Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music in College

Options
  • 12-06-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Just wondering if anyone wants to study music next year and what college's ye have applied to??:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I got accepted into Applied Music in DKIT. Ill probably take it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

Applied to UCC.Passed the entrance test,worried about the points though:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thewildone

i never heard of DKIT where is it?? And Cork is amazing. The school is unreal. I haven't applied to any of them! I really want Mater Dei but points are tough and i think they'll go up!! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

DKIT is in Dundalk. Really good music course, and with the new building opening the facilities will be class.

Good luck with Mater Dei, my friend got accepted there.

Thanks!!:) really? yeh the facilities wouldn't half of what you will have but i really like the college!! Have any of ye Maynooth down??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm going to do Music Technology in LIT!

Jesus,i would never have thought of DKIT!Didnt see that at all.
    Yeah,i have a cousin who got mater dei last year!:)
    Yeah i have maynooth down too!

yeh me neither. But it's so far away from me:confused:
    really? i hope i get it. Maynooth will do i suppose but it's a weird college. I heard the rumour about it being a gay college but jesus when i saw the people there?! not brandin them all but most of them lol

yeah?did you get into maynooth?
    yeah i know,jeeeeeeeeesus,there were some absolute weirdos there,im going to be honest here,the queue for the room that was interviewed in hadnt got one normal lookin person,and wehn they started talking to each other,it just got worse,they were going on about writing flipin operas in italian for pokemon.The look on my face must have been pricless!>>like this:eek: except with more stifled laughter.

anie_bawny wrote: »
    yeah?did you get into maynooth?
    yeah i know,jeeeeeeeeesus,there were some absolute weirdos there,im going to be honest here,the queue for the room that was interviewed in hadnt got one normal lookin person,and wehn they started talking to each other,it just got worse,they were going on about writing flipin operas in italian for pokemon.The look on my face must have been pricless!>>like this:eek: except with more stifled laughter.

hahahaha!! well i had a cute guy outside mine lol i was there at 2.. i wonder did i see u? lol but no i didn't get the BMuz but i was told that i more than likely will cus ur put on a waitin list and most people have it as a fall back so loads reject it! so if all goes terribly wrong hopefully i'll be asked lol did u??
    yeh even the people walkin round the college...the guys looked like girls and the girls looked like guys!!! an opera for pokemon?! i think i might change my cao lol

• Advertisement

Yeah,the waiting list!same thing!!imnot too worried about it though,it was just something to fall back on if i didnt get the points for cork:)
    ah my interview was at about 12 as far as i can remember,im not too sure!
    heh heh yeah jesus i know,by the time i got into the interview,i didnt want to go to maynooth anymore,i almost asked did those wierdos before me get in before i sit an interview!

haha!!! did u have the women with the glasses?? she was horrible :( the guy seemed nice but he didn't say a word. i didnt wanna go out i spoke to them! lol there was a women with a huge twitch in on front of me!! she was real old too!!! lol hey r u on bebo?? i'm obsessed:confused: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EI787

I got accepted into Maynooth but still have to decide if that's what I want to do....my number 1 at the mo is International Relations in DCU so it's between the two....decisions decisions!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MrsSDelonge

I got accepted into Maynooth! But I'm not sure if I actually want to do music anymore:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MrsSDelonge

EI787 wrote: »
    I got accepted into Maynooth but still have to decide if that's what I want to do....my number 1 at the mo is International Relations in DCU so it's between the two....decisions decisions!!!!:)

woah! I'm trying to decide between maynooth music and international development n UCC:rolleyes: simliar stuation:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

I totally screwed up the interview for maynooth but got accepted into ballyfermot for music tech cos its pretty much what i'm interested in....i'd prob get bored of doing plain music halfway through!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Got accepted to music and arts in UCC, points are a bit high though. All i want to do is music so pretty happy. :)

Didn't even bother applying to the school of music, great facilities but dunno if i could cope with their attitude for about four years. Urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

So happy to see a thread about music in college!
    I got accepted to music education in trinity and music in cork school of music. Going to cork! can't wait! :D anyone else comin with me??

Léan wrote: »
    Didn't even bother applying to the school of music, great facilities but dunno if i could cope with their attitude for about four years. Urgh.

what sorta attitude do you mean? I found them all lovely at the entrance exam day.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

22diamonds wrote: »
    what sorta attitude do you mean? I found them all lovely at the entrance exam day.

Not all of them obviously :eek:. Just the elitest attitude there is about the school of music sometimes really bugs me. That's and they only focus on classical music. I dunno, just the way i feel about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Got accepted into Applied Music in Dundalk too but its an hours drive each way so would be way too tiring :rolleyes:

Léan wrote: »
    Not all of them obviously :eek:. Just the elitest attitude there is about the school of music sometimes really bugs me. That's and they only focus on classical music. I dunno, just the way i feel about it :D

oh right ya fair enough! Just wanted to know what i was getting myself into!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Got UCC , UL (music and dance!! unreal, probably go there!!! :D) and WIT, i applied all over the gaff...:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

22diamonds wrote: »
    So happy to see a thread about music in college!
    I got accepted to music education in trinity and music in cork school of music. Going to cork! can't wait! :D anyone else comin with me??

Didnt apply!!! :( Sickened with myself now but I really wanna do italian and irish with the arts degree in cork... but then I love the UL course!!! :( anyone else going to Limerick??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

My brother's hoping to do music in trinity, he's going into 6th year this year. He does music in secondary school. Anyone got any advice info about trinity? How high a standard is it?

My brother's hoping to do music in trinity, he's going into 6th year this year. He does music in secondary school. Anyone got any advice info about trinity? How high a standard is it?

The plain music course in trinity is over 500 points but I'm telling you it's all music theory and history and that's it. It's only 8 hours a week (I was told by a second year in music in trinity) and it's a "doss". The only music job you can get out of it is a musicologist. (?)

I'm going for music education in trinity. Similar degree except there's practical (training on your instrument) included and you come out a qualified music teacher as well as having the basic music degree. You also learn educational psychology but you dont have to be a teacher after it if you dont want to! It's busier but much more worthwhile if you're looking for a serious degree.

PM me if you wanna know more.. I spent AGES at the trinity open day talkin to all these music people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Do yourself a massive favour and avoid Trinity College Music Dept. It's a complete joke!!

The notes given are so poor, the organization is rubbish and there is a massive lack of tutorials.

Last year they lost 2 of my assessments.

I could go on and on how bad a dept. it is.

Go to UCD music-much better

thewildone wrote: »
    haha!!! did u have the women with the glasses?? she was horrible :( the guy seemed nice but he didn't say a word. i didnt wanna go out i spoke to them! lol there was a women with a huge twitch in on front of me!! she was real old too!!! lol hey r u on bebo?? i'm obsessed:confused: lol

yeah!!!ah no i thought she was alright,they didnt really ask much,the first thing they asked me was what time i had gotten up at that morning!heh heh jeeeesus,i must have said the wrong time or something because i wasnt offerd a place.:p
    PM ya my bebo!

Advertisement