Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German (both levels) who even does it? predictions...everything else

Options
  • 12-06-2008 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem much talk of the German exam on here.
    Few conversations, all scattered.
    Could this be the 'day before the exam' topic, every subject gets one (see LC HISTORY etc.)

Anyway, I'm OL.

What do people expect in terms of topics?

HL or OL.

I'd bank on sports, drogs and education.

Expecting an A, managed 55 in HL mocks but dropped down to ease the stress levels on myself, as I don't need too many points anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

I'm aiming for a C hopefully in higher level!
    Our teacher only did one letter with us over our entire two years!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

We've covered all the exam papers this year so hopefully that will stand to me. I need a good result in this for my course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'd be looking for around 75% at least in this one. Higher Level. I'm studying some grammar tonight just ot make sure I can maximise my marks in the Ausserung zum Thema, and in the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm doing HL and I'm hoping to pass it as thats all I need.I think I could get a B if it goes well but I'm bad at tape and comprehensions so I dont know what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

So far today, I've just been going over all the letters from the exam papers. I have answers done out for them all. Then I just learned some phrases and vocabulary.
    Still need to go over grammar for Angewandte Grammatik. I'm so bad at it. I got 50% in my mocks with no study. So hopefully, I can drag that up to a C with the bit of work I've done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 plug-in-baby

i do honours .. we just covered all previous topics in exam papers

and one or two extra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I'm doing ordinary level. Not that concerned about what I get once I pass (which I should easily). I've had today and yesterday off and I've spent all my study time studying for physics on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

Im doin higher level and the best thing that i could say is 2 do at least 1 tape exam tonight. You havent heard german being spoken for over 2 weeks so listen to some now !!!!Even better if you could do some again in the morning before you go.
    remember that if you did a good oral then dat got you 25%. tape is worth 20% so there is 45% already!!!
    the letter is only worth 12.5% so dont stress out over this
    i would recommend spenting a good bit of time on the 2 comperhensions as each are worth 15% each !!!:)

Higher level should learn as many essays as possible: drugs, violence,obesity,olympics,Ireland, EU,car accidents,.......

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

The Letter and the Ausserung are pracitcally impossible to predict. I don't know how you could be predicting them. And in fairness you only have to write 100 words for the Ausserung and 160 for the Letter, it's not exactly that hard. Just know some nice phrases that will suit whichever topic comes up, all those little things like Meiner Meinung Nach and Im Großen und Ganzen, all those nice little things to start off a sentence. You'd be able to insert those into any topic.

The Angewandte Grammatik is a little bit easier to predict, with everyone talking about Relative Pronouns coming up. Adjectival Endings seemed to be hotly tipped aswell. Also heard Frageworte aswell, but who knows?

I'd be surprised if there was no mention of Euro 2008 somewhere on the paper tomorrow, either in the written section or the Listening, considering it's taking place in two German-speaking countries. Possibly the Olympics also but it's very hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Im hoping for a B, I need a C1 in german to get my course next year so under a bit of pressure, all the same im good at german and the oral went very well.

Im fairly poor in the grammer section but its only worth 25m so that wont be too bad, very good at tape and alright at everything else so here to hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I've been hearing a lot about drugs/smoking/alcohol and that kind of thing for the ausserung and letter, but like someone else said, I think you'd be better off just learning phrases. I'm hoping for an A, but I don't think it's going to happen, listening always brings me down. :/

Anyway, for tonight I'm just going to learn some handy letter openings, go back over grammer and do a listening or two. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Can't recommend doing some listening tonight enough. It's where most people fall down. Make sure you know which sections to answer in English and which to answer in German. Make sure you know how many times you'll hear each section - highlight as soon as you get to see the listening paper. The aural isn't actually all that terrible once you've practised and you know the above.

Good luck to everyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 VaccinalBowl

Some important aspects of grammar to remember that will help with writing your own stuff and also maybe with the grammar!

Some prepositions are always accusative. Fuer, ueber, durch, gegen,entlang ,bis, ohne, wider.

Easy to remember if you think of the word FUDGEBOW.

Some common dative ones:
    aus außer bei gegenüber mit nach seit von zu

Prepostions which can take both:an auf hinter neben über unter vor zwischen

For the prepostions which take both just think is there motion involved and if there is then the prepositin takes accussative.

Remember subjects are nominative, objects accussative but sometimes dative. The common exceptions to this are:
    antworten
    denken
    fehlen
    folgen
    gefallen
    gehören
    glauben
    helfen
    Leid tun
    passieren
    verzeihen
    wehtun

For example: Ich lade sie ein.
    but Ich gebe ihr ein Buch,um ihr zu helfen.

It might also be a good idea to know your conjugation tables:
    These can be found in your text book. What I mean here is know when to say

Der blaue Mann but ein blauer Mann etc.

Also know the most common irregular verbs fully conjugated gehen, fahren, sein etc.

I think with a good understanding of all these your grammar will be of A1 standard. At least for leaving cert! Also I do not think genetive case features in the leaving Cert so just ignore it.

One more thing
    aber, sondern ,und, denn,oder do not change word order of a sentence.
    zB Ich mag Call of Duty 4, aber Gears of war ist besser.
    But:
    als
    bevor
    bis
    da
    damit
    dass
    ehe
    falls
    indem
    nachdem
    ob
    obgleich
    obschon
    obwohl
    seit/seitdem
    sobald
    sodass / so dass
    solang(e)
    trotzdem
    während
    weil
    wenn

all put the verb to the end of the sentence. zB Der Mann war traurig, weil seine Tochter gestorben ist.

Oh and to form tenses
    Present: Ich gehe
    Imperfect:Ich ging
    Perfect: Ich bin gegangen
    PluPerfect: Ich war gegangen
    Future: werden+infinitive at end. Ich werde gehen.

modal verbs. put second verb to end
    koennen
    mussen,
    wollen
    sollen
    duerfen
    moegen

zB Ich muss meine Hausaufgaben immer machen.

Also for some reason lassen does this also

zb Lass mich gehen. If anyone has any grammar questions pm me! I'd love to help. I'll write back to them at 10:30 pm tonight if you want help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Thanks for the tips!

But isn't the "U" of "FUDGEBOW"...Um? Instead of Über?

Riotguy wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips!

But isn't the "U" of "FUDGEBOW"...Um? Instead of Über?

AH yeah you're riht. Ueber takes both.

Ich gehe ueber die Strasse.
    Der Laden liegt ueber der Strasse!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Aiming for a b1 and I will actually be devestated if I don't get it!

Anyway relative pronouns are extremely likely for the grammer section. I'd do problems of today - drugs, violence etc, Olympics/ sport could come up either on the tape of the written,

But definately go over relative pronouns as that's easy marks!

lizt wrote: »
    Aiming for a b1 and I will actually be devestated if I don't get it!

Anyway relative pronouns are extremely likely for the grammer section. I'd do problems of today - drugs, violence etc, Olympics/ sport could come up either on the tape of the written,

But definately go over relative pronouns as that's easy marks!

Forgot about Relatives! Also remember that they can take the form of was und wo(r)+ueber.

Meine Freundin küßt einen anderen Jung, was mir auf den Nerven ging.
    Meine Freundin küßt einen anderen Jung, worueber wir gesprochen haben.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Oh yeah, I heard racism could come up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

This is an overview of the Angewante Grammatik since 1999

Cases:2006, 2003, 2000

Pronouns:2007, 2005

Tenses:2007, 2005, 2004, 2002

Frageworter:2006, 2003, 2001

Relative Pronoun: 2004, 2001

Adjectives endings: 2002, 2000

Kunjuctions: 1999

Synonyms:2006, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999

Kompsitia: 2002

Direkte/Indirekte rede: 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

God I hate predicting, well the way I see it, you should concentrate on tape and forget the grammer, its only worth a mesely 25marks.

in saying that you should be good at it as youll need it in the letter...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

PILOT wrote: »
    This is an overview of the Angewante Grammatik
    since 1999
    2006, 2003, 2000
    2007, 2005 2007, 2005, 2004,
    2002 2006, 2003, 2001 2004, 2001 2002, 2000
    1999 2006, 2005,2004, 2001, 2000, 1999 2002 2000

......oh my god.. the illuminati are writing our german papers!....

Neway, im doin pass and ive completely ignored it so far, its like my joke
    subject. what would i need to do to merely pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

WHERE CAN I GET SAMPLE ESSAYS ESPEICALLY ON OLYMPICS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Here ya go matey, http://www.specialolympics.de/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

laura* wrote: »
    WHERE CAN I GET SAMPLE ESSAYS ESPEICALLY ON drugs voilence crime immigration

fixed, u'll thank me 2morow :P

and i want them xD

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

luke999 wrote: »

Thanks
    thats looks complicated though
    so i think ill just stick to violence
    and pray ill be ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Sprachschatz...
    Can anyone tell me where in this shagging book is relative pronouns covered? I need to do some exercises, bevor es zu spät ist! D:

As for predictions, oh, I'm not the best person to come to to seek help for German but I would advise people to go to the back of the Horschatz books, fill in the vocab translations for the weather/news/etc and learn them. You don't want to be stuck when obscure words come up in the aural, and they could crop up in the written paper too.

laura* wrote: »
    Thanks
    thats looks complicated though
    so i think ill just stick to violence
    and pray ill be ok :D
    all i have done is listen to the german rapper bushido and hope to improve my tape, and it didnt really :(

i cant find any good pre written eassays :(

monellia wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where in this shagging book are relative pronouns covered? I need to do some exercises, bevor es zu spät ist! D:

As for predictions, oh, I'm not the best person to come to to seek help for German but I would advise people to go to the back of the Horschatz books, fill in the vocab translations for the weather/news/etc and learn them. You don't want to be stuck when obscure words come up in the aural, and they could crop up in the written paper too.

what book? may be wikipedia? http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativpronomen, i have managed to do good in leavingcert because of boards and wikipedia i would have been lost otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

salman85 wrote: »
    what book? may be wikipedia? http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativpronomen, i have managed to do good in leavingcert because of boards and wikipedia i would have been lost otherwise
    Oh cheers! I was actually looking for the page number for which the Relativpronomen section is covered in the book Sprachschatz, though. I said the name in the title of my post, probs shoulda made that clearer. I will def have a look over this wiki article, though, thanks for replying!

• Advertisement

monellia wrote: »
    Oh cheers! I was actually looking for the page number for which the Relativpronomen section is covered in the book Sprachschatz, though. I said the name in the title of my post, probs shoulda made that clearer. I will def have a look over this wiki article, though, thanks for replying!

we only used 1 text book in 2 years of leaving, it was in 5th year erfolgskurs 1 and we had horshatz for listning and the exampapers

Advertisement