Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

keane2097 wrote: »
    Glotka and Jazal in particular have great depth as characters and really well put together arcs.

Glotka is just such a brilliant character. Definitely the highlight of the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I was travelling last week so got a good chance to catch up on some books I wanted to read. Finished the new Locke Lamora book...like others I was sure this series was a trilogy so the ending was a bit unexpexted...but good!!

Read the new Sanderson book Steelheart. Really enjoyed this actually probably not as a amazing as some of his other books but still enjoyable read.

Read the first in the prequel series of Micheal J Sullivans Riviera books. Once again really like maybe not as great as the other series but I'm just happy to have the characters back :)

Now I'm starting into Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence...one of those books everyone seems to suggest but I've never got around to reading...so far its unusual...I want to read more so I can understand more but dunno if I'm actually enjoying it...if you know what I mean!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

bradyle wrote: »
    I was travelling last week so got a good chance to catch up on some books I wanted to read. Finished the new Locke Lamora book...like others I was sure this series was a trilogy so the ending was a bit unexpexted...but good!!

Read the new Sanderson book Steelheart. Really enjoyed this actually probably not as a amazing as some of his other books but still enjoyable read.

Read the first in the prequel series of Micheal J Sullivans Riviera books. Once again really like maybe not as great as the other series but I'm just happy to have the characters back :)

Now I'm starting into Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence...one of those books everyone seems to suggest but I've never got around to reading...so far its unusual...I want to read more so I can understand more but dunno if I'm actually enjoying it...if you know what I mean!!

:D

I know what you mean. It took me two attempts to finish it. I didnt care for the mixing of genres in the middle but it gets better and the second book is much better, imo.

Im looking forward to getting the third this christmas. (hint hint Santa)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Finally! I finished The Wheel of Time. Don't quite know what to make of the ending though, I'll give it time to digest before I form any strong opinions.

Moved on to The Republic of Thieves now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just to be different, I abandoned 'Makers' (which was just pissing me off) and have begun 'Republic of Thieves' . I'm about a third of the way in and very much enjoying it. Good to have the series back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is everyone reading Republic of Thieves?
    StRted it myself last week and after an initial difficulty I'm really enjoying it now. Some little hints at an overarching story as well. Hopefully we don't have as long a wait for the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I am really enjoying Republic of Thieves, I thought that it was a bit scattered at first but now it just works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is everyone reading Republic of Thieves?
    StRted it myself last week and after an initial difficulty I'm really enjoying it now. Some little hints at an overarching story as well. Hopefully we don't have as long a wait for the next.
    Got it last week and started reading it last night; only a few pages in but I got a business trip to Paris tomorrow so I got a feeling I'll put a dent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is Ender's Game any good? Have it on my iPod was going to lash into it whenever I finish Before They Are Hanged and some Chris Hitchins essays I'm reading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is Ender's Game any good? Have it on my iPod was going to lash into it whenever I finish Before They Are Hanged and some Chris Hitchins essays I'm reading.
    It is; quick read and the story is interesting (but not going revolutionary or require deep thinking over what was written).

• Advertisement

I, too, am reading reading Republic of Thieves.

Loving it. Lynch writes great dialogue. I always love how his characters interact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Just finished The Republic of Thieves, and enjoyed it, was very pleased with the ending and to my mind its more like Book 1 , than 2 .But a good book and entertaining.
    Just started A quest of Heroes its not bad so far , if a little simplistic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just working my way through Prince of Thorns and I really don't like this book or anyone in it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just working my way through Prince of Thorns and I really don't like this book or anyone in it.
    I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought this!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gertrude2

Just read the Dire Earth trilogy by Jason M Hough. First book is the Darwin Elevator. They're all issued since September. Well worth a read.

Unfortunately I couldn't help myself & skipped to the end reading book 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Gertrude2 wrote: »
    Just read the Dire Earth trilogy by Jason M Hough. First book is the Darwin Elevator. They're all issued since September. Well worth a read.

Unfortunately I couldn't help myself & skipped to the end reading book 3.

This is the 1st Time, I've read someone do this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

ixoy wrote: »
    I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought this!
    The second is better. But that doesnt really help in finishing the first:(

I started David Gemmels 'Legend' last night. Its years since i read it last and iirc its a cracking read so looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nody wrote: »
    It is; quick read and the story is interesting (but not going revolutionary or require deep thinking over what was written).

Flying through this, very enjoyable.

Was there something about the author turning out to be a racist or something in later years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 the-geezer

Just started reading George Orwells 1984 , first couple of chapters slow but hoping it picks up. Anyone else read this classic yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Was there something about the author turning out to be a racist or something in later years?

nah, he's a mormon, and against homosexuality and gay mariage, etc. For all intents and purposes his views are very backward by most people's standards, but pretty much in line with most mormons. Disregard his views, and enjoy his books. I think i've read most of them at this stage, and some of them i absolutely adore (ender's game being one).

• Advertisement

Any one else a bit underwhelmed by Republic of Thieves?

Enjoy; he's basically made an ass of himself over and over again in public about gay marriage etc.
    the-geezer wrote: »
    Just started reading George Orwells 1984 , first couple of chapters slow but hoping it picks up. Anyone else read this classic yet?
    Yup, read the animal farm next as well if you like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

the-geezer wrote: »

Years back. It makes sense as the years go by and you see what's happening in the world etc.

On a similar note, I'd recommend Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"

(and I know they are films but if you get a chance, watch "Brazil" and "Gattaca")

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Republic of Thieves, loved it, not quite as good as The Lies of Locke Lamora, but better than Red Sea under Red Skies.
    Started Divergent, its the last YA novel to be turned into a film. About 1/3 through, so far its better written than, say, The Hunger Games, but not as interesting. And most of the "twists" are obvious a mile off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Crossroads of Twilight - another prologue that takes up a hefty chunk of the page count!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh wow how did I never hear of the Lies of Locke Lamora before? Its amazingly good, sneaking out to the toilet to read it at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

old hippy wrote: »
    Years back. It makes sense as the years go by and you see what's happening in the world etc.

On a similar note, I'd recommend Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"

(and I know they are films but if you get a chance, watch "Brazil" and "Gattaca")

Yup, Brave New World is also a cracking read. Read it shortly after 1984. Must have been a phase :D. BNW might seem a bit tame nowadays considering a lot of post-apocalyptic that has made its way on to film but still well worth a read. 1984 is brilliant still though.

Finished Republic of Thieves.

Liked it. Just hope we don't have to wait as long for the next instalment.

Finally reading something by Guy Gavriel Kay, started Tigana.

Finished Republic of Thieves.

Liked it. Just hope we don't have to wait as long for the next instalment.

Finally reading something by Guy Gavriel Kay, started Tigana.

Apparently the next book was the original starting point in the series and some of it was already written aroubd the same time as Lies.
    There was also some more done at the same time as Republic of Thieves.
    Should be an 18month release period now unless Lynch has a significant relapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I enjoyed Republic of Thieves.
    Just started "on the Steel Breeze" by Alastair Reynolds, so far so good it is kind of a follow on from Blye earth remembered, but so far is not dependant on it.

Advertisement