Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you book a RTW ticket with a company based outside of Ireland?

• 12-06-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

From stuff I had read on this forum, I gathered that RTW tickets restrict you to major hubs so I started this thread on thorntree to try to get some answers

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1614531

This is the last reply
    No, that's not true at all - RTW tickets do not just restrict you to major hubs. You can fly anywhere that the participating airlines fly to, so they can sometimes make going to remote destinations more affordable (for Example, OneWorld includes LAN, who are the only airline to fly to Easter Island, and which costs a fortune buying separately, whereas it is included as part of a OneWorld RTW ticket. The pass also covers LAN Argentina, LAN Peru and LAN Ecuador covering their full domestic route networks). It's similar for other airlines on other continents.

Whether or not it would work out cheaper is another matter, but don't thunk RTW = major hubs only.

So we went into Trailfinders and Usit and, lo and behold, they massively restrict you to major hubs. Trailfinders pretty much exclusively use British Airways. We couldn't even fly into Toronto ffs.

I'm having a look at oneworld.com at the moment. EDIT: Truly excellent website I must say. Huge range of cities to fly in and out of. The quote is probably more than Trailfinders etc. but the fact that you can fly basically anywhere you want could well make it work out the same in the end. i.e. I can fly from Mumbai to Kathmandu, and from Kathmandu to Bangkok {can't be done with Trailfinders}. So in this instance I would save the cost of a return flight to Kathmandu and hence the required added cost of a double entry visa to India. I can fly to Ottawa which saves me the cost and hassle of getting there from New York). I haven't gone through the policy in detail but I think you might also be able to change flights for no extra fee if you do it enough in advance and aren't changing destination.

Any others people know of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

In relation to the main question, Yes. We booked our RTW flights with STA travel, a UK company and saved about 300e over Usit or Trailfinders.
    Have to get our own flight to Heathrow but that's ok.

As regards hubs, I'm not sure of the situation with them.
    Worth giving them a call...

Advertisement