Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

bradyle wrote: »
    Kinda went through a meh phase then about starting a new book until i happened to remember I had Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy on my kindle...started it last night and I must say I felt pulled in straightaway...not to far into it obviously but so far so good!
    They are bloody brilliant inc. the stand alones later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

bradyle wrote: »
    Finished Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone...It was really good...I loved the concept of the world it was set in!

Kinda went through a meh phase then about starting a new book until i happened to remember I had Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy on my kindle...started it last night and I must say I felt pulled in straightaway...not to far into it obviously but so far so good!

That's a fantastic trilogy, Glokta is one of the best characters ever, and Logen too.. Sod it I'm going to read them again too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Nody wrote: »
    Don't worry, he's simply wrong and most of us think it's a great book :)
    I stopped reading after the explosion, dont like SF mixed up with my fantasy, but went back and finished it today.

Its a good book, imo, enough to get King of Thorns anyway. I'm not sure i like the prince as a character yet but its getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5live wrote: »
    I stopped reading after the explosion, dont like SF mixed up with my fantasy, but went back and finished it today.

Its a good book, imo, enough to get King of Thorns anyway. I'm not sure i like the prince as a character yet but its getting there.

I found it a difficult book to get into and dropped it after a little while. Kept reading about the positive reviews and decided to attempt it again.
    Finished the book and enjoyed it enough to get the follow up.
    Second book was far better. Jorg wasn't as assholey, which was the turn off for me in the first. He was still an absolute bastard but he mellowed a bit.
    The 2 simultaneous timelines were handled well.
    If the 3 continues the upward trend, I reckon it will be an great book rounding off one of the best trilogies of the century.
    It's also selling like hotcakes with over 200000 sale.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I found it a difficult book to get into and dropped it after a little while. Kept reading about the positive reviews and decided to attempt it again.
    Finished the book and enjoyed it enough to get the follow up.
    Second book was far better. Jorg wasn't as assholey, which was the turn off for me in the first. He was still an absolute bastard but he mellowed a bit.
    The 2 simultaneous timelines were handled well.
    If the 3 continues the upward trend, I reckon it will be an great book rounding off one of the best trilogies of the century.
    I love this quote from 'King'

'The way I'd put it' said Makin, 'is that Rike can't make an omelette without wading thigh deep in the blood of chickens and wearing their entrails as a necklace'.

:D

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    I love this quote from 'King'

'The way I'd put it' said Makin, 'is that Rike can't make an omelette without wading thigh deep in the blood of chickens and wearing their entrails as a necklace'.

:D

There's some great passages of writing in it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Finished my last book, so had to dig through the stuff I've had for years and never read, came up with Hellboy - Odd Jobs. A collection of short stories by people such as Christopher Golden, Poppy Z. Brite, Nancy Holder, Max Allan Collins among others, and of course Mike Mignola.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Dwarves, don't think I'll bother with the sequels, though its not terrible.
    Was on holidays, so also read Hull Three Zero by Greg Bear, it was ok, but missing something. It was too short I think, didn't delve deeply enough into the background or the ship.
    Now reading Return of the Crimson Guard by ICE. Again, its not quite as good as Erikson's work, but its still very enjoyable.

Cold days by Jim Butcher, can't never argue with a Dresden novel.
    Now next is Shift by Hugh Howey a prequel sequel to Wool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Iain Banks "Transition". Something to do with parallel realities. Not as involving as I hoped but I'll stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Literally spent all weekend on Joe Abercrombie’s First Law Trilogy…They really are amazing books! Soon as I’m no longer in saving mode the stand alone stories and shorts will be my first purchase…make that second after Brandon Sanderson’s new book about to come out!!

Going to attempt to once again try and final finish wheel of time books next. I’ve finished up to book 10 not so long ago so hopefully will get through them now this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Started The Blade Itself. It's ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Finished it about 2 weeks ago, not overly impressed. It just got predictable and it just generally got waay out there too much by the end.

Got and read the first few books in the mageborn series by Michael G Manning. Don't what to make of it. It's alright but the writing can be a bit simple at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished The Black Company by Glen Cook and it was a decent read. Interesting characters and world even if both only scrape the surface of the detail. I'll more than likely pick up the sequels at some stage to see how much more of the world and backstory it shows
    shaneor wrote: »
    I agree it probably doesn't need a reread but its a good excuse to reread two of my favorite books in the last few years instead of getting through my to-read pile! :D

I gave in to temptation and started a reread of Lie of Locke Lamora. It definitely holds up to a reread and is just making me even more impatient for The Republic of Thieves!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

shaneor wrote: »
    Finished The Black Company by Glen Cook and it was a decent read. Interesting characters and world even if both only scrape the surface of the detail. I'll more than likely pick up the sequels at some stage to see how much more of the world and backstory it shows

I'm near the end of the 3rd Omnibus. It's only starting to hint at the origins of the Black Company. Hoping it's revealed later this book or in the 4th and final Omnibus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading a short story collection - "Long Eyes" by Jeff Carlson. Honestly haven't been impressed so far. Not sure I like his writing style. I'll continue on to see if there's any I like. It was a free Kindle download so no real loss if I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Emperor of Thorns
    About 70% through....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

Just finished Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. Great story, that grips you from start to finish. All in all this is a fantastic book, and quite tough to put down.

I also just finished 1984. It was incredibly easy to read, Orwell's writing style is amazing. It is easy to see why this is a classic.

I have been working my way through Hyperion, it is very gripping, and now I have more time to get stuck into it. I'd give it 7.5/10, at 15% of the way through.

I am starting Doomsday Book by Connie Willis tonight - can't wait :-)

Reading "Petroplague" by Amy Rogers. Another cheap e-Book that I bought a while back, it's a techno-thriller set in LA about a bacteria that breaks down oil and the consequences. I'm 21% in and it's pretty decent if nothing spectacular in any area. Only cost me $2.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I have just finished Knife of Dreams the last book that Robert Jordan finished in WoT must say I really enjoyed it. It completely pulled me in and when it was finished I could not wait to get started on the next one. A very big change from when I finished Crossroads!! So far really enjoying The Gathering Storm I'm a big Brandon Sanderson fan but I am glad he sticks to the characters and hasn't seemed to make any big changes to them so far altho I'm happy to see that there's been less tugging of braids :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Reading 'Ace of Skulls' the fourth, and apparently last, in the Chris Wooding 'Ketty Jay' series. Still ripping off Firefly like nobody's business but good fun read all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Just started Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale last night. It's very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Have just finished Ecko Rising by Danie Ware, good take on are we players or are we being played. Looking forward to next book.
    Have also finally put down Greg Egans the clockwork rocket.
    The science was a hard slog, my eyes frequently glazed over and an awful lack of humour throughout. It took me a long while to warm to it, but I did and I would read the next instalment.
    On my bedside locker I have an anthology called songs of the dying earth and is based on jack vance's the dying earth. Good to dip into.
    I have just started abaddon's gate, grand rollicking read! Luuuv space operas.
    When that is finished I have a book by Paul mcauley, who I haven't read before called evenings empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Have just finished Ecko Rising by Danie Ware, good take on are we players or are we being played. Looking forward to next book.
    Have also finally put down Greg Egans the clockwork rocket.
    The science was a hard slog, my eyes frequently glazed over and an awful lack of humour throughout. It took me a long while to warm to it, but I did and I would read the next instalment.
    On my bedside locker I have an anthology called songs of the dying earth and is based on jack vance's the dying earth. Good to dip into.
    I have just started abaddon's gate, grand rollicking read! Luuuv space operas.
    When that is finished I have a book by Paul mcauley, who I haven't read before called evenings empire.

Stephen R. Donaldson, the Author of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Novels, also did a collection of short stories inspired by Vance's Dying Earth, it's called Reave the Just and Other Tales.

You might want to check that out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thanks, will have a look.
    This anthology was good because each author brought their own style and interpretation to it; ie silverberg, Kane baker, Eisenstein, Shepard , Simmons, Gaiman and others.

Reading "World War Z". 26% in and it's far smarter than the movie which bears a jokingly little resemblance to it. Interesting format that's working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

On to Towers of Midnight in my marathon re-read of WoT to finally finishing it!

Getting excited now.

Just finished 'King of Thorns', thought it was an improvement on 'Prince of Thorns'. Jorg is developing nicely as a charachter and the flashbacks are well handled in showing how his experiences have shaped him. Looking forward to 'Emperor' when it comes down in price a bit.

I tried reading 'The Long Earth' by Pratchett/Baxter but i think i will leave it a while. 'Wolves in Ireland' and 'Savage Continent' are calling me so fantasy on the back burner for a while, i think.

Just finished the first part of Shift by Hugh Howey and have hit a wall when the focus shifted to a new character. Disappointed when i was really getting into the other story and felt the pain of the main character.
    Read a few pages of the new part and im just not feeling it.

Think i might have a shot at Levithan Wakes next, either that or Steelheart by brandon Sanderson, if i can find time with all this reading about how ireland was a colony of England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Zurn

I reached page 196 from Game of Thrones after 2? months?
    I only read in the lunch break at work this story.

Advertisement