Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian clubs linked with 17yo McCarthy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yep heard about this. Didn't know whether to put it up here.

He looks like the real deal, and won young player of the year as Hamilton won promotion to the SPL.

The future is Green!!!

I doubt it will happen, but as I said on another forum, its so random you never know.

He's probably worth more than the Ramsey guy.

The truth is by 2014, Ireland are going to have a quality midfield if players develop the way they should.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Sounds like the Robbie Keane situation why he first broke through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where is he from?

Like, is he another Mack Eddie, or is he from ireland?

Another MCGEADY.:rolleyes:

Don't worry Des, we have two Dublin lads coming through....Robert Brady(I think his name) is touted as being the 'next Gigg's

And we have Conor Clifford at Chelsea.

And another lad(midfielder) was voted in the team of the tournament for the u-17 european cup in May. I think it was Donahue(or something) from Cork. He plays with Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

he's from glasgow but he registered for ireland, though scotland really wanted him

• Advertisement

Now if Garvan can make the breakthrough we are settled.

McGeady Garvan McCarthy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think that Palermo and Lazio were the only 2 teams in the world that he hadn't been linked with!! He got a year left before he finds out about beer and women. Here's hoping he comes out of his teenage years in a blaze of glory and doesn't end up on a scrap heap somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

flanzer wrote: »
    I think that Palermo and Lazio were the only 2 teams in the world that he hadn't been linked with!! He got a year left before he finds out about beer and women. Here's hoping he comes out of his teenage years in a blaze of glory and doesn't end up on a scrap heap somewhere

HA! the boy's from Hamilton, he knew about beer, buckfast and women a long time ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just what we need another British lad on the Irish team.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

we'll swap him for Danny Murphy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I think he's from the same area in Glasgow as Houghton, and they're family friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

another ronnie o'brien?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

what about John Joe O'Toole (english born, blatently Irish) how do people rate him for a futre Ireland birth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

To be fair to himslef and McGeady, they both declared for Ireland as fetuses, so they can't really be put in the same bracket as Clinton and the rest of the 'Oirish' who used the green jersey for club career advancement.

what about John Joe O'Toole (english born, blatently Irish) how do people rate him for a futre Ireland birth?

Blatently Irish, how does a name make you blatently Irish.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blatently Irish, how does a name make you blatently Irish.:confused:

Eh Sean Dundee , thats why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure if the young fella should move just yet. I agree with his manager that a season in the SPL might do him good. Looks like he'll get plenty of chances and it might help make him stronger.

Come on Gav.

Nationality shouldn't just be purely geographical. I have a problem with people like Morrison, but players like Sean Scannell and McCarthy feel Irish....and they have Irish passports.

They're both 17, its not like their 26 and are joining the Irish setup to further their careers.

BTW, I don't think O'Toole will make it at the best level needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Oh jesus, get a grip. Honestly like. We have a handful of foreign players of Irish descent who by and large have always had us on their radar.

In the last few days Ive seen:

Poland sunk 2-0 after a double scored by....a Polish guy.
    Poland keep their slim hopes of survival alive via a goal scored by a Brazillian who got a passport in April
    A Brazillian playing for Turkey who goes as far as to legally add a Turkish name to his original Brazillian name
    A French team playing with at least one player who didnt even grow up in France (Malouda afaik. Not sure about Thuram either)
    A Turkish team playing against a Swiss team with at least one Turkish citizen on it
    A Croat team who suffered in their opening match without the presence of their injured Brazillian star
    While I dont think he is playing this tournament, the Dutch not too long ago fastracked a passport for an African Erdivise player didnt they?

In light of the above our selection policies are pretty much above board.

Come on Gav.

Nationality shouldn't just be purely geographical. I have a problem with people like Morrison, but players like Sean Scannell and McCarthy feel Irish....and they have Irish passports.

They're both 17, its not like their 26 and are joining the Irish setup to further their careers.

BTW, I don't think O'Toole will make it at the best level needed.

So my 17 year old mate from Tanzania who lived in Ireland since he was five, learns the Irish language and has an Irish passport can play for the national side?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote: »
    Oh jesus, get a grip. Honestly like. We have a handful of foreign players of Irish descent who by and large have always had us on their radar.

Em most of them are playing for us either because they're too sh*t to play for England or too good to play for Scotland, has nothing to do with anything else.

So my 17 year old mate from Tanzania who lived in Ireland since he was five, learns the Irish language and has an Irish passport can play for the national side?:rolleyes:

Yeah. Is he any good? Is that true or is this Tanzanian a fiction of your imagination?

I would consider someone who has lived here since five very much Irish.

Em most of them are playing for us either because they're too sh*t to play for England or too good to play for Scotland, has nothing to do with anything else.

Morrison-too **** I agree
    Kilbane-even if he was as good as Pele would have played for Ireland
    Carsley-I can't say
    Steven Reid-He's been playing for us since he was 19. He could have forced his way into the England team
    Scannell-Probably will be as good as Ashley Young, maby better. He is showing more than Young was at that age

Look at the Swiss team: Behrami, Vonlathen, Djourou and Gelson Fernandes were not born in Switzerland.

The German team has Neuville(Swiss), Podolski,Trochowski and Klose and Kuryani all not born in Germany. That is a country with 80million. For a country of just over 4.5 million we don't do that bad.

Corluka was born in Bosnia.

Yes indeed he can.

If he has lived in Ireland since he was 5 then he is for all intents and purposes Irish.

I moved to Ireland for the first time when i was 9 and consider myself to be every bit as Irish as i am Scottish, would you have a problem with me playing for Ireland (If of course i was any good :o)

Yeah. Is he any good? Is that true or is this Tanzanian a fiction of your imagination?

I would consider someone who has lived here since five very much Irish.

Yup he's decent had trials with Chartlon Athletic last year when he was in Tanzania during the summer and played with UCD for a while. Alothough he plays with Harolds Cross at the moment and they're a piss poor side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Eirebear wrote: »
    I moved to Ireland for the first time when i was 9 and consider myself to be every bit as Irish as i am Scottish, would you have a problem with me playing for Ireland (If of course i was any good :o)

yea but you're a hun, thats different ;)

Quite a good point there Alan.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yea but you're a hun, thats different ;)
    Quite a good point there Alan.

Yeah, I'd probably get booed.

Or at least someone who looked a little like me would get booed. :p;)

LOL.....Peter Loven(however you spell that name) krands you ****ing hun...british danish ****!!!

Random lad: Thats Stig Tofting.

*It better have been him or I will look silly*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Viera, Evra and a few others are in the same situation, so in this case, yeah, NP. What is a bad thing is putting adults who arrived in a country to play in their league into the national squad.

You reckon Dean Kiely is too sh1t to play for England?

LOL.....Peter Loven(however you spell that name) krands you ****ing hun...british danish ****!!!

Random lad: Thats Stig Tofting.

*It better have been him or I will look silly*

lol yeah i think it went something like that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

How about me? Moved to Ireland when I was 4, still hold a Swedish passport,my Swedish and Irish are decent but English is the only language Im fluent at. Id consider myself Irish if anything, certainly not Swedish. Ive kept my Swedish passport cos its handy, its all the eu so its all the same, Id have to fill out forms and queue to change and theres really no reason to.

As Shane86 said its gone beyond a joke at this stage again, anyone can play for any country they like.

I don't think its too bad really. You might have a few players born outside the country but it will always be an overwhelming majority.....

Ireland team:

Given

Kelly(Finnan) Dunne O'Shea Delaney
    Duff Steven Reid Andy Reid McGeady
    Keane Doyle

Two players from that team were not born in Ireland. That will probably be our first team come the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

It would be Ireland in for Andy Reid there for me. Apart from that, spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I having doubts over JJ at the minute. He has all the heart when playing and is a pretty good passer of the ball. At times he lacks positional sens and that could be his downfall. However, because he's young, he could pick it up along the way.

Don't think he'll ever be anything more than an impact player for Ireland.

EDIT: Esteban just seen your post on that midfield. In 6 or 7 years time that would be a brilliant midfield.

Really hope Robbie makes it at United, when ever I played against him he always had something special about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

yea read about him before alright hope he has a big future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You seem to have a big chip on your shoulder about folk who are not born in the RoI playing for the RoI... why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A chance to see McCarthy tonight at 7.45 on Setanta against Dundee Utd. He had a decent pre-season winning player of the tournament in some crappy tournament against English league 1 sides.

I've just really been watching McCarthy for the first 45 minutes. He was taken out 4 times already and is clearly a marked man. It's certainly not a game for a good footballer to shine but he's done ok on the ball. Off the ball is where he's really impressed though. He just knows instinctively where to be when the opposition have the ball. He got into his own box when Utd were on the break to put the ball out for what would have been a corner if it wasn't offside. Then he made an excellent interception before playing a 1-2 and going on a run before being fouled. He made a couple of fouls himself to be fair.

Very laid back player who seems to care more about the team than his own game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

SantryRed wrote: »
    Really hope Robbie makes it at United, when ever I played against him he always had something special about him.

So do I.

I grew up across the street from him, and remember kicking about with him 10 years ago. At age ten he was playing with the local 15/16 year-olds

• Advertisement

He's getting some rough treatment. He put in a superb tackle to win possession and Flood came flying in with one of his sliding tackles. He was down for a bit after it.

Just before the 3rd goal Hamilton had the ball and Dundee Utd were watching. As soon as McCarthy got the ball there was 2 players straight on him. He passed to a teammate and got the ball back a few seconds later. He was put under a lot of pressure but played an excellent pass inside which opened up the play and the goal came then after another pass. Basically, Dundee Utd let a Hamilton player free to double up on McCarthy and he exploited it.

He's gonna be superb. Such an intelligent player.

Advertisement