Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I posted earlier about finishing Old Man's War which as good; I followed that up with finishing Ghost Brigade (book 2) which was better and really helped flesh out the special forces and the universe in general. I'm 50 pages from being done with the fourth one, Zoe's tale and it's bloody brilliant (esp. if you like sarcasm) (I read this one before the original third by mistake). Once again none of them have the depth of Dune but definitely all worth reading and I hope when I come back to The Last Colony (which is the same story told from a different perspective and the third book) it will be as good as Zoe's tale has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

ixoy wrote: »
    Personally I think so. I like the core concept of different species of human each with different traits/abilities based around insects - it works well. Also fond of it not being typical medieval but with automotive engines (sort of steampunk) but still elements of magic. It's refreshing.
    As to getting through a 10-book unfinished series, book 9 is published this year and book 10 next year. He's been consistent in outputting at least 1 each year unlike other authors we could mention.

The setting always sounded interesting to me and it's a nice change from the generic medieval fantasy setting of other series.

I might have to move it back up my list!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Personally I think so. I like the core concept of different species of human each with different traits/abilities based around insects - it works well. Also fond of it not being typical medieval but with automotive engines (sort of steampunk) but still elements of magic. It's refreshing.
    As to getting through a 10-book unfinished series, book 9 is published this year and book 10 next year. He's been consistent in outputting at least 1 each year unlike other authors we could mention.
    I'll hold you personally responsible now after having ordered the first six books (added to my ever growing pile of "things to be read one day") :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Nody wrote: »
    I'll hold you personally responsible now after having ordered the first six books

I've only ordered two, but ixoy, I'll be coming with the pitchforks right behind Nody ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Trojan wrote: »
    I've only ordered two, but ixoy, I'll be coming with the pitchforks right behind Nody ;)

:P Thirded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I remember starting the Tchaikovsky series and not being particularly grabbed by it.

Might go back to it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just finished the 1st book of the Prince of Nothing series based on some recommendations in this thread, and, I'm blown away. Brilliant read, took a while to get into the prose but really glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Just finished the 1st book of the Prince of Nothing series based on some recommendations in this thread, and, I'm blown away. Brilliant read, took a while to get into the prose but really glad I did.

Probably one of the most difficult books i've read of recent years but equally as fantastic read based on recommendations from here, being the first of the trilogy I think its probably the worst offender for OTT super metaphysical musings and such, i think he toned it down a tad in the second and third which made them just a little bit easier going.... still Kelhus what a prick! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just finished Dark Tower number 6, Song of Susannah, cracking stuff, roll on number 7'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

About half way through Nexus by Ramez Naam - soft cyberpunk(ish )with lots of semi-explored ideas that could be very interesting but the author doesn't really provide enough meat to them for my taste. Nevertheless the pace of it is quick enough to keep me engaged.

Recently finished The Lives of Tao which was not an enjoyable read. Sheer pig-headedness made me finish it - the wise thing would of been to dump it half way through.

Reading this thread I have added The Darkness That Comes Before and Empire in Black and Gold to my wish list - if either suck I shall vent internet rage at you all :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading this thread I have added The Darkness That Comes Before and Empire in Black and Gold to my wish list - if either suck I shall vent internet rage at you all :)
    Ronanc1 wrote: »
    :P Thirded
    Trojan wrote: »
    I'll hold you personally responsible now after having ordered the first six books (added to my ever growing pile of "things to be read one day") :P
    shaneor wrote: »
    I might have to move it back up my list!
    I am now emailing Tchaikovsky to get my reward for getting him so many sales - the marketing worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Liamalone wrote: »
    Just finished Dark Tower number 6, Song of Susannah, cracking stuff, roll on number 7'!

I've no.4 lined up next 'Wizard and Glass'. Have really enjoyed them all so far. Is a very good series.

Also just finished Wild Cards no.6 'Ace in the Hole'. So pissed that
    Chrysalis is dead. She was one of my favourites.
    Another great series though. The
    investigation into her murder is the next one,
    so that's something at least.

gufnork wrote: »
    Also just finished Wild Cards no.6 'Ace in the Hole'. So pissed that
    Chrysalis is dead. She was one of my favourites.
    Another great series though. The
    investigation into her murder is the next one,
    so that's something at least.
    Is that the same book series that was a one season TV series (flight group fighting in space called the Wild Cards with one invitro among them etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Is that the same book series that was a one season TV series (flight group fighting in space called the Wild Cards with one invitro among them etc.)?

I don't know about the TV Series, but it's a Superhero Anthology with different Authors edited by George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones Fame).

I have all the Originals by Bantam, but not the other ones. And I haven't gotten into it yet, so can't comment on its Quality.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cards#Movies

Hope that helps.

Don't know about that at all I'm afraid. I only started reading them when I was looking for some superhero fiction to read. It hasn't even occurred to me that there might even be a tv series. Did I read somewhere recently that there's a movie of the first book in the offing? Can't remember where I saw it now, but I'm sure I'm not making it up. I'd love to see that come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think you are thinking of Space: Above & Beyond. Good show, but not related to George RR Martin's books.

Finished The Bonehunters, which was enjoyable as usual.
    The read Patient Zero by Jonathan Mayberry. It was enjoyable, but could do with better editing and was a bit too unbelievable at times.

Now starting Chindi by Jack McDevitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just finished "The Stone Canal" by Ken McLeod, very enjoyable, lots of interesting tongue in cheek takes on the Monty Pythonesque nature of small political groups who find themselves with a bit of power and throw it all away by arguing about what they should do while becoming irrelevant.
    Robots, clones, brave new worlds and a really nice turn of phrase.

I have just started "Broken Homes" by Ben Arronovich and it is really hitting the spot, I think that it is a stay up too late to read just one more chapter book, which while good for my head is probably not so good for my state of grumpiness in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished the Rithmatist, Sanderson continues in his search for different magic systems. I kinda liked it, it's to be continued, how many things has that guy got going at the moment, mistborn, way of kings, rithmatist, he's starting off another trilogy "Reckoners" soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Finished the Rithmatist, Sanderson continues in his search for different magic systems. I kinda liked it, it's to be continued, how many things has that guy got going at the moment, mistborn, way of kings, rithmatist, he's starting off another trilogy "Reckoners" soon.

I liked it! It was different to his normal but still enjoyable and while I'm glad it'll be a trillogy I have others I'd rather he got on with mainly the next lot of mist born and the elantris...oh and I'd love if he did more on the emperors soul.

He has made a blog post that shows his plans for writing in the future. Got to love an author that is amazing and seems to like putting out lots of books and can still keep them at such a high level. Lots to look forward too!

• Advertisement

I may have dipped into kids books last night and read the first 2 book's in Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz series. They're good, childish and funny, reminded be of Eoin Colfer's books.

So if any of ye have know any young kids that are interested in fantasy or even ye yourself feel like reading something short and funny I definitely recommend them! I am still a gigantic kid at heat!!!

bradyle wrote: »
    He has made a blog post that shows his plans for writing in the future
    The man's a machine! Impressed with how many works he outputs. Let's compare to "he's not your bitch" GRRM:

Since 2005 GRRM has published 2 long novels, 1 short novel and a novella.

Since 2005, Sanderson has published 9 long novels (600+ pages), 5 regular sized YA novels, and 5 novellas.

Machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Words of Radiance had been delayed though. Only a few months but I was really looking forward to it after reading Way of Kings last year.

I really need to rered WoK before Words of Radiance comes out. It's been too long!!

Has anyone here read Maze Runners by James Dashner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Just finished it a few days ago and I wouldn't call it teenage fiction. I thought it was very well written myself, a good character driven piece. It's got a good premise and was well thought out.

Thoroughly enjoyed Wool, a proper page-turner I thought. Started on the Quantum Thief, enjoyable thus far but the characters seem a bit one dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan needed some gritty cyberpunk and it delivers, looking forward to reading more of it.

Morag wrote: »
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan needed some gritty cyberpunk and it delivers, looking forward to reading more of it.
    Good book but the series grows weaker (imo) as it moves on; also look at his other stand alone books which are very nice as well (he's one of my favorite authors).

A quick read of "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin A. Abott which I got under Project Guttenberg for free. Enjoy the concept of a 2-D character trying to relate to a 3-D - it's very imaginative (and also inspired a recent Futurama episode). Won't take me long to get through this.

Am just finishing The Lion Men of Mongo by Alex Raymond, a Flash Gordon novel based on a cartoon strip in a newspaper way back in the '30s. Even though Alex Raymond is credited on the cover, he was in fact the artist of the cartoon strips it was based on, the author was in fact a Con Steffanson. It's amusing and entertaining and holds up quite well after all this time, which I think has a lot to do with Flash Gordon stories having a very pulp feel anyway no matter which decade they were written in. There's even a very cute little copper robot in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finished Brayan's Gold and would like more of that from Peter V Brett but it looks like he has lost the touch all ready with the series.
    Going to read some non-fantasy next with Skippy Dies by Paul Murray, just to recharge the batteries. Been a bit burnt out on the auld scifi/fan genres lately, with the likes of Anthony Ryan being all hype and really just be more generic fantasy.
    Gearing up for a few good release then with Steelheart, Emporer of Thorns and those damnably Bast**ds on the way as well.

Advertisement