Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

^ Book 1 felt like that for me too. It starts to move a bit more in book 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "World War Z". 26% in and it's far smarter than the movie which bears a jokingly little resemblance to it. Interesting format that's working well.

I actually enjoyed the movie even though as you say if they had named it something else you wouldn't even make a connection to the book from it besides zombies.

The book is terrific in fairness, but the audiobook version is where it's at IMO - has the likes of Alan Alda, John Turturro, Mark Hamill and loads of others and is absolutely top notch. Probably the best audiobook ever made.
    Trojan wrote: »
    ^ Book 1 felt like that for me too. It starts to move a bit more in book 2.

I read through book one and thought it was pretty awful, I presume everyone would advise me carrying on with it?

I'm reading that "The Blade Itself" book at the moment and it's decent. A lot of the characters are pretty cool but it doesn't really seem like it's going anywhere fast either. Am I right in thinking it's pretty well thought of?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Just finished the WoT series and then the New Spring novel too.

Really sad to see it end there were low points in the series yea but overall I really enjoyed it. It was a good story and yes there was stages where the characters annoyed me but by the end of it I didnt want to see them go!

Although
    Thought it was a bit harsh what Rand did at the end not telling people he surrvived...like I get he couldnt tell everyone but his Dad, Mat, Perrin and Nyvanne should have been told!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Finished Wool. Fairly enjoyable simple enough read. Found myself maybe not really caring as much near the end & racing to finish it though.

Anyways now for something completely different, going to attempt The Darkness That Comes Before again after i put it down years ago after barely starting it. Much the same way as when i started The Blade Itself i'm going to force myself to stick with it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just finished a re-read of the Darkness that comes before, it made more sense the second time around as it was easier to keep track of who was who.

Also finished Orson Scott Card - Earth Unaware and am nearly finished Earth Afire, they are a prequel to the Enders Game series and are set around the time of Mazer Rackham and the Free Miners before and at the start of the war. A light and easy read with very little of the moralising of the later books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Just finished the Reality Dysfunction by Peter Hamilton. Really struggled with it early on but glad I stuck with it as it really picked in the second half as the pieces started to come together. I like his writing style even though it can overly descriptive in places using terms that are unfamiliar... it just means that the reader cant visualise what he is talking about as there is no context unless you are a super geek or quantum physicist.

I promised myself I would read something else prior to jumping into book 2 but now I'm not so sure.. I want to know what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Reading "World War Z". 26% in and it's far smarter than the movie which bears a jokingly little resemblance to it. Interesting format that's working well.
    Such a good book and such an awful movie. I really, really hope someone in HBO realises the potential it has to be a incredible 10 part series like Band of Brothers and buys the story rights (I presume the name is tied up with Brad Pitt's production company but since they didn't use the actual story-line and the movie can't have possibly made it's money back, perhaps they'd be open to selling on the story if it was made under a different name/brand).

On the first few pages of Winters Heart. Definitely finding the series harder going now. Have had to read the chapter summaries of previous books a couple of times now to remind me what's going on, who's Black Ajah etc.

Sleepy wrote: »
    On the first few pages of Winters Heart. Definitely finding the series harder going now. Have had to read the chapter summaries of previous books a couple of times now to remind me what's going on, who's Black Ajah etc.

Ah, the Prologue of Death. No spoiler, it's just ****ing massive - you're nearly halfway through the book by the time it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Trojan wrote: »
    Ah, the Prologue of Death. No spoiler, it's just ****ing massive - you're nearly halfway through the book by the time it ends.

The shock when I seen chapter 1...I assumed I was on like chapter 10 or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Just finished reading "Dust", the final book in the Wool Trilogy. Enjoyed it and a decent end to the trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Just started 'Hunters of Gor', the 8th in John Norman's Gorean chronicles. Also about to start 'A Princess of Mars', which after reading so many Gor novels I feel I should at least read this one too. Saw the movie and liked it. Was very good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just started a bunch of new books:

Primary book is "God's War" by Kameron Hurley, the first book in her Bel Dame Apocrypha series. It was a book (and its sequel) that I picked up for free a while back. 16% in and I'm quite impressed - it's a sort of sci-fi fantasy/fusion set on a desert world with a sort of Arabian/Islamic background. There's organic tech and the lead is an assassin in a strongly-female based society. Quite refreshing so far. Seems like, since I got these, she's done better for herself and got published in paper (and book 2 isn't out here yet!).

Also, as an accompanier, I'm reading a book of short stories I got in a Humble Bundle package: "Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die". It's sort of a Final Destination thing where people know the manner of their death but not the specifics. Read two stories and I'm a little disappointed: Rather than finding out how they die, it's just been about their reactions to finding out. Hopefully this will change.

Finally for an occasional dip in, I'm reading "The Shadow of the Torturer" by Gene Wolf, the first book in his New Sun cycle. It's apparently a classic so we'll see if it lives up to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finally for an occasional dip in, I'm reading "The Shadow of the Torturer" by Gene Wolf, the first book in his New Sun cycle. It's apparently a classic so we'll see if it lives up to that.
    One of the few books I simply gave up on; I simply could not care about the story or characters even thought the world is very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Nody wrote: »
    One of the few books I simply gave up on; I simply could not care about the story or characters even thought the world is very interesting.

I quite enjoyed that series. I can't remember any of the plot details now, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Finally getting around to reading MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood and the very odd but interesting collection of short stories which are stiched to gether http://www.gwdbooks.com/red-phone-box.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Struggling through "The Stars My Destination".

It's just a blatant rip off of The Count of Monte Cristo, but with space travel. Some people say "inspired", I say rip off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I noticed a fellow boards.ie on Goodreads gave it 2* so between the two of you and a half-hearted recommendation below... Might switch to Hugh Howey's Shift for an upcoming holiday to keep myself entertained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I noticed a fellow boards.ie on Goodreads gave it 2* so between the two of you and a half-hearted recommendation below... Might switch to Hugh Howey's Shift for an upcoming holiday to keep myself entertained.
    I know people who'd have his babies over the series basically; it's really appears to be a hate it/love it type of series :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Waiting 3 years to say this but just started Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

(posted this in the wrong thread yesterday)

Ended up finishing that The Blade Itself one and moving straight onto the second one "Before They Are Hanged" straight away.

Nothing really happened in the first one but the characters and dialogue are great, which is what I usually enjoy most in books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

keane2097 wrote: »
    Nothing really happened in the first one but the characters and dialogue are great, which is what I usually enjoy most in books.

Not sure I'd agree that 'nothing happened in the first one', but if you like the characters and dialogue they get better as it goes on, and I suppose you could take the first one as setup for events in 2 and especially 3.

I noticed a fellow boards.ie on Goodreads gave it 2* so between the two of you and a half-hearted recommendation below...

That might be me you're referring to :)

I picked it up hoping it would be "epic fantasy", but the author's focus seems to be more on the descriptive language and less on the plot development and internal consistency.

I did read the whole first book - which is a couple of 'books' I think - but only because I desperately wanted something to happen. I was also a more tolerant reader a few years back :)

Have you read "Titus Groan"? I'd be interested to know if you found any comparison between the two. Let us know how you get on with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Return of The Crimson Guard last week, its well worth the read if you enjoy the other Malazan books, nice to see a few characters in action, who'd previously just been talked about or talked themselves.
    1/3 through Caliban's War, by James S. A. Corey. The opening was a bit week, but its getting better as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Finished Abbadon's Gate, enjoyed very minute of it. The last page does not have "to be continued" on it but it might as well have. Roll on.
    I liked Paul McCauley's Evening's Empire although it lacks a bit of consistancybut I would read more of his.
    I've also finished Heaven' s Shadow, not a bad premise for a story, even though not original. Near Earth object closing in, turns out to be a starship from alien race. The only thing is I can see it as a 'tele-series' as I read along, specially when the book cover says"from the writers of batman and the twilight zone "

I have and am saving the fourth book by simon morden. So cool,love this series, covers are great too. Anyone else like him too?

Finally, I am persevering with my first book by Terry Goodkind called The third Kindom , " a Richard and kahlan novel". Dear God, It's like being trapped in wallpaper paste. Nothing happens! This Richard has spent the last 150 pages talking to a whiney twit called Samantha . Every sentence she utters finishes with a question mark which leads to another twenty pages of verbosity from Richard. It remind me of those essays I did as a kid in school - trying to stretch my two pages to three even after writing big.
    Not sure if I can stick it out to the end -don't really care wtf happens to the characters after all. Please someone, are all his books like this?
    Thanks be to god I have ken bruen's latest (I know. Different genre) lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Finished Abbadon's Gate, enjoyed very minute of it. The last page does not have "to be continued" on it but it might as well have. Roll on.
    I liked Paul McCauley's Evening's Empire although it lacks a bit of consistancybut I would read more of his.
    I've also finished Heaven' s Shadow, not a bad premise for a story, even though not original. Near Earth object closing in, turns out to be a starship from alien race. The only thing is I can see it as a 'tele-series' as I read along, specially when the book cover says"from the writers of batman and the twilight zone "

I have and am saving the fourth book by simon morden. So cool,love this series, covers are great too. Anyone else like him too?

Finally, I am persevering with my first book by Terry Goodkind called The third Kindom , " a Richard and kahlan novel". Dear God, It's like being trapped in wallpaper paste. Nothing happens! This Richard has spent the last 150 pages talking to a whiney twit called Samantha . Every sentence she utters finishes with a question mark which leads to another twenty pages of verbosity from Richard. It remind me of those essays I did as a kid in school - trying to stretch my two pages to three even after writing big.
    Not sure if I can stick it out to the end -don't really care wtf happens to the characters after all. Please someone, are all his books like this?
    Thanks be to god I have ken bruen's latest (I know. Different genre) lined up.

Why Goodkind? Why? There's so many things out more worthy of your reading, like a shampoo bottle for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Kewreeuss wrote: »

It was probably might least favorite of the trilogy but still a great read. I'm fairly sure they've confirmed there's another trilogy in the works to follow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

I finished by reread of "Lies of Locke Lamora" and "Red Seas Under Red Skies" just in time for "Republic of Thieves" to come out. They both held up well to a reread. Red Seas is undoubtedly the weaker of the two but still great fun and I just love Lynchs writing. Some absolulely fabulous one liners especially in Lies.
    “Nice bird, asshole!”
    “I cut off his fingers to get him to talk, and when he'd confessed everything I wanted to hear, I had his ****ing tongue cut out, and the stump cauterized."

Everyone in the room stared at him.

"I called him an asshole, too," said Locke. "He didn't like that.”

Getting stuck into Republic of Thieves and so far so good. It has all that I love about Lynch but I'm a little concerned there's going to be too much jumping back & forth with the flashbacks. I'm fairly sure its going to be great fun either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Nope. Couldn't hack it!
    Skimmed the last third of Goodkind's book just to see what happened.
    I won't be reading anything of his again. Sorry. I have no interest in any of his dopey characters.
    I imagine if he runs out of ideas for his plots he could take up writing training manuals, the ones that go on for ever and say the same thing in ten different ways before moving on to another point and you still are no wiser at the end!

Goodkind took badly for the 9/11 but it sounds as you started in the middle or something but yea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Had a quick read of the Spooks Apprentice as there is a movie based on it coming out soon and I wanted something quick and light before diving into part two of Hamiltons Nights Dawn Triology. Was more of a teen novel but was fun/interesting none the less. Was thinking of reading Enders Game now also since there is a movie on the way and it seems quite highly rated.

Advertisement