Fjc1rHti_original.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wool-Trilogy-1-ebook/dp/B00873GRU4/

Just finished WOOL by Hugh Howey, really liked it! It's a claustrophobic post apocalyptic tale of survivors living in "the silo". Highly recommended - and there's another 2 books in the trilogy.

Thanks for this recommendation - got it yesterday and 100 pages in already, good stuff so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thanks for this recommendation - got it yesterday and 100 pages in already, good stuff so far!

Just finished it myself yesterday, very good.

Has anyone read the follow up? Is it a continuation of the same story?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm thinking of giving Wool a go too.

Does anyone know if it's anything like Metro 2033?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Trojan wrote: »

I only read the first two, and played the Metro game, but those are nothing alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Trojan wrote: »

More like fallout!
    :)

Finally started the Lies of Locke Lamora. Knackered last night but i still managed to read 100 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Given up halfway through the 2nd book in "The Sword of Truth" series. Goodkind is not very good, and just seems to want to plagiarize other popular stories.

Decided to do a whole re-read of The Wheel of Time instead.

Funny 2nd one was the only 1 that i kinda liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Given up halfway through the 2nd book in "The Sword of Truth" series. Goodkind is not very good, and just seems to want to plagiarize other popular stories.

Decided to do a whole re-read of The Wheel of Time instead.

Remember seeing an interview with Robert Jordan years ago where he was asked about Terry Goodkind. All he said was 'i am aware of Mr. Goodkind'. Always stuck in my head.

Advertisement