Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I actually thought Goodkind's Sword of Truth series was ok, not amazing, but I've read far worse. A lot of concepts & ideas that are suspiciously similar to Robert Jordan's, but the politics or lectures didn't bother me as much as it did some.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

As for what I'm reading - I'm wondering whether to launch into The Republic of Thieves, or to re-read the first two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Trojan wrote: »
    I actually thought Goodkind's Sword of Truth series was ok, not amazing, but I've read far worse. A lot of concepts & ideas that are suspiciously similar to Robert Jordan's, but the politics or lectures didn't bother me as much as it did some.
    I agree; I found it interesting (and very graphical at times which is what I liked I guess) but the 9/11 really turned his politics from "annoying" to "I'm a firebrand preacher and I'll show the world how the American way is the only way and I'll burn some holy books doing so" level. It did not help the story went from somewhat reasonble to meglamaniac level of deux ex solutions and enmies (oh hai I'm a monster that can't be killed in any form any how and I'm about to eat you and I can chase you anywhere in the world).

The last three books to finish the main arc was painfull to read compared to the beginning.
    Trojan wrote: »
    As for what I'm reading - I'm wondering whether to launch into The Republic of Thieves, or to re-read the first two.
    Re-read; it makes it soo much more enjoyable and you can pick up all those small tweaks and comments you forgot about and love (at least that's my plan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Finished Republic of Thieves, it was good but probably the least good of the 3 so far - there are three stories intertwined and one of them
    putting on the play and killing Boulidazi, plus Locke getting together with Sabetha for the first time
    just isn't that interesting.

The other sections were far superior and it does have
    a really good ending
    which is making me look forward to the 4th anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Finished The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan plain straightforward tongue in cheek gory 'romp', as the blurbs would call it.
    Going back to Terry Goodkind, what struck me was that there was no humour, irony, sarcasm anywhere in the book I read, it was decidedly head up nether end! From the posts I gather 9/11 pushed him off balance and it has affected his writing. I might go and find one of his early works and give it a twirl.
    Do you think Goodkind is his real name or a fantasy name?
    I have run out of sf to read, waiting to get Ben aaronvitches latest, the others were so clever!
    Must try this republic of thieves you all seem to be reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dunno Goodkind was always a hack. Before 9/11 he just ripped off Robert Jordan.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Must try this republic of thieves you all seem to be reading

Read the first two in the series 'Lies of Locke Lamora' and 'Red Seas under Red Skies', if you haven't already - before you read this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I dunno Goodkind was always a hack. Before 9/11 he just ripped off Robert Jordan.

His first 2 Books were actually Good.

I get the feeling that the Sword of Truth Novels were initially planned as a Short Series (Possibly as a 5 Book Set or less), but got Stretch to 11 to Milk the Fanbase.

He just ran out of Ideas.

That's why most of the later Books, reads like Bad Anime Fillers but without the Humor.

His first 2 Books were actually Good.

I get the feeling that the Sword of Truth Novels were initially planned as a Short Series (Possibly as a 5 Book Set or less), but got Stretch to 11 to Milk the Fanbase.

He just ran out of Ideas.

That's why most of the later Books, reads like Bad Anime Fillers but without the Humor.

sorry but he ripped Jordan off and i cant remember when it started but it was fairly blatant. first book was ok and thats it really.

sister of the light and dark sisters = aes sedai and black ajah
    male wizards being collared = male channellers

There was more but they all escape me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Finished Republic of Thieves, it was good but probably the least good of the 3 so far - there are three stories intertwined and one of them
    putting on the play and killing Boulidazi, plus Locke getting together with Sabetha for the first time
    just isn't that interesting.

The other sections were far superior and it does have
    a really good ending
    which is making me look forward to the 4th anyway.

Oh dear, I thought for some reason that this was a trilogy. Not convinced it can stand being stretched out too much more than that...

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Oh dear, I thought for some reason that this was a trilogy. Not convinced it can stand being stretched out too much more than that...

Seven books intended in the series.

And a prequel.

Seven books intended in the series.

And a prequel.

Jaysus! That will get a bit thin I suspect. I stopped the second one about half way through and haven't gone back yet. I think I said it before here that I thought the dialogue and characters were great but the prose was desperate and the plot a little boring.
    In a way the books are a bit like conman movies where the whole thing is building up to a twist where the hero pulls something out of the bag. I'm not so sure this works that well in book form, the medium is a bit long winded for it.

I also remember feeling in the second one that Locke and Jean had too little control over what was happening to them. I know the idea is probably to make the reveal where they outsmart the bad guys that much more satisfying but when they're completely powerless for so long there's a bit of tension lost I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just finishing the new Dan Simmons called "The abominable". Slow burner but i have to say i'm really enjoying it. i really like his writing of historical fiction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "Makers" by Cory Doctorow. Got it free off his site as part of his ideas on copyright. It's.. okay. Based around the concept of developers burning through new technologies, it's kind of bugging me in some ways. It seems that the people of the world all think Doctorow's nerdy tech ideas are amazing rather than, as I believe they would, merely gimmicky and their successes seem very unrealistic. I'll push on for a few more days and then I'll be switching over to "The Republic of Thieves" and resume Makers at a later point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    sorry but he ripped Jordan off and i cant remember when it started but it was fairly blatant. first book was ok and thats it really.

sister of the light and dark sisters = aes sedai and black ajah
    male wizards being collared = male channellers

There was more but they all escape me at the moment.

The dark one trying to break out. The black ajah thing was so blatant.

Unfortunately i read goodkind first, thought he was decent at the start then i read other books. That 9/11 explains a lot because the last few books turned out into how freedom\capitalism was great. Really liked the 2nd book but after reading the first few WOT's, i couldn't believe how similar they were. what got me was the books reminded me of stargate, the book was spent looking for an ancient artifact\knoweldge and then in finding\using it he opened up another can of worms for a later book.

Finishing up the 2nd lamora book, have ordered TROT but think i'll do a reread of the 2 again, i read red skies in between several other books. Mainly the travellers gates books which are good not great and the paul kearney books after the ten thousand. 2nd was not as good as the 10,000 but the 3rd book was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

just finishing the new Dan Simmons called "The abominable". Slow burner but i have to say i'm really enjoying it. i really like his writing of historical fiction.

I was a long term fan of Simmons since reading Hyperion many years ago. Last year I read Flashback. To call it a right wing political diatribe would be doing UKIP a great disservice. I was staggered at the odd views expressed in it (Muslims rule the world because "Obama", global warming is a myth...because...), however ever greater than the political views was the banality and general crapness of the actual book. Vomit inducing turgid muck from an otherwise very gifted writer.

Just reading Joe Hill's, Heart Shaped Box, at times it's so funny how alike it is to his father. Decent enough book but not that creepy at all but his next two books are meant to be big improvements.
    Collecting Republic of Thieves later today!!!!! Oh no five exclamation marks, Terry Pratchett wouldn't be impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

I was a long term fan of Simmons since reading Hyperion many years ago. Last year I read Flashback. To call it a right wing political diatribe would be doing UKIP a great disservice. I was staggered at the odd views expressed in it (Muslims rule the world because "Obama", global warming is a myth...because...), however ever greater than the political views was the banality and general crapness of the actual book. Vomit inducing turgid muck from an otherwise very gifted writer.

Heard it was utter tripe, so never bothered reading it.

Hyperion is one of my all time favorites, and have to say i really enjoyed the terror (historical fiction with a twist), but this seems to be purely historical fiction based in the 20s in the himalaya and really enjoyable if a tad slow burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Caliban's War, I wasn't that impressed with the start, it reminded me of Kevin J Anderson's writing style for some reason, but it some got back to business, and was very good from about 15% on.
    Started Republic of Thieves (danger of not being able to sleep on a Saturday morning and having the amazon store on your kindle!), just finished the prologue but so far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished Republic of Thieves and really enjoyed it. I don't think it hit the heights of Lies but still a good entertaining read which filled in some interesting back story and setup the rest of the series well.

After moving on to "Hollow World" by Michael J. Sullivan. I backed his Kickstarter campaign for this awhile back but only getting around to reading it now. I backed it because I enjoyed his other books and I like seeing different approaches to publishing but I'm very much enjoying the book so far. Interesting mix of sci-fi & fantasy. I don't think its on full release until next year some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

About halfway through A Memory of Light.

Everyone's a Darkfriend it seems...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Working through the Old Mans War series by John Scalzi.
    I was looking for something that wasn't too formulaic and a bit of fun to lift me a little bit during a grim time (my wife's first anniversary), so I picked up The Old Man's War, I actually nearly put this book down within the first page or two as it starts off at the grave of the wife of the main character (yep I can pick em).
    Somehow the author manages to get it exactly right without the grimness knocking you down.
    There are some fantastic ideas in the series and it is a good and entertaining read, somewhere between Enders Game and Starship Troopers (books). so box ticked and working my way through the third book at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just finished the second book of "The Aspect-Emperor". Definitely not as strong as the Prince of Nothing trilogy, but saying that, the characters are so good, that you really want to find out what's happening to them.

Started "The Mist-born trilogy", after the first few pages, I'm not so sure if there aren't better books to read first, its not bad, it just hasn't really grabbed me in the same way R. Scott Baker's books have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Started "The Mist-born trilogy", after the first few pages, I'm not so sure if there aren't better books to read first, its not bad, it just hasn't really grabbed me in the same way R. Scott Baker's books have.
    My problem with the mist-born trilogy was after book 1 to be honest; I'm still only 2/3rds through the third book and not progessed in 1.5 years as I simply lost interest :(

I stopped after the first one. Good idea but poor execution.

Bugger! I was hoping someone would tell me to continue reading. OK then I'm not going to read this, I'm sick of ordinary fantasy, The Prince of Nothing has spoiled me it seems, I'll be keeping my eyes out for something of comparable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Bugger! I was hoping someone would tell me to continue reading. OK then I'm not going to read this, I'm sick of ordinary fantasy, The Prince of Nothing has spoiled me it seems, I'll be keeping my eyes out for something of comparable quality.

The follow up, the alloy of law was interesting, the evolution of the magic system from use with swords\bows etc to use in the future with guns etc was pretty cool. Magic system was cool but characters were nowhere near he prince of nothing series.

The follow up, the alloy of law was interesting, the evolution of the magic system from use with swords\bows etc to use in the future with guns etc was pretty cool. Magic system was cool but characters were nowhere near he prince of nothing series.

Yes exactly, you felt that anything could happen to the characters in the PoN series, whereas I get the feeling that everything will work out fine for the characters in Mist-born, bar the odd obstacle to overcome stuff.

I personally prefer my characters to be at the whim of chance to an extent, some situations cannot be overcome, no matter how resourceful the main is!

Yes exactly, you felt that anything could happen to the characters in the PoN series, whereas I get the feeling that everything will work out fine for the characters in Mist-born, bar the odd obstacle to overcome stuff.

I personally prefer my characters to be at the whim of chance to an extent, some situations cannot be overcome, no matter how resourceful the main is!
    Do read on then; trust me it is going to meet your wishes in that aspect.

• Advertisement

Almost finished "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Abercrombie. Like the first one, it's not exactly the most action packed book I've ever read but I've enjoyed in thoroughly nevertheless.

Glotka and Jazal in particular have great depth as characters and really well put together arcs.

Advertisement