Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed NCT on reverse light but report states Stop Lamps

Options
  • 12-06-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for a bit of help. I failed my NCT recently as the light on the reverse light wasn't working on the drivers side, the other works just fine. Unfortunately the problems seems to be a bit more than just a blown bulb as i tried a few and its still not working. Not a problem with the light unit as i swaped the unit to the other side and it was fine so can only conclude that it's a problem with the wire somewhere along the line.

The thing is that it would be such a pain to fix and the NCT report has on it:

Fail/Refusal: Stop Lamps (26)

So my question is has it been mistakenly been put down as the brake lights and would i be able to chance going back and showing them 2 working brake lights? I will get it fixed but it's not due a service for another 4-5 months. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try and hopefully they'll pass you this time.
    One working reverse light should be enough imo, a lot of cars just have one reverse light anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

cgc5483 wrote: »
    So my question is has it been mistakenly been put down as the brake lights and would i be able to chance going back and showing them 2 working brake lights?

This is in the Visual Defects section? I've never had a car fail on lights, so I don't know how they re-inspect for that stuff. I mean, what sort of spanner would bring a car for a test...

ahem, sorry. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi. Looking for a bit of help. I failed my NCT recently as the light on the reverse light wasn't working on the drivers side, the other works just fine. Unfortunately the problems seems to be a bit more than just a blown bulb as i tried a few and its still not working. Not a problem with the light unit as i swaped the unit to the other side and it was fine so can only conclude that it's a problem with the wire somewhere along the line.

The thing is that it would be such a pain to fix and the NCT report has on it:

Fail/Refusal: Stop Lamps (26)

So my question is has it been mistakenly been put down as the brake lights and would i be able to chance going back and showing them 2 working brake lights? I will get it fixed but it's not due a service for another 4-5 months. Thanks

Only legally required to have one reversing light on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Reverse lights aren't part of the test whereas stop lights are, you can go in with no reverse lights working and still pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

biko wrote: »
    You can try and hopefully they'll pass you this time.
    One working reverse light should be enough imo, a lot of cars just have one reverse light anyway.

Exactly what i thought. Plus the clear reverse light is the one that is working and not the red one.

In answer to Zube: A very busy guy i was in the middle of trying to move house. I checked all the bulbs myself except of course the reverse lights which aren't the easiest to check alone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

the clear reverse light is the one that is working and not the red one.

What ?? no such thing as a red reversing light

what kind of car is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Exactly what i thought. Plus the clear reverse light is the one that is working and not the red one.
    You'll find that the red one is your fog light. If it's not white/clear, it's not a reversing light.

1093298_20080610080626_5.jpg

like this one

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sounds like your fogs all right, rather then reversing light. Do you know where the switch for this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MarkR wrote: »
    Do you know where the switch for this is?
    Once you find the switch the headlights also have to be on for the switch to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

JHMEG wrote: »
    Once you find the switch the headlights also have to be on for the switch to work.

Ok now i feel like an idiot. It just so happens that it is an Almera so it is the fog light. It did dawn on me at one stage that it might be the fog like but forgot to check it :eek:

Still I'm not as bad as the NCT guy who told me my reversing light on the drivers side wasn't working :D

In any case i found a pdf of the NCT manual and the reverse light as suggested aren't even part of the test.

Thanks to all.

It just so happens that it is an Almera
    ;);) i knew it was thats why i put up that pic :P

Advertisement