Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On to better stuff: "The Silent Stars Go By" by Dan Abnett, an 11th Doctor adventure in BBC's Doctor Who original novels series, this time featuring the Ice Warriors. It's good fun, evokes the TV series perfectly, and will be a nice light read it looks.

Also began dipping into "Intergalactic Medicine Show Awards Anthology, Volume 1". It's a short story collection. Only onto the first one so far so can't yet tell the general quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ok, I got 4 books into The Stainless Steel Rat and I think it's time to bail.

First two were very good: 4/5. Second two: 3/5 and 2/5. I'm really not into the time travel stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Trojan wrote: »
    Ok, I got 4 books into The Stainless Steel Rat and I think it's time to bail.

First two were very good: 4/5. Second two: 3/5 and 2/5. I'm really not into the time travel stuff.

You did a lot better than me. I'd had this series recommended to me so ofter that I finally decided to give it a go. I got about two thirds of the way through the first one and could take no more.

You did a lot better than me. I'd had this series recommended to me so ofter that I finally decided to give it a go. I got about two thirds of the way through the first one and could take no more.

I understand. I always give these older ones a lot more leeway.

I know that if I read some of Asimov's Multivac-this and Univac-that stories in 2013 instead of 1985 I'd have a lot less time for them. Same for Heinlein, early Clarke, Bradbury, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I'm really not into the time travel stuff.

Know of any good modern time travel series or novels? Dont think I have ever read a good one but love the concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Playboy wrote: »
    Know of any good modern time travel series or novels? Dont think I have ever read a good one but love the concept.

John Birmingham's Axis of time, naval task force from 2020 gets transported into the middle of the battle of midway. Sounds daft but was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

John Birmingham's Axis of time, naval task force from 2020 gets transported into the middle of the battle of midway. Sounds daft but was interesting.

The Plot is eerily similar to a Manga/Anime called Zipang.

From Wiki:
    A modern Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, the guided missile destroyer, JDS Mirai (みらい, meaning "future"), is en route to participate in a military exercise with the United States Navy near Hawaii. In the vicinity of Midway Island it encounters a strange meteorological phenomenon that throws it back through time to the eve of the Battle of Midway of World War II. After rescuing an Imperial Japanese Navy commissioned officer, Takumi Kusaka, the “Mirai” and its crew go on to affect the course of history itself.

230px-Zipang_volume_43_cover.png

Trailer for the Anime

Zipang came out in 2000, while JB's Axis of Time came in 2004.
    Playboy wrote: »

I haven't Read any Time Travel Book set in Modern Times. But I have Read 1 Book with Time Travel in it.

Timegod's World Omnibus, is a Collection of 2 Novels by LE Modesitt Jr.

Think Norse Mythology with a Sci Fi Twist.

The Norse Gods in this, are more like Humans that are Immortal and Blessed with Time Powers. And they use their Time Powers against other Civilizations, so that they remain Unchallenged in the Cosmos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Finished Metro 2033 last night, and I've got to say it was one of the best reads I've had in bloody ages. My only gripe would be it felt a bit rushed at the end. It had everything though, SF bits, horror bits, political satire, alternative history you name it. They could spin an awesome movie out of it, especially now they've a video game following. (or it could be terrible, you know the way it is)
    So, that's a new one, so next on the rotation is an oldie. Gonna try Time And Again by Jack Finney. No idea what to expect. Blurb makes it sound like one of the more incomprehensible Dr Who episodes. Timey Wimey etc.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Just finished The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks last night. Really enjoyed it!! Loved Kip's chapters cant wait for the next book, but sadly no info on when it will be published as far as i can see :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Started the last of the Expanse series, Abaddon's Gate.

Familiar territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Finished Metro 2033 last night, and I've got to say it was one of the best reads I've had in bloody ages. My only gripe would be it felt a bit rushed at the end. It had everything though, SF bits, horror bits, political satire, alternative history you name it. They could spin an awesome movie out of it, especially now they've a video game following. (or it could be terrible, you know the way it is)

Yup, really good book that could make for a deadly movie. As long as Will Smith isn't chosen for the role. Admittedly he was much better than expected in I Robot, but was a terrible choice for I Am Legend.

Could see Metro being difficult enough to film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Finished the first Black Company Omnibus (The Books of the North):
    The Black Company 1/5
    Shadows Linger 3/5
    The White Rose 2.5/5

Took longer than expected to get through them. Gonna try get through The Books of the South a bit quicker. Hoping they improve too. Average enough so far

Valaquenta wrote: »
    Finished the first Black Company Omnibus (The Books of the North):
    The Black Company 1/5
    Shadows Linger 3/5
    The White Rose 2.5/5

Took longer than expected to get through them. Gonna try get through The Books of the South a bit quicker. Hoping they improve too. Average enough so far

I found the Books of the South better, and I'd have rated the North similar (though a little higher) to you.

Reading the novella "The Wurms of Blearmouth" by Steven Erikson, the latest in his Korbal & Bauchelain novels (and, might I add, bloody expensive in these little slim hardback editions but I didn't want to wait for the cheaper collected volumes).

So far, it's good and it's got the banter that marks out Erikson's books from the rest of the crowd. Won't take me long to finish either I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

I found the Books of the South better, and I'd have rated the North similar (though a little higher) to you.

Interesting. I liked the Books of the South enough but I wouldn't say they're a patch on the Books of the North. Was oddly disengaged by the whole thing and found the whole...
    Bringing a bunch of dead Taken members back to life asinine. The whole weird prophecy involving Lady didn't do much for me either, despite some interesting imagery. The way he tried to juggle the various religions was a little amateurish too.

Just started The Hero Of Ages. Loved The Final Empire, and thought The Well Of Ascension picked up well after a slow start but was still a bit aimless with strange pacing. Still enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Just purchased The Modern Bodyguard,

Reading "Avogadro Corp" by William Hertling, the first book in his Singularity series.
    It's another one of those books I picked up cheaply on Amazon to try and broaden my view of what would, pre-Kindle, have never come to my attention. 12% in and it looks set to show what happens when a thinly-veiled Google corporation (Avogadro - also a big number like a Googol), develops a predictive analysis algorithm from e-mails that spins out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Kim Stanley Robinson - 2312 - 4.25/5

Kim Stanley Robinson - 2312 - 4.25/5

I've been looking at reading some KSR - I have a couple of the Mars books that I didn't really get into about 10, 15 years ago. Is her stuff worth another look?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I've been looking at reading some KSR - I have a couple of the Mars books that I didn't really get into about 10, 15 years ago. Is her stuff worth another look?

Her? and yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

A mixed bunch recently

Great:
    The Martian by Andy Weir. Funny, well written and original. I hope he makes it big!
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. It's been on my to-read list for ages as I try to catch up on some classics and well worth getting around to.

Very good:
    Abbadons Gate by James SA Corey. Didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two in the trilogy but still probably the best new scifi series I've read in the last few years.

Meh:
    Redshirts by John Scalzi. I wanted to love this and I did in places but it seemed like a short story that was being stretched to novel length. Still light entertainment and some laughs.
    Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I'm not sure if my expectations were too high after hearing some great things but this didn't blow me away. I kept waiting for there to be more depth to the characters and world.
    Unfettered by Shawn Speakman. This is a short story collection edited by Speakman but the lineup of authors is fairly incredible (including Brooks, Rothfuss & Sanderson). It's also for a good cause of raising money for Shawn Speakman after he was bankrupted after getting cancer for the second time! The stories themselves were hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Just finished Theft of Swords the first book in Micheal J Sullivan's Riyria Revelations.

Really enjoyed it. Loved the story and think it was well written specially when you consider it was his first book and he originally had to self publish it.
    I moved straight onto the second in the series which is good so far but only started so will have to let you know when I finish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

bradyle wrote: »
    Just finished Theft of Swords the first book in Micheal J Sullivan's Riyria Revelations.

I enjoyed that series, wouldn't say it was brilliant but it was fun, some good humour in it and a lot of nice plot twists. From the 1st book did you get the feeling that it was made with a TV show in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

Lately I have been reading classics from the early to mid 20th century, such as The King of Elflands Daughter by Lord Dunsany. This is a beutifully written story that entails all sorts of mysticism and magic. It is a quick read too!

The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke is another classic about Earth in the distant future.

Replay by Ken Grimmwood ..... What if you suddenly died aged 43, and woke up as an 18 year old in college, destined to die again at the very same point in your life? This book takes you on an adventure where you really do see yourself in the characters shoes.

My next plan is to read the rest of the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks.

FYI: I recently read Stephen Kings Under the Dome. It is a fantastic take on small town life with a major twist. I watched the pilot episode of the tv show, and had to turn it off after 25 minutes it was so bad. It deviates from the book quite a lot, and in the wrong direction too! Be warned :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"Roadmarks" by Roger Zelazny. Not as immediate as "Lord of Light" but I'll stick with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Portable Door series, by Tom Holt. As usual for the author, a very laid back fantasy series which the under-achieving hero stumbles on the myths which prove real. Fairly good comedy read and a different vibe of humour to Kate Griffins Midnight Mayor spin-off series which I finished before that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed that series, wouldn't say it was brilliant but it was fun, some good humour in it and a lot of nice plot twists. From the 1st book did you get the feeling that it was made with a TV show in mind?
    Enjoyable Boys-own fantasy. There is a precursor series due out in the next few weeks, AFAIR.

Reading "The Scarab Path" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the fifth book in his "Shadows of the Apt" series.
    It's the first book in a sub-series, following on from the first four books which formed their own series. I'm 15% in and, as with the other books, I'm enjoying it. Interesting world and characters. Still aiming to be caught up by the time of the final book's (#10!) release next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "The Scarab Path" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the fifth book in his "Shadows of the Apt" series.
    It's the first book in a sub-series, following on from the first four books which formed their own series. I'm 15% in and, as with the other books, I'm enjoying it. Interesting world and characters. Still aiming to be caught up by the time of the final book's (#10!) release next year.

Is that series worth getting into? I've had "Empire in Black and Gold" sitting on a shelf for quite awhile but I'm a little reluctant to start into a long unfinished series until the last book is out.

• Advertisement

shaneor wrote: »
    Is that series worth getting into? I've had "Empire in Black and Gold" sitting on a shelf for quite awhile but I'm a little reluctant to start into a long unfinished series until the last book is out.
    Personally I think so. I like the core concept of different species of human each with different traits/abilities based around insects - it works well. Also fond of it not being typical medieval but with automotive engines (sort of steampunk) but still elements of magic. It's refreshing.
    As to getting through a 10-book unfinished series, book 9 is published this year and book 10 next year. He's been consistent in outputting at least 1 each year unlike other authors we could mention.

Advertisement