Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouch ... I crashed

Options
  • 12-06-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi -

I crashed while training last tuesday in the park, my back wheel hit something and I lost control of th bike, hit a few traffic cones, and landed on by back. I was ok to cycle another hour after that. I wasn't very sore. Yesterday I work up with the worst pain in my back, around and under my right shoulder. That's what hit the road 1st.
    Today the pain is still there. Nothing is broken, no bruises around that area, just pain ... when I lift my arm or when I push a door, or when I move my shoulder in general.

Am I likely to have pulled a muscle or a ligament or something?

Thanks ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Jeebus Caroline you could have fractured your collarbone or shoulder blade. When I broke my collarbone I could move my arm but not beyond my shoulder height. Get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Probably just bad bruising of the muscle that hit the deck first. Should be seeing some discolouration at this stage. If you can move everyting then you should be ok in a few days. If it is not improved by then, might be worth a visit to a physio. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

thx - I don't think I broke anything - If I did I wouldn't be able to move my arm ... and I don't see any brusing ... I will go to the Pharmacy on my way back home ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Hungrycol is right, it could be that you cracked something.

You’d be amazed what you’re capable of doing even though you’ve got broken bones.

I was told sometimes you’re better off breaking a bone as then your bone has absorbed and dissipated all the energy of the fall and so there’s less overall damage.

The plus side of leaving an injury unchecked is that it never really heals. Then you can tell when it’s going to rain based on the pains in your bones and joints, like an old sea dog. And if you’re very lucky you’ll become double jointed.

The down side is that you’re constantly in pain since it’s always raining here.

Seriously though you need to get it checked. A doctor will hardly be able to do anything but give advice, but heed whatever advice he gives you.

yours,
    Bicycle "Bad-Shoulders" Gadabout

Just called the doc - and here are the options:

- Go to casualty and wait about 10 hours to get an xRay
    - Go to Private clinic - Pay 160 quid
    - Get a referal from my doc and wait a couple of weeks ...

Talking about leaving injuries untreated ...

I am going to the doctor tomorrow, we'll see what he says - I hope he says I am worrying too much and that's nothing.

I am very frustrated !!! Argh!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

In my humble opinion I think a physio will give better diagnosis than GP. More familiar with musculo-skeletal injuries. By the way if you broke a bone you would def know at this stage! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Your doc should be able to work out if there is any risk of a break that might need an x-ray. It's not necessarily as bad as a 10 hour wait, depending on where and what time of day you go - I have broken bones myself while cycling ;-( During the day on a weekday is the best time, night and weekend the worst.

What sy says is more than likely true, with my own arm I thought I was fine for maybe an hour or two but I can assure you the pain worked it's way up after that and stayed there for six weeks. But your doc will advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

It’s probably best to get it x-rayed.

In the mean time, have you tried the heat and ice thing? Basically, all you need is a hot water bottle and an ice pack. Works wonders.

Another thing I sometimes use in treatments is Clary Sage essential oil. It’s a fantastic pain reliever. Mix a few drops in sunflower (cooking) oil, and massage it in.
    DON’T USE IF PREGNANT OR IF YOU LIVE WITH SOMEONE WHO IS.

[FONT=&quot]Sorry for shouting, but that point is very important. :)
    [/FONT]

Thanks all - I'll stop by the pharmacy on the way back home and wil see the doc tomorrow, and teh Physio is just down the hall ... easy referral. What worries me is the cracking feeling I get when i move my arm ...

I was so proud of my 1st proper 'road crash', when I stood up again and said ' yeah, I am fine ' - I thought 'wow - I lived through this :pac:' hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Shoulder injuries are very tricky
    Theres a huge amount of muscles that rotate, flex the shoulder.

Is the pain deep or superficial? By that I mean does the pain feel close to the surface or deeper in your shoulder.

What type of pain, sharp and stabbing with movement, or dull and prolonged?

It sounds like you've bruised some super fiscal muscle, perhaps deltoid, trapiezius, or possibly erector spinae

Deeper damage would be to Teres Minor or Major, Infraspinatus, Romboids etc, which probably will require some treatment, electro therapy generally.

Bone damage is met with sharp pain with movement. If it feels like nothing is broken you may have "chipped" your clavicle, scapula, or at the origin of your humerous (where it connects to your shoulder "socket").

Like people are saying if you broke a bone you'd know by now as even the slightest movement would be agony.

In any case, a trip to a physio or doctor if in pain more than 24 hours would be highly recommended.

Hope your ok!

• Advertisement

Thanks Bob - :)
    Is the pain deep or superficial? By that I mean does the pain feel close to the surface or deeper in your shoulder.

Pain is superficial I think ... No 'deep' anyway and it also hurts when I touch the shoulder, not so much when I lean against my chair.
    What type of pain, sharp and stabbing with movement, or dull and prolonged?

And prolonged pain, hurts more when I move around, but no stabbing sort of pain ...

Internal brusing suits me :) I took monday off to do more cycling - I hope I am alright by then! other wise I guess I can start knitting old school boards winter jerseys ...

Thanks Bob - :)

Pain is superficial I think ... No 'deep' anyway and it also hurts when I touch the shoulder, not so much when I lean against my chair.

And prolonged pain, hurts more when I move around, but no stabbing sort of pain ...

Internal brusing suits me :) I took monday off to do more cycling - I hope I am alright by then! other wise I guess I can start knitting old school boards winter jerseys ...

Sounds like muscle or light bone bruising so. It'll heal up with time. Doesn't sound like a break or fracture to me. !

Hopefully its nothing to major.

Then again I've seen and worked on injuries that look mild at first diagnosis but are actually quite serious.

Physio will tell you in about 2 minutes of seeing you whats wrong!

Sounds like it was a hell of a fall!

Not to sound inconsiderate here but...hows your bike? :D

Not to sound inconsiderate here but...hows your bike? :D

... that was the 1st thing I checked ... It's fine ... I acted as a human airbag for the bike when I fell - so no major scratches - I love my bike ... I couldnt possible buy me a new one of these anytime soon :)

... that was the 1st thing I checked ... It's fine ... I acted as a human airbag for the bike when I fell - so no major scratches - I love my bike ... I couldnt possible buy me a new one of these anytime soon :)

I found that the most amusing thing I've seen, since I've started trail riding, my friends (who are much more experienced than me) completely wipe themselves out on a tree root or rock, and rip like all the skin off various body parts ( knees particularly) . First thing they ask, (worried look on face's)"did I do any damage to the bike???" Image2.gif
    Perhaps I have found "the one" yet... in bike terms.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 devineamydevine

Hi -

I was ok to cycle another hour after that. ...

Typical cycling nut :)

Are you still cycling or are you resting up at the moment?

Hope you get well soon

Typical cycling nut :)

Are you still cycling or are you resting up at the moment?

Hope you get well soon

Just studying for a exam resit ... might as well ,,, got some cream at the pharmacy - I am grand really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I crashed while training last tuesday in the park, my back wheel hit something and I lost control of th bike, hit a few traffic cones, and landed on by back.

Where?

robfitz wrote: »
    Where?

Just outside the Zoo where the new green cycling lane is. Did you see it? Did I fly high?

I am ok today - got some gel - still cracks but the pain is almost gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Glad to hear you're recovering. Nasty fall.

Speedy recovery and good luck with the exam.

Advertisement