Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Have started on book #7 of the Gor Chronicles, Captive of Gor by John Norman.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Also reading "Diaspora" by Greg Egan. 4% in and it's already showing more inventiveness with post-Singularity human consciousness than nearly any other piece of work out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Excellent and surprisingly moving closer. I still think The Final Empire was the best of the three but Hero Of Ages was a great capper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

RoboAmish wrote: »
    Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Excellent and surprisingly moving closer. I still think The Final Empire was the best of the three but Hero Of Ages was a great capper.

Give the alloy of law a go. Allomancy mixed with Feruchemy and guns. Very good evolution of the magic.

Finally got back to Daniel Abrahams "Dagger and Coin" series. I don't what it is about his books, but i really like them. It was the same with the long price, i couldn't say why but i just could not put the books down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    I'll hold you personally responsible now after having ordered the first six books (added to my ever growing pile of "things to be read one day") :P
    Started reading the first book; about 50 pages in so far and pitch fork is still lying next to bed just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nearing the end of 'Deadhouse Gates' finding it hard enough going really. Does this series improve or is the rest of it more of the same sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Nearing the end of 'Deadhouse Gates' finding it hard enough going really. Does this series improve or is the rest of it more of the same sort of thing?

I mostly enjoyed Deadhouse Gates, particularly the Chain of Dogs sections, but I gave up about 15% into book 3, this series is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished "The Gunslinger" recently. It took me awhile to get into it but not bad at the end. It felt like it was just setting up the rest of the series rather than a standalone read though.

About 15% through "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron at the moment and enjoying it so far. Its an interesting world but there seems like a lot of independent characters. Hopefully it doesn't wander in too many directions at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Chindi, Very enjoyable, I'm really getting into this series.
    Started The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, interesting, but a bit too much of her trying to sledgehammer her views into your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Chindi, Very enjoyable, I'm really getting into this series.
    Started The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, interesting, but a bit too much of her trying to sledgehammer her views into your head.

I'd recommend 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood also, a strange and interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw: An undead wizard in a Multiplayer Warcraft game on a quest so find eternal rest - quite humourous.

Reading "Rivers of London" by Ben Aarvonitch. Haven't read much of his stuff since his earlier Doctor Who work and I'm enjoying this - light, fast, and witty so far (8% in) and yeah, already a Doctor Who reference.

Also on the short story collection "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse". This time there's a theme (post-apocalypse). Read two so far and they're reasonable. Will need a few more to gauge the collection's quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

About 65% through "Empire in Black and Gold", pretty good going so far - it's not blowing me away but it's worth a solid 7/10 and looks like a good intro into the series.

I'd recommend 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood also, a strange and interesting read.

I've read that one alright and its alot better than The Handmaid's Tale, so far at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

shaneor wrote: »
    Finished "The Gunslinger" recently. It took me awhile to get into it but not bad at the end. It felt like it was just setting up the rest of the series rather than a standalone read though.

About 15% through "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron at the moment and enjoying it so far. Its an interesting world but there seems like a lot of independent characters. Hopefully it doesn't wander in too many directions at once.

Got about halfway through but the constant switching of point of views has regulated to the pile that's even worse than the 'to read' pile, which is 'read some and got annoyed and maybe it might get another chance someday' pile.
    Pity as some of it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Just read AJ smiths 'the black guard'. I liked it. POV chapters but still in third person (I hate first person fantasy books). Nice background world. the only qualm I have is that all the main characters are:
    adept and skilled warriors etc...

Starting into a prince of thorns again. I started it before but like I said above, first person narrative is not for me. I'm struggling to understand the protagonists line of thinking but hopefully it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Forward the Foundation at the moment. My second foray into the series after really enjoying Prelude. Apparently Forward is the last book in the series Asimov wrote but after googling around for recommended reading orders the in-world chronological order was what I went with.

Not too far in yet but seems as good as the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Well I'm royally p***ed off...

Started The Hunger Games - Catching Fire the other day, really getting into it.

I've lost the book!! Cant find it anywhere in the house/car/office! Going spare.

So I've started the Starwars/Zombie mashup that is DEATH TROOPERS!!

Cheesy nerd fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Just finished the Quantum Thief m very enjoyable although a bit confusing at times. Starting into Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury which has been on my "to read" list for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

growler wrote: »
    Starting into Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury which has been on my "to read" list for years now.

That's been on my 'to read' list as well - can you let us know what you think of it?

Currently reading Blue Remembered Earth by Alistair Reynolds. I thoroughly enjoyed most of his previous books but this one seems a bit mundane and definitely sloooooooowwwwww.

I'm at 50% and am struggling to stick with it, the charachters are dull as **** although he doesn't generally do charismatic ones anyway but usually has a decent menagerie of grotesque ones. The science seems a bit scattergun, the story a bit like a travelogue/mystery who-dun-it and the pace is glacial. And this from one of my favorite authors :( I might cry.....

• Advertisement

Reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Very good so far - nice to see an intelligent approach to being stranded on Mars. Lucky I bought it a while back too because owing to its success it's now been withdrawn from sale until 2014 when - like Anthony Ryan's book - it will return at a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Very good so far - nice to see an intelligent approach to being stranded on Mars. Lucky I bought it a while back too because owing to its success it's now been withdrawn from sale until 2014 when - like Anthony Ryan's book - it will return at a higher price.

I read that awhile back and loved it. Intelligent and realistic but funny as well. It's great to see a new author do well off the back of self publishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's getting a book release next year as well.

Finished The Handmaid's Tale, I wouldn't recommend it. 1/3 through The Escapement by K.J. Parker, the last book in the Engineer Triology. It's not as strong as the first two, but I'm still looking forward to see how he finishes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Started on Ubik by Phillip K Dick, The Plague of Sound by Alex Raymond and The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com which is a huge free book containing 150 short stories from the first 5 years of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Finally finished the first law trilogy last night. Overall i thought it was great. My interested nearly waned a bit into last argument but im glad i stuck it out. I've a list of random books up next that includes wool, the yard (alex grecian) & blindsighted by karin slaughter. Not sure where to start. I took a break from malazan awhile ago with just the crippled god to go, might get back to that & finish it out. Id love to re-read from the start but i'm not sure im prepared to dedicate the next 2 years of my life to it....again.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Currently working my way through Feist. Read Magician, Silverthorn and am now on Darkness at Sethanon.

He does drag it out a bit though doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nicowa wrote: »
    Currently working my way through Feist. Read Magician, Silverthorn and am now on Darkness at Sethanon.

He does drag it out a bit though doesn't he?
    Ah. You're working your way through Feist's 'dragging it out' phase? You're gonna love the 'milking it' books. To say nothing of the 'autopilot' years...

Stop after those three! Classics. All downhill from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Feist is Dragging?

Boy, I can't wait to hear your opinion once you've read something from Peter V Brett, KJ Parker or R. Scott Bakker. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Heh dragging it out.

Stop reading after the serpent war saga, that was his best stuff, it was in autopilot like endacl said.

Advertisement