Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Query

Options
  • 12-06-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Is there anyway possible to import a car, pay the vrt due and than export it at a later stage (18weeks) and get a partial refund on the VRT.

Or failing that, whats the maximum time allowed to drive on foreign plates? Im sure in certain circumstances there must be cases where it extends beyond the 3day 'rule'.

If anyone has any relevant expereince with this, would be intrested to hear. But Im not looking 'to get away' without paying VRT, so legit accepted scenarios only please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

recycle wrote: »
    Or failing that, whats the maximum time allowed to drive on foreign plates? Im sure in certain circumstances there must be cases where it extends beyond the 3day 'rule'.

Its actually a "next working day" rule, and the only way around it is if you fall into one of these categories:

Certain disabled drivers
    Visitors to Ireland who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who will be resident here temporarily
    People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland
    People posted to Ireland as part of the diplomatic corps

I don't think there's any refund for exporting it after it's been registered here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

phutyle wrote: »
    It's actually a 24 hour rule, and the only way around it is if you are a resident of another counrty visiting here for less than a year, or if you're Irish and you've lived abroad and own the car there for over 6 months.

Ok, ive looked at this for a while. Much like the Lisbon debate we've had its never particularly clear.

The 24hr thing is new to me, and sounds silly. Whats the situation if you arrive with the car into ireland at 4pm on a bank holiday weeked. Surely there not doing any biz at the w/ends. No logic in that.

Visitors to Ireland who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who will be resident here temporarily

This is the one that intrests me the most. Its a temporary thing for me. Id be happy to hand over x amount when i import the car if they can refund me y when i export again shortly after...

Any ideas

Ok, ive looked at this for a while. Much like the Lisbon debate we've had its never particularly clear.

The 24hr thing is new to me, and sounds silly. Whats the situation if you arrive with the car into ireland at 4pm on a bank holiday weeked. Surely there not doing any biz at the w/ends. No logic in that.

sorry, I was wrong about the 24 hours. it's the actually a "next working day" rule - I updated my post when I realised. So that covers bank holday weekends.

This is the one that intrests me the most. Its a temporary thing for me. Id be happy to hand over x amount when i import the car if they can refund me y when i export again shortly after...

Any ideas

If you're currently living abroad and will only be here for the 18 weeks, then you have no need to register it here at all.

If you currently live here, are importing a car soon and then emigrating in 18 weeks time (and taking the car with you), then you'll have to register it and I don't think you'll get any refund.

• Advertisement

phutyle wrote: »
    If you're currently living abroad and will only be here for the 18 weeks, then you have no need to register it here at all.

If you currently live here, are importing a car soon and then emigrating in 18 weeks time (and taking the car with you), then you'll have to register it and I don't think you'll get any refund.

Its bit of a stab in the dark. I just dont want to get jumped by customs at the lights and end up thumbing the bus home.

Im Irish and living here full time for the next short while

They say the laws an ass and i guess that goes for some of the taxation rules of the country.

I think i'll giv it a lash all the same in the nxt short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Im Irish and living here full time for the next short while..
    That does not make you a resident. Just carry enough docs to prove your status to Gardaí and/or Customs.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement