Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finished Pyramids. Terry Pratchett can do know wrong. Eagerly await buying my next handful of Discworld novels.
    Right now I'm not positive on what I'll read next but I just found out that Drood has been out since the fifth of this month! It's a strong contender if I get to a book shop in the next day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

currently reading book seven from the saga of the seven suns by Kevin J Anderson

epic series defo worth a read :D

I read from 1 through to 6 (as per my last few posts on this thread). Waiting to see 7 in "regular" paperback over here before I buy it.

TBH, I'll mostly only read 7 to get to the end. I don't dislike it, but the further I got through it, the less I could understand why people raved about it (I know several).

Each to their own...

Anyway...since then I've read Drood (by Dan Simmons) which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Currently started into Lies of Locke Lamora, which is immensely promising thus far.

FYI, Lies is a brilliant read. One to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

growler wrote: »
    nearly done with "matter" iain m banks , a good read as always

Just starting this myself about 100 pages in. Glad to hear it will pick up!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

The Mad Ship (Robin Hobb). Book 2 of the Liveship Traders. Good read so far. Got it as a present from someone who didn't get the fact that it would probably be better to give me Book 1 first !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

bonkey wrote: »
    I read from 1 through to 6 (as per my last few posts on this thread). Waiting to see 7 in "regular" paperback over here before I buy it.

TBH, I'll mostly only read 7 to get to the end. I don't dislike it, but the further I got through it, the less I could understand why people raved about it (I know several).

Each to their own...

Anyway...since then I've read Drood (by Dan Simmons) which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Currently started into Lies of Locke Lamora, which is immensely promising thus far.

know what you mean about anderson, great concepts and imagination but it does kinda fizzle out a bit

lies is a good read alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Taking a break from The Black Company to read Ian Irvine's Well of Echoes series. About halfway through Geomancer in the last day. Quite easy to read, quite engaging so far.

Haven't gotten myself to a book shop yet. I finished most of Neil Gaimans short stories that I hadn't yet read from Smoke and Mirrors. He has an exceptional nack for them. They have much more impact than his longer fiction. One of my favorites is definitely Snow, Apple, Glass. It's a very different take on Snow White, a story I never really liked. Basically,
    Snow White is an evil vampiric child and the ill fated queen is the narrator.
    Currently reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. It's going so so. I find in classics that the characters have the most irritating traits of proffessing their love and admiration a thousand times over for someone they have just met. It becomes an irritant when you see it on every page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

ixoy wrote: »
    Wuhoo! I finished 'The Buterlian Jihad', one of the worst books I've read in years. Brian Herbert's body isn't even worthy of breaking down into water, such is his lack of talent.

I agree 100% - those prequel books are utter sh1te.
    (They don't even fall into the so-bad-it's-good category. )

"Kevin J Anderson", if that is in fact his real name, should not be let off the hook either though.
    In fact, since he is allegedly a "writer", he should shoulder most of the blame :eek: :mad: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

Sandor wrote: »
    Haven't gotten myself to a book shop yet. I finished most of Neil Gaimans short stories that I hadn't yet read from Smoke and Mirrors. He has an exceptional nack for them. They have much more impact than his longer fiction. One of my favorites is definitely Snow, Apple, Glass. It's a very different take on Snow White, a story I never really liked. Basically,
    Snow White is an evil vampiric child and the ill fated queen is the narrator.
    Currently reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. It's going so so. I find in classics that the characters have the most irritating traits of proffessing their love and admiration a thousand times over for someone they have just met. It becomes an irritant when you see it on every page.
    Gaiman's a genius, have you read the short story Troll bridge.. i have the audio book read by gaiman.. it's even more atmospheric when you hear him putting in every inflection. and also extremely creepy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Taking another break from the Great Book of Amber (6 or 7 down, a few more to go) and reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

Now reading Drood.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

After reading Dean Koontz's "Velocity", I'm now reading "Forever Peace" the thematic sequel to "Forever War". Quite good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

Finished Anathem, Great book but i think another read in 6 months or so might be needed to get my head around all the concepts.

Great sci fi though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally finished "Stranger in a Strange Land". Maybe I shouldn't have picked up the unabridged (600+ pages) version but I thought it really dragged after the first 3rd or so.

Picked up a sci-fi compilation called "New Legends", edited by Greg Bear for €1.99 in Chapters, which I'm reading now.

Not bad at all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I just finished "Matter" by Iain Banks. Well written and all, but IMHO not really a patch on his earlier work. Didn't really get going till page 500 or so :rolleyes:
    Specifically, too much pseudo-medieval drudgery and not enough Culture/SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm reading "Halo: Ghosts of Onyx" by Eric Nylund. epic stuff:D

Finished Lies and Red Skies over Red Seas. Both excellent...although the former is probably slightly stronger than the latter.

Now almost finished The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie). Not bad, but its missing something....I'm just not sure what. Will certainly continue reading the series.

Finished Lies and Red Skies over Red Seas. Both excellent...although the former is probably slightly stronger than the latter.
    Agreed. In fact I'd go so far as to say it was perhaps the best debut fantasy novel I've ever read (including "Magician"). Very keen to pick up the next part in the seven book series, "The Republic of Thieves" is due in November.
    Now almost finished The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie). Not bad, but its missing something....I'm just not sure what. Will certainly continue reading the series.
    That's what I thought too - good, but I couldn't understand the praise it was getting. I've read the series gets progressively better and I have book two on my shelf but I was just expecting more. As a debut novel it wasn't a patch on "The Lies of Locke Lamorra" or "The Name of the Wind" (which I read recently).

Currently I'm on "Antrax" by Terry Brooks. Pretty easy stuff - not amazing but I do like the sci-fi mix he's put in. Probably finish it in the next couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭eagleye7

hey guys anyone read any of Raymond E Feist's stuff i just finished his newest one "Rides a Dread Legion" still as good as ever in my opinion. Pity I only bought it yesterday and now i wanna read the next one already!

Stupid writers should write as fast as i read:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Feists early works are great magician ,silverthorn and adarkness atsethanon aswell as his stuff with janny wurths they actually might be better. his later stuff is all tripe to be honest he just retconned the **** out of his earlier work wrath of a mad god and the one b4 that were horrible i really think his later works are almost realsed just for the moey ther so poorly done i didnt even bother picking upthe latest 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭eagleye7

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Feists early works are great magician ,silverthorn and adarkness atsethanon aswell as his stuff with janny wurths they actually might be better. his later stuff is all tripe to be honest he just retconned the **** out of his earlier work wrath of a mad god and the one b4 that were horrible i really think his later works are almost realsed just for the moey ther so poorly done i didnt even bother picking upthe latest 1

i figured someone might say that and i suppose its true but im still a sucker for his work it manages to draw me in every time i do admit that hes not as original but thats the case with any series to be honest its one of the reasons i believe all sequels should be banned. i think it would be in the best interest of all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally dove in and started my first Iain M Banks Culture novel...

Really enjoying Consider Phlebas at the moment. Not half as 'hard' as I expected it would be. A really great mix of good sci-fi and old fashioned action. :)

Finished 'Antrax' (not bad), read 'The Toyminator' by Robert Rankin (thought it was quite bad) and am now reading 'Glasshouse' by Charles Stross.

It's a sort of sequel to 'Accelerando' (set in the same universe many years on) and is quite interesting - so far I quite like the concept of FTL travel described in the form of network routers, firewalls, and DMZs..

On to book 3 by now.

Its growing on me, but its still missing something...and I'm still not sure what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

On to book 3 by now.

Its growing on me, but its still missing something...and I'm still not sure what.

I'm amazed that there isn't more love for these books around, I bought the first one online and took it down the country to read on holiday, ended up trawling local bookshops the next day to buy the second two.

I like the way you think something is missing, I probably agree, though the one thing that they have going for them is the thing that isn't missing - the ending! - here's a complete story, not the best every written, but a rip-roaring read - I can't believe anyone who likes RR Martin wouldn't enjoy them immensely.

Anyway on to me - about to start Hyperion - wish me luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

pH wrote: »

Anyway on to me - about to start Hyperion - wish me luck ;)

keep with it, it starts a little slow (and wierd) but its a hell of a series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

I'm currently reading High Lord.

Currently on 'Evil for Evil', Book 2 of the Engineer Trilogy by K.J. Parker. Pretty good so far although not much has happened. I still appreciate his/her no-nonsense writing style which is refreshing in fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Death's Head, by David Gunn.

Really rather entertaining. Probably not a Great Novel, but it's easy to read, it's got futuristic psychotic bastard mercenaries and lots of things explode on a fairly regular basis. Fun stuff.

Advertisement