Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Reading 'The Twelve' by Justin Cronin, sequel to 'The Passage'. Safe to say if you didn't like 'The Passage' you won't like this either but I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Coming to the end of a 2 week holiday, got through a few:-

Wool Omnibus, really enjoyed it. Very decent post-apocalyptic tale of the last people on earth living their lives in a giant underground silo.

The Ghost Brigade, really neat viewpoint. Preferred it to Old Mans War, as it leans more towards hard SciFi than the military SciFi of the first book. Having said that it's a very easy read.

And about 10% away from finishing The Waste Lands (Dark Tower 3) and its been the best thing I've read this year. Have vN by Madelaone Ashby still to read after that it will be straight back to the Dark Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Just starting His Majesty's Dragons by Naomi Novik

So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Half way through the Black Prism by Brent Weeks and enjoying it - fast paced fantasy with solid world building and decent characters. My only criticism is I'm a bit meh about the magic system but other than that it's a good page turner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished Old Man's War last night. REALLY liked it.

So much so I started The Ghost Brigades immediately. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

21% into self published success story "Raven's Shadow" by Anthony Ryan. It reminds me the Kingkiller Chronicles if not as well written. It is entertaining though and Ryan has a knack of easy prose that makes you keep going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ben Aaronovitch's "Moon Over Soho". Speeding through it and thoroughly enjoying it. If you've read "Rivers of London", you'lll know what to expect. Or maybe you won't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ixoy wrote: »
    21% into self published success story "Raven's Shadow" by Anthony Ryan. It reminds me the Kingkiller Chronicles if not as well written. It is entertaining though and Ryan has a knack of easy prose that makes you keep going.

It was the first independent Fantasy that I read that I really enjoyed. Now he's been snapped up I'm hoping the sequel is a lot more polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It reminds me the Kingkiller Chronicles if not as well written.

Oooohh interesting.

Read enders and speaker for the dead over the weekend, really liked them, hope they don't make an ass of the movie.

Then went back to prince of nothing and read possibly the most disturbing chapter i've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Leaviathan Wakes, it was very good. Great story, and leaves a lot of possibilities for further books. The author is a pen name for Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (George R.R. Martin's assistant). Currently reading Shadow & Betrayal based on how good it was. It's not at the same level so far, but I have a feeling the interesting stuff hasn't started yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash for Kindle is 99p on Amazon today so I'm going to give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash for Kindle is 99p on Amazon today so I'm going to give it a shot.

Cracking good book and a steal for that price - enjoy :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Finished the last of the Nightside series (#12) by Simon R. Green. Good end to the series. Starting "Great Northern Road" by Peter Hamilton, and given its size I may be finished sometime this or next century.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mcgovern wrote: »
    I finished Leaviathan Wakes, it was very good. Great story, and leaves a lot of possibilities for further books. The author is a pen name for Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (George R.R. Martin's assistant).
    The two sequels are already written!

Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate. :)

I've read the former (as good as LW) and just discovered the latter was published last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Dades wrote: »
    The two sequels are already written!

Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate. :)

I've read the former (as good as LW) and just discovered the latter was published last week!

Nice, from the synopses, it sounds like they explore a bit more of the solar system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Going through The Wise Man's Fear at the moment. Better than the first one so far IMO. Well, the start of the first one is probably better, but then nothing happened for the rest of the book. A bit more action in this one so far. Really like Kvothe as a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

keane2097 wrote: »
    Going through The Wise Man's Fear at the moment. Better than the first one so far IMO. Well, the start of the first one is probably better, but then nothing happened for the rest of the book. A bit more action in this one so far. Really like Kvothe as a character.

I actually love this series. Cannot wait for the second. Though you will probably think the first is better than the second by the end but still both fantastic books

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Read enders and speaker for the dead over the weekend, really liked them, hope they don't make an ass of the movie.

Recently read the first 3 Ender books. I really don't see how they'll make the film work. Enjoyable books but don't think it will translate well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Arawn wrote: »
    I actually love this series. Cannot wait for the second. Though you will probably think the first is better than the second by the end but still both fantastic books

Ooh I hope not! Thought the first was great up till about halfway through and then it just sort of trailed off to a damp squib of an ending. I think the author as much as admits it halfway through the second one where Kvothe says something to the effect of
    "I've probably kept us at the university for too long" to Chronicler

I'm 2/3 through it now and think it's way better than the first tbh. A lot of the
    faffing around with Ambrose and getting into trouble with the masters in the first book annoyed me. It was all a bit "Not Another Teen Wizard at School Novel...". I came back because I liked the characters (although I'm not really blown away by some of the prose), even though I found the story itself pretty dull. This one there's been a lot more action so far and I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

keane2097 wrote: »
    This one there's been a lot more action so far

There certainly is, a whole 100 pages of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Valaquenta wrote: »
    Recently read the first 3 Ender books. I really don't see how they'll make the film work. Enjoyable books but don't think it will translate well
    From the Ender audio book he stated that they would use the book Ender's shadow to tell the story of the book rather then the book itself to solve this (to avoid all the monologues in his head etc.).

Nody wrote: »
    From the Ender audio book he stated that they would use the book Ender's shadow to tell the story of the book rather then the book itself to solve this (to avoid all the monologues in his head etc.).

Aaah ok. I haven't read that one. Must get on to more of the series so. Awful lot to get thru!!

They trailers for the movie haven't really blown me away. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised....

Currently reading "The Unravelling" by Hugh Howey, the fourth book in his Wool series. Very good so far (well about halfway through since it's short) and nicely bringing together a number of plot threads from the previous three books.

Reading "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut. Saw it cheap online and knew that it had sci-fi elements. It's a little strange and not my normal read but decent enough anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Reading "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut. Saw it cheap online and knew that it had sci-fi elements. It's a little strange and not my normal read but decent enough anyway.
    I found it an unsettling book to read, but stylistically well written and stirred my interest in that area. I'd recommend "Welcome to the Monkeyhouse", his collection of short stories as slightly less depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Reading "Red Skies Under Red Seas". About 200 pages in, a cracking read so far, much like its predecessor.

Finished The Black Company. Not impressed at all. And going by reviews here and elsewhere I'm rather surprised. I'll read the 2nd book and see if that is any better

Finished The Black Company. Not impressed at all. And going by reviews here and elsewhere I'm rather surprised. I'll read the 2nd book and see if that is any better
    Ah but there's a number of posters here, myself included, who are also unimpressed. Still haven't finished the second book!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Are you referring to the first book proper (i.e. this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Black-Company-Chronicle/dp/0812521390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371475686&sr=8-1&keywords=the+black+company) or the Omnibus of the first series with the first three books (this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chronicles-Black-Company-Shadows-Linger/dp/0575084170/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371475723&sr=8-2&keywords=the+black+company)?

• Advertisement

RoboAmish wrote: »

tis the omnibus. So Book 1 from that. Being a glutton for punishment I'll more than likely read the 3 books. I think if the book affords more of an opportunity to get to know the characters, it'll get better.

As an aside, I heard that the killings were quite graphic an not for the faint-hearted. I'd like to discuss that with that dumbass(es)!!!

Advertisement