Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ixoy wrote: »
    Ah but there's a number of posters here, myself included, who are also unimpressed. Still haven't finished the second book!
    Same here except book 3 instead of 2; I only read it because it was suppose to be very strong and fizzle out but for me it was fizzle from the start :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I read the first two and thought they were great FWIW!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Valaquenta wrote: »
    tis the omnibus. So Book 1 from that. Being a glutton for punishment I'll more than likely read the 3 books. I think if the book affords more of an opportunity to get to know the characters, it'll get better.

As an aside, I heard that the killings were quite graphic an not for the faint-hearted. I'd like to discuss that with that dumbass(es)!!!

Ah yeah, read the second book in the collection alright. It's easily the best book in the entire series for me. The third book is good but the pace is a bit too frantic at times and it's all a little too overly surreal at times.

It's all downhill from there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

RoboAmish wrote: »
    Ah yeah, read the second book in the collection alright. It's easily the best book in the entire series for me. The third book is good but the pace is a bit too frantic at times and it's all a little too overly surreal at times.

It's all downhill from there though...

Feck, that's a pity. Was really looking forward to digging into something substantial for a few months. I'll see how book 2 goes anyway....

Is there any author who does fantasy that appeals to most fans? A song of Ice and Fire seems to be the last thing that has really done it for me. Might read some more Robin Hobb actually

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is there any author who does fantasy that appeals to most fans?
    Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy might fit the bill here. Accessible and very enjoyable. I mean Malazan is a great series but accessible it is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I read 6 books of The Black Company. The first I didn't like in the slightest. The second was a bit a better, and I thought they improved from there.

The Black Company (Croaker) - didn't like pace/writing style
    Shadows Linger (Croaker) - much improved from first book
    The White Rose (Croaker) - good

Shadow Games (Croaker) - good
    Dreams of Steel (Lady) - good
    The Silver Spike (Case) - very good

Bleak Seasons (Murgen) - found this difficult to get started so gave up.

I'm pretty intolerant so I'm surprised I managed to read 6 of them :)

Trojan wrote: »
    I read 6 books of The Black Company. The first I didn't like in the slightest. The second was a bit a better, and I thought they improved from there.

I'm pretty intolerant so I'm surprised I managed to read 6 of them :)

cool. I'm usually too stubborn to give up. After starting Ian Irvine's View From a Mirror quartet, I had to finish it!! That says it all really...

cool. I'm usually too stubborn to give up. After starting Ian Irvine's View From a Mirror quartet, I had to finish it!! That says it all really...

Such a bad trait to have as a fantasy fan! So much rubbish out there spanning so many volumes! You really need to know when to cut the cord as a fantasy reader IMO.

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy might fit the bill here. Accessible and very enjoyable. I mean Malazan is a great series but accessible it is not.

Ya, Mistborn is on the list alright. Read the first Malazan. Really did nothing for me. In the preface Erikson says you'll either a) give up half way or b) finish the book and go on to read the whole series. Seems I'm too awkward to fit either category!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Such a bad trait to have as a fantasy fan! So much rubbish out there spanning so many volumes! You really need to know when to cut the cord as a fantasy reader IMO.

Completely agree. Must have some form of OCD:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Mistborn is on my to-read list, along with Warbreaker. Have read Elantris (great debut) and The Way of Kings (love, love, love it) already. Will return once I'm done with Scott Lynch.

Love Malazan but wouldn't recommend it to too many. Very much an acquired taste.

Have you tried Joe Abercrombie's works Valaquenta? Only other recommendation I could add... maybe Patrick Rothfuss too, but that couldn't be more removed from GRRM's style.

I'm pretty intolerant so I'm surprised I managed to read 6 of them

Heh, I got one book further than you, but I absolutely struggled through Bleak Seasons. Murgen didn't work for me as a narrator. Couldn't bear going any further... might return again someday but not anytime soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can only echo the praise for Abercrombie and you could also look at Richard Morgan though he's mostly SciFi and his fantasy is really a mix. You got the Kingkiller Chronicle's but only up to two books (but rather thick once) by Patrick Rothfuss and of course Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch. None of them are your average fantasy world and rather darker in their story then usual (i.e. the boy don't always get their girl).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Feck, that's a pity. Was really looking forward to digging into something substantial for a few months. I'll see how book 2 goes anyway....

Is there any author who does fantasy that appeals to most fans? A song of Ice and Fire seems to be the last thing that has really done it for me. Might read some more Robin Hobb actually

I don't think there's a Fantasy Author that Appeals to every Fan.

I mean, me and my Close Friends are huge Fans of LE Modesitt, that even with our Huge Backlogs, we always seem not only to find Time to Read his New Release but also Re-read his previous ones.

So it came as a Surprise to me that none in Boards are even Enthused about him. At least that's the Sentiment I got when I made a Thread about him.

Another is Joe Abercrombie, a Perennial Board's Favorite and Critic Darling, and I find him Overrated. His First Law Trilogy reads like a Poor Satire of Eddings' Belgariad. Not that I didn't enjoy the Books, mind you. But I just don't get what the Fuss is all about, and how he is getting this Universal Praise. So he Twisted Belgariad's Story, and that's it? Maybe if I didn't Read Belgariad, I would have thought better of First Law. Maybe...

Probably the closest to what you are looking for is David Gemmell. Easy-to-Read Tales about Heroic Fantasy. It doesn't have much Substance but then again, not everyone wants to Read a Story about a Hero who Cries every Time he Kills or a Scumbag with a Heart of Gold.

I don't think there's a Fantasy Author that Appeals to every Fan.

Another is Joe Abercrombie, a Perennial Board's Favorite and Critic Darling, and I find him Overrated. His First Law Trilogy reads like a Poor Satire of Eddings' Belgariad. Not that I didn't enjoy the Books, mind you. But I just don't get what the Fuss is all about, and how he is getting this Universal Praise. So he Twisted Belgariad's Story, and that's it? Maybe if I didn't Read Belgariad, I would have thought better of First Law. Maybe...

Probably the closest to what you are looking for is David Gemmell. Easy-to-Read Tales about Heroic Fantasy. It doesn't have much Substance but then again, not everyone wants to Read a Story about a Hero who Cries every Time he Kills or a Scumbag with a Heart of Gold.

I've come across Abercrombie but yet to read anything. I have The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss at home for ages, but he really seems to take his time with releases so gonna wait til the trilogy is done before I start it. It's bad enough waiting for the next GrrM one.

I've read a fair bit of Gemmell. As you say, easy reading but certainly not bad at all. I've read the Belgariad too and the Belgarath/Polgara books. The dialogue just really started to grate on me after a while. It's a bit too simplistic also. Even Harry Potter is more cleverly written.

I've come across Abercrombie but yet to read anything. I have The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss at home for ages, but he really seems to take his time with releases so gonna wait til the trilogy is done before I start it. It's bad enough waiting for the next GrrM one.

I've read a fair bit of Gemmell. As you say, easy reading but certainly not bad at all. I've read the Belgariad too and the Belgarath/Polgara books. The dialogue just really started to grate on me after a while. It's a bit too simplistic also. Even Harry Potter is more cleverly written.

Why don't you try Reading Abercrombie, see if you have a different Opinion than mine.

Maybe the Hype got to me. But I was certainly expecting something Different. Not a Fan Fiction Retread of a Popular Fantasy Series, that I've already Read.

Why don't you try Reading Abercrombie, see if you have a different Opinion than mine.

Maybe the Hype got to me. But I was certainly expecting something Different. Not a Fan Fiction Retread of a Popular Fantasy Series, that I've already Read.

I'll plough on with the Black Company for another while but I'll try Abercrombie after that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Have you read all of Abercrombie's work? Not really getting the Belgariad comparison... maybe some meta arc similarities in that
    there are forces at work in the world that are manipulating events
    but I havent picked up the Belgariad since I was 14 so cant really remember. Eddings though is a poor writer and imo is more akin to teen fantasy then adult fantasy when you look at other authors in the genre today (the genre was pretty immature back then though). Abercrombie writes amazing viscereal characters and his themes are mature and make you reflect... which imo is a hallmark of any great writer, the ability to transcend the genre you write in by using it mainly as a vehicle for the message you are trying get across. The Heroes was one of the best anti-war books I have read.

Still on the Wise Man's Fear and have to say the Adem are pretty annoying.

Playboy wrote: »
    Have you read all of Abercrombie's work? Not really getting the Belgariad comparison... maybe some meta arc similarities in that
    there are forces at work in the world that are manipulating events
    but I havent picked up the Belgariad since I was 14 so cant really remember. Eddings though is a poor writer and imo is more akin to teen fantasy then adult fantasy when you look at other authors in the genre today (the genre was pretty immature back then though). Abercrombie writes amazing viscereal characters and his themes are mature and make you reflect... which imo is a hallmark of any great writer, the ability to transcend the genre you write in by using it mainly as a vehicle for the message you are trying get across. The Heroes was one of the best anti-war books I have read.

I have Read Heroes, and yeah I thought that was Good. But the Hype for Abercrombie definitely started from First Law, not there. I think Critics called it Subversive Fantasy or some other Rubbish Sub Genre. But if were looking at the Best of that Sub Genre, then that would be Bakker's Prince of Nothing, which also released earlier than First Law. Then if were looking for the Absolute King (or Queen?) of that Genre, then that would be KJ Parker. But you certainly don't Read anything about those Authors being Lauded at the same Breath as Abercrombie.

As for Eddings, yeah he definitely has his Flaws, but you have to understand that I read him when I was 7. And that's after coming at the back of LOTR (Which is hard to Read with it's Obscure English) and Hamilton's Mythology. So it's kinda like my Harry Potter Moment back then. The Fantasy Series that made me a Lifelong Fan of the Genre. So definitely Rose-Tinted Glasses and all that.

If Abercrombie came during that Time, I would probably hold him in Higher Regard. But he didn't.

As for being Visceral and Mature, well that's kinda the Norm these Days. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Is there any author who does fantasy that appeals to most fans?
    I doubt if anyone's ever read Moorcock or Leiber and said jaysus that's awful muck?
    Latterly I don't hear too many regrets voiced over reading Guy Gavriel Kay.

• Advertisement

Reading the novella "Silently and Very Fast" by Catherynne M. Valente. It's about the growth of an AI into sentience and it's good so far - thoughtful and imaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I have Read Heroes, and yeah I thought that was Good. But the Hype for Abercrombie definitely started from First Law, not there. I think Critics called it Subversive Fantasy or some other Rubbish Sub Genre. But if were looking at the Best of that Sub Genre, then that would be Bakker's Prince of Nothing, which also released earlier than First Law. Then if were looking for the Absolute King (or Queen?) of that Genre, then that would be KJ Parker. But you certainly don't Read anything about those Authors being Lauded at the same Breath as Abercrombie.

As for Eddings, yeah he definitely has his Flaws, but you have to understand that I read him when I was 7. And that's after coming at the back of LOTR (Which is hard to Read with it's Obscure English) and Hamilton's Mythology. So it's kinda like my Harry Potter Moment back then. The Fantasy Series that made me a Lifelong Fan of the Genre. So definitely Rose-Tinted Glasses and all that.

If Abercrombie came during that Time, I would probably hold him in Higher Regard. But he didn't.

As for being Visceral and Mature, well that's kinda the Norm these Days. :D

Well different strokes and all that. R. Scott Bakker has been a fav of mine for years... Read the first book soon after it was published and have been waiting patiently for years for him to conclude that series. I've been banging the drum on here for quite a while now but he isn't everyone's taste as he is quite dark, heavy on the philosophy and his books read like a Greek tragedy with little to no comic relief.

I'm not sure I would put Abercrombie in the same category.. He jumps between comedy and horror quite frequently and for me the events always take a backseat to the characters. I could read pages about Logan mowing the lawn and be hooked, he writes him that well. With Bakker I actually don't like any of the characters... the plot is always front and centre even though the characters are developed very well. In comparison to Abercrombie I wouldn't actually be interested in Bakkers characters if the plot wasn't moving them forward. Thematically I also find them very different, Bakker is far more abstract and if you didn't have a background in philosophy then large chunks would go over your head. Abercrombie's themes are much more relatable to the here and now and his characters internal struggles seem familiar. Love them both but for very different reasons.

KJ Parker I haven't read any of nor heard anything about! I'm off to the bookstore now! Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Greg Bear - Hull Zero Three,
    3.5/5

Playboy wrote: »
    I've been banging the drum on here for quite a while now but he isn't everyone's taste as he is quite dark, heavy on the philosophy and his books read like a Greek tragedy with little to no comic relief.
    Agreed. He's tough going at times but the philosophical elements can be worth it. But it's one of the bleakest series I've ever read - almost consistently downbeat. It doesn't help, as you point out, that the characters are nearly all bastards to some degree or another (Kellhus being a perfect example). Interesting people but you can't always empathise with them.
    KJ Parker I haven't read any of nor heard anything about! I'm off to the bookstore now! Thanks :-)
    KJ's characters can also be utter bastards, particularly in the Engineer trilogy. The humour though can be very sharp although it's of the very black cynical kind. Parker's character's tend to have very believable thought processes.
    On the other hand prepare yourself for sometimes mind-numbing detail of medieval processes - forging for example or some elements of engineering.

Agreed. He's tough going at times but the philosophical elements can be worth it. But it's one of the bleakest series I've ever read - almost consistently downbeat. It doesn't help, as you point out, that the characters are nearly all bastards to some degree or another (Kellhus being a perfect example). Interesting people but you can't always empathise with them.

KJ's characters can also be utter bastards, particularly in the Engineer trilogy. The humour though can be very sharp although it's of the very black cynical kind. Parker's character's tend to have very believable thought processes.
    On the other hand prepare yourself for sometimes mind-numbing detail of medieval processes - forging for example or some elements of engineering.

Dark something akin to the Thomas Covenant stuff?

Dark something akin to the Thomas Covenant stuff?

It's Similar and yet Different.

Similar in that you'd find alot of Thomas Covenant-Type Characters in both Bakker's and Parker's Books. You know, the Type that you won't particularly Miss if they Died because they are too much of an A$shole. At least Covenant has an Excuse of Sorts. These guys? Not so much. :D

Different, in that at least Bakker's and Parker's Worlds are much more Better Realized in the Fantasy-Sense. CTC's Fantasy World is a very simple LOTR-Derivative. Totally Lifeless and Devoid of Interest.

TBH, I've had an easier Time reading Parker's and Bakker's than the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Not that the other 2 Author's Works were Easy-Reading (Far from it), it's just that Donaldson's CTC is so Heavy in its going and has very few Payoff. No Intrigue, Plot is Simple, Actions/Fighting are a Snoozefest, and apart from Thomas Covenant, None of the Other Characters are Well-Developed or Engaging.

With that said, everyone should at least read Donaldson's Mordant's Need Duology, and Reave the Just and Other Tales. The Former is IMO Donaldson's Best Books, while the Latter is probably the 2nd Best Short Story Collection next to Jack Vance's Dying Earth.

It's Similar and yet Different.

Similar in that you'd find alot of Thomas Covenant-Type Characters in both Bakker's and Parker's Books. You know, the Type that you won't particularly Miss if they Died because they are too much of an A$shole. At least Covenant has an Excuse of Sorts. These guys? Not so much. :D

Different, in that at least Bakker's and Parker's Worlds are much more Better Realized in the Fantasy-Sense. CTC's Fantasy World is a very simple LOTR-Derivative. Totally Lifeless and Devoid of Interest.

TBH, I've had an easier Time reading Parker's and Bakker's than the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Not that the other 2 Author's Works were Easy-Reading (Far from it), it's just that Donaldson's CTC is so Heavy in its going and has very few Payoff. No Intrigue, Plot is Simple, Actions/Fighting are a Snoozefest, and apart from Thomas Covenant, None of the Other Characters are Well-Developed or Engaging.

With that said, everyone should at least read Donaldson's Mordant's Need Duology, and Reave the Just and Other Tales. The Former is IMO Donaldson's Best Books, while the Latter is probably the 2nd Best Short Story Collection next to Jack Vance's Dying Earth.

Thank you kindly. That was very informative. Must check out those other Donaldson books. Totally agree with your assessment of Thomas Covenant.

+1 on Jack Vance too.

Reading another novella - "Doctor Who: The Angel's Kiss" by "Melody Mallone". Short and sweet so far and Justin Richards has accurately captured Riversong's voice.

Gave up part way through the second Covenant book. Thought they were laughably bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

keane2097 wrote: »
    Gave up part way through the second Covenant book. Thought they were laughably bad!

I forced myself to read the first 3, but I agree, they are terrible.

Advertisement