Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European freedom

Options
  • 12-06-2008 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hello, this is my first post here. I think that I should do a presentation of myself as first post, however the reason that push me to write here is more urgent than a such galateo things, so I will postpone it in a later time.

The reason on why I'm writing today is, as title says, the vote. A right that is only for you dear friends : today less than 4 millions of voters will vote for even 500 millions of europeans.
    Yes. This is the kind of "democracy" that the european bureaucrats are going to promote.

Sorry, this post is not fair, not "politically correct" to say something about a vote in the day of polls, nevertheless I am one of the 500 millions of people that has been deprived of one of the most basic rights of the humans: the right to vote.
    With evidence, the politicians thinks that we are a great mass of stupid, unable to decide for our own future, unable to understand the "benefits" of a such historic treaty, and the french and the netherlanders so idiots so that their poll has been put in a trash, rearranging what they already had rejected.

I'm not saying what is good and what is bad, I'm saying that every time someone is deprived of his/her right to achieve its own will, therefore to express his/her opinion, we are going back by a step in the history of our civilization.

Thank you for attention (...and please, vote also for me ;) )

Claudio G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

claudiog wrote: »
    The reason on why I'm writing today is, as title says, the vote. A right that is only for you dear friends : today less than 4 millions of voters will vote for even 500 millions of europeans.

Not true. Any EU government has the power to block the treaty by not ratifying it. If you have a problem with how your country is handling the ratification, take it up with them. Presumably you live in a democracy? Well, exercise your democratic rights and talk to your elected representatives instead of whining about it on the internet.

Edit: sorry if my post comes across as unfriendly. You have a right to express your opinion, I just disagree with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Hi Caludio,

You are one of several citizens of other EU countries asking us to support you by voting no.

While I respect your request, I would suggest that you would achieve far more by protesting in your own country in an attempt to convince your politicians to use referendums.

I assume you are posting here because the public in your own country are not that interested in politics or the Lisbon treaty. It is you who must change this. It's not fair to ask us to vote no in order to raise the issue in your state.

Why have you found it so difficult to convince your public about this? Again I must assume it is because the vast majority are happy (or perhaps just not unhappy) with allowing their government to ratify EU treaties, and presumably they are also happy (or not unhappy) with the progression of the EU over the past few decades.

We may all have opinions on whether referendums are appropriate, but ultimately if the public does not consider it a big issue during their general elections, then that is their choice.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yes. This is the kind of "democracy" that the european bureaucrats are going to promote.

Claudio, welcome first of all. I understand you're plight. Myself I support the No side of this argument. However please recognise that today less than 4 million voters will vote fot less than 4 million Irish voters. You're government and other's have cast you're votes rightly or wrongly and that is an issue for you take to take up with your own government. Which again I strongly suggest you do. However we as a nation must vote what we feel is right for us as the E.U requires all nations to happy with the proposed treaty not a public majority. Your input, though I sympathize is out of place at this moment.
    Sorry, and welcome again.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Sorry, this post is not fair, not "politically correct" to say something about a vote in the day of polls, nevertheless I am one of the 500 millions of people that has been deprived of one of the most basic rights of the humans: the right to vote.
    The "right" to vote is not a basic right. It's a pretty sophisticated right, if you look at it properly.
    With evidence, the politicians thinks that we are a great mass of stupid, unable to decide for our own future, unable to understand the "benefits" of a such historic treaty
    Without very many exceptions, we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 claudiog

Yes, you are right, I admit it, I'm not fair, I've said it. Sorry.

I want only balance who is saying that "the Irish vote is critical for the EU future", implicitly suggesting you to vote Yes.

And more, your guess about the degree of democracy of the government of the other states is ingenuos.
    Finally, be prepared, you're vote is *not* for Irish, you're voting for an EU treaty, that involves also many other europeans, which cannot be simply resolved by saying: ask to your government.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yes, you are right, I admit it, I'm not fair, I've said it. Sorry.

I want only balance who is saying that "the Irish vote is critical for the EU future", implicitly suggesting you to vote Yes.

And more, your guess about the degree of democracy of the government of the other states is ingenuos.
    Finally, be prepared, you're vote is *not* for Irish, you're voting for an EU treaty, that involves also many other europeans, which cannot be simply resolved by saying: ask to your government.

Good luck.

No our vote is "for Irish", we are voting whether we want to accept an EU treaty, you have already accepted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

cornbb wrote: »
    Not true. Any EU government has the power to block the treaty by not ratifying it.

And do you really think any of the other ghe Governments are going to reject the treaty after already signing it in Lisbon? Lets all admit it: the ratification processes are a done deal at this point, except for Ireland. So claiming that Claudio G can somehow talk to his government in pulling a u-turn and voting no is expecting a bit much of the representative democratic systems we live under. Representatives are always going to place the wishes of the chief whips above the voices of a handful in their constituency.

Saying that, I still consider this to be an external issue: I would not have voted No on that basis. But if this is the kind of democracy that our EU masters "draw their inspiration from", then the democratic legitimisy of the Union is in question.

But now don't pull the card that the EU doesn't have control over ratification. The EU is composed of 27 governments, each of whom have control over the ratification in their country. As such, the members of the EU, especcially those who actually negotiated the treaty (PM's and the like), do have control over how it is passed, and they could have had referenda.

No our vote is "for Irish", we are voting whether we want to accept an EU treaty, you have already accepted it.

No, you see Call Me Jimmy Claudio's elected representatives have "already accepted it". So have ours. But he hasn't. See post above.

Well then he must have a fundamental problem with the democracy in his country, no? Is it that he wants to be able to force referenda on his country whenever he wants?

THANK YOU! This is the worst tactic both sides are pulling.
    It's not a majority vote. It's a unanimous decision based on how each country as a whole votes.

If we pass it, people who oppose it in their own country have to question how much faith they have in their governments not complain about us.

And like wise if we reject it other EU states (and certain french leaders) have to accept we are completely in our right to do so under said process!

This IS and Irish issue. And we must decide what's best for us and then, and only then look at the ramifications due to the rules set out. We are voting for whats best for 4million not 200million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 claudiog

Okay, I've talk enough, may be too much.

Well then he must have a fundamental problem with the democracy in his country, no? Is it that he wants to be able to force referenda on his country whenever he wants?

Oh yeah, what kind of argument are you trying you pull off??? In fairness, come on, as if any other legislation has such an effect on everyone. This is reforming their government, they have a right to say how they are governed. Or do they??????

Classic post. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Indeed ...

People advocating a yes vote, say the no voters should think about how we will look to the rest of europe and that we should think of our EU Neighbours

On the other hand they say 'stuff them' when someone mentions that they didnt get a vote

Super

No I don't think you're offending anyone (too much ;)) but you obviously will be met with arguments for what ye say, that's the nature of this here discussion forum!

Okay, I've talk enough, may be too much.

Yeah claudiog, maybe you right. Some people just don't get it. First their claiming that you did in fact agree with the treaty ("you have already accepted it."), and now their saying the treaty has as small effect as regular legislation. ("able to force referenda on his country whenever he wants").

turgon wrote: »
    Oh yeah, what kind of argument are you trying you pull off??? In fairness, come on, as if any other legislation has such an effect on everyone. This is reforming their government, they have a right to say how they are governed. Or do they??????

Classic post. Well done.

Nice attitude! What I'm saying is his problem is with his system and because his system is failing him he thinks that our system is now responsible for his cause? I disagree completely, but hey if talking the way you do makes you feel better then keep it up.

(Off-topic) It's a shame this is the guy's first impression of posting a topic on boards.

Though I don't agree with voting because of outside influences I do understand why youre upset and probably feel voiceless in this situation. I hope you're opinion of the boards isn't to badly tarnished by an (obviously) opinionated politics section.

This is a classic argument of the pro-Yes side: that the ratification process has nothing to do with the EU. When in fact it is the members of the European Council who decide on their countries ratification procedures. If they really do swear by democracy, then maybe the council should have decided that at least the 15 old states should have referenda.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Though I don't agree with voting because of outside influences I do understand why youre upset and probably feel voiceless in this situation. I hope you're opinion of the boards isn't to badly tarnished by an (obviously) opinionated politics section.

Apologies if I come off too militaristic like. I just fundamentally believe that people should have the freedom to decide their form and system of government.

But having said that, the fact that only Eire is have a referendum is not a reason I have voted No.

This is a classic argument of the pro-Yes side: that the ratification process has nothing to do with the EU. When in fact it is the members of the European Council who decide on their countries ratification procedures. If they really do swear by democracy, then maybe the council should have decided that at least the 15 old states should have referenda.

While that's a fair point, as a fellow No voter I do believe both sides are equally as guilty of using the rest of Europe to influence an Irish vote. It's a shame for them but this vote is about what's best for us.

• Advertisement

While that's a fair point, as a fellow No voter I do believe both sides are equally as guilty of using the rest of Europe to influence an Irish vote. It's a shame for them but this vote is about what's best for us.

And I totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

craichoe wrote: »
    Indeed ...

People advocating a yes vote, say the no voters should think about how we will look to the rest of europe and that we should think of our EU Neighbours

On the other hand they say 'stuff them' when someone mentions that they didnt get a vote

Super

Correction.....some people advocating a Yes vote have said this. Not all.

Shooter, I must say the first few posts were pretty decent. And either way politics is always going to illicit major reaction. While I disagree with Claudio on his point I would strongly encourage him to express it.

So to the OP, don't apologise for bringing the topic up. Its one that is actually a very hot topic here already. We all recognise how fortunate we are that we've been given the opportunity to vote on this. However we have to think of Ireland first before the rest of the EU. Politics is, after all, little more than an expression of self-interest. Don't be put off by peoples reactions here either. We tend to get fired up for these debates but for as argumentative as we may sound we mean absolutely nothing by it on a personal level (generally, but as the ad says "There's always one"). Feel free to jump in with your thoughts and don't shy away from the debate, because believe me we won't!! :D

The EU has absolutely no legal right to dictate how a country ratifies a Treaty. It is not the members of the EU Council that decide how we ratify anything. That is built into our legal system and any EU legislation etc has to be voted on according to each member states rules and regulations regarding the issue in question.
    At present the Treaties governing the EU are amended only by the Member States agreeing to an amending treaty which must then be approved by the Member States in accordance with their own constitutional traditions. In almost all cases this involves parliamentary approval. In some cases, for example in Ireland, a referendum may be required.

http://www.lisbontreaty2008.ie/lisbon_treaty_changes_gov.html

The ratification process is a matter for the state and the state alone. The outcome is a matter for the EU. That is why many people are opposed to being told by other nationalities how to vote while at the same time pointing to potential fall-outs if we do vote no. These are two totally unrelated things entirely.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The ratification process is a matter for the state and the state alone. The outcome is a matter for the EU. That is why many people are opposed to being told by other nationalities how to vote while at the same time pointing to potential fall-outs if we do vote no. These are two totally unrelated things entirely.

I totaly agree but wouldn't you say people are also telling said potential fall outs that it's not our concern yet point out how bad we'll look to the rest of the E.U if we do vote no are equally as hypocritical? As i said its 50/50.

I totaly agree but wouldn't you say people are also telling said potential fall outs that it's not our concern yet point out how bad we'll look to the rest of the E.U if we do vote no are equally as hypocritical? As i said its 50/50.

Sorry, not sure I follow? Do you mean people who tell other EU countries that the fall-outs are not our concern or the people who tell other EU citiznes that the fact they didn't get to vote is not our concern?

Sorry, not sure I follow? Do you mean people who tell other EU countries that the fall-outs are not our concern or the people who tell other EU citiznes that the fact they didn't get to vote is not our concern?

I mean those that tell other europeans it's not our fault they don't have a vote and we won't vote no because of that but yet one of the reasons they give us to vote yes is the backlash from other E.U states if we vote no. Im not debating the yes/no vote here I'm simply saying that both sides are guilty of using the rest of europe hypocritically to push their agenda....

I mean those that tell other europeans it's not our fault they don't have a vote and we won't vote no because of that but yet one of the reasons they give us to vote yes is the backlash from other E.U states if we vote no. Im not debating the yes/no vote here I'm simply saying that both sides are guilty of using the rest of europe hypocritically to push their agenda....

Oh well anyone who refuses to vote no on the basis that someone else in the EU asked them to is as daft as the person who refuses to vote yes because a few politicians started talking about the potential fall-out. Yeah I completely agree with you there. As I've often said before, it doesn't matter what the disagreement is over. There's always eejits on both sides!

The EU has absolutely no legal right to dictate how a country ratifies a Treaty. It is not the members of the EU Council that decide how we ratify anything. That is built into our legal system and any EU legislation etc has to be voted on according to each member states rules and regulations regarding the issue in question.

Yeah I know, but you are completely ignoring my argument. I am saying if that the European Council, as heads of Government, wanted to have referenda in each country they could. At the end of the day it is the decision of the head of government how to pass it in their country (except Ireland), and all such heads of government are in the European Council.

It is a distortion to say the the EU and the ratification process are completely separate. Those who have the power to call referenda directly contribute to the EU.

Yeah I know, but you are completely ignoring my argument. I am saying if that the European Council, as heads of Government, wanted to have referenda in each country they could. At the end of the day it is the decision of the head of government how to pass it in their country (except Ireland), and all such heads of government are in the European Council.

It is a distortion to say the the EU and the ratification process are completely separate. Those who have the power to call referenda directly contribute to the EU.

Thats totally untrue. The countries constitutions states what a referendum can and can't be used for. No head of Government or Government as a whole can decide whether to have a referedum or not willy nilly. It is all legislated by the countries constitution to protect the rights of the citizen. From what I know Italy for example cannot ratify Treaties via referenda, it is illegal there. Sure if the Government could decide whether or not to have referenda they never have them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The point the yes campaigners are trying to make but somehow missing is that we don't have to deal with electorate of the 26 other countries we do have to deal with their governments. So by default what their governments think is far more important to us than what their electorate thinks. That is if you narrow down your point of view as to what Ireland should get out of it. However civic duty would have us do what is best for all concerned regardless of what their governments think, and in my opinion the treaty is good for all concerned. I am not a fan of referenda on such complex treaties and therefore I accept that other countries prefer to leave it up to their national governments.

Advertisement