Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kings Inns Entrance Exam 2008!

• 12-06-2008 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am currently preparing for the above exam.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me, as to how difficult exams will be etc. Also, does anyone have any hints/tips for the exams? Are there are any particular definite quesions from year to year?

Any help would be very much appreciated:)

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Never definite questions.

I did it last year.

Make sure you know Tort inside and out. Mr Paul Ward loads the questions with various types of tort and its like a game of spot the tort!

Criminal is interesting as it vacilates! Can be Sexual Crimes, can be property offences etc. Best to be up to speed on law. Know all relevant statute and know it properly, rote is often better than guessing e.g., NOAPA and Crim Damange, CL Insanity etc.

Evidence, know it all and know it inside out. 1 compulsory question (Q. 1) and three others from 5 topics, answer 4.

Contract is new, but I'd suggest the syllabus looks fair. Get McDermott and get cracking.

Constitutional is usually interesting, looks at mostly new developments in Constitutional law and proportionality, can also look at Evidence, as was the case last year.

Be under no illusions, five days in a row is tough on the body and the mind.

Best of luck with it.

Remember he who fails to plan, plans to fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mariamcregan

Thanks a million...that has been very helpful:)

How did you enjoy the BL course?? Do you think that seeing as this is the first year they are offering the 2 year part-time course aswell as the full-time course, it will make it easier to pass the exams? - More places??

Smashing course - recently I had the time to compare it with Blackhall - worlds apart in terms of 'surgery versus patient management!' ;)

The course is vocational and attendance is mandatory. I can highly recommend it, the social scene is also pretty good/hectic/fun .....:)

The exams will be standard for both intakes as far as I know. They aren't easy but dooable.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lordhawhaw

The pass rate is 95% amongst those who sit all papers. So as long as you are sitting in on friday you should be through.

last year 260 applied and had a desk number
    circa 240 turned up to first exam on monday
    from the exit poll conducted on friday circa 220 remained
    circa 218 offered, 10 deferred, a couple declined, very,very few failed 2 or more, and a few re-enlisted from prevous deferral.

200 + entered this year.ie so as long as you are in the top 220 you should get the nod.

if you passed the diploma then you are in betting terms a dead cert 95% certain to pass. If you did a 4 year degree you are less than dead cert 94% certain to pass.

In saying that make sure you know your stuff as not a single person managed a first class honors in the entrance exam last year, with only 29% getting seconds class the rest passed, 71% obtaining passes.

The main difficulty is getting out into the real world and asking the bank for 100k to get started!!

The non practiscing jobs are excellent and by the end of the year you will know 200 more people by their first name from the dinings and mock trials which are a great learning experience.

keep the head down and next year you will feel you have done very well and had an enjoyable year.

Its a great option and I would wish you the best of luck if you go through with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mariamcregan

Thanks for that all that info...it's encouraging anyway

Are there any definite topics which come up from year to year in any of the exams?? Areas of particular importance etc....

• Advertisement

Use the syllabus - know tort inside out.

Advertisement