Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English and new media

Options
  • 12-06-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Has anybody here attended or currently attending the undergrad english and new media course?

If so i would appriciate any opinions on it....(is it worth doing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm doing Irish and Media which is the same course only with Irish, obviously. I love the Irish half of it but that's no relevance to you.

As for the media, well it's a bit hit and miss. You do two media modules a semester and one of them never seems to be related to media. It drives me mad. If you want to study media because you want to be a journalist than the media is not relevant. I really want to get into journalism when I finish college and anything I've learned that is directly helpful to this career I learned from writing for the college paper, An Focal.

It is a fun course do and not exactly *hard* once you keep up with the work but it's frustrating when you're wondering if you're ever going to do anything that will help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mimibear

I recently graduated from this course, the only real media I experienced from it was the sociology lectures which you only have in first year. It is still a relatively new course (think it was only in its second or third year when I started it) and the original course director basically ignored it. Unless you go onto further study you really can't expect to get a media related job from it...that's my opinion anyway...most of my course were completly disillusioned by it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Not doing this course myself but my brothers is and he only has classes for around 9 hours a week. I know that isnt the kind of info you want but seriously, only 9 or 10 hours a week! thats savage, i do that in a day in school with supervised study.
    anyway haven't heard any regrets out of him about doing the course, he seems to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Been in the course..........twice actually. Started it last year but dropped out cause there is ZERO hands on practical media, and i mean ZERO. If your thinking adobe photoshop, dreamweaver graphic design and all that forget it, itl be a waste of your time.

HOWEVER i came back to the same course this year cause i wanted to do english and with the backround in cultural studies and sociology of media its perfect if you want to be a journalist IMO. Especially if you dont have the points to do journalisim. Overall with lectures tutorials etc i have 14 hours. It honestly is a good course just dont be fooled, they should really call this course English and Sociology of media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 procstar

Patricide wrote: »
    Been in the course..........twice actually. Started it last year but dropped out cause there is ZERO hands on practical media, and i mean ZERO. If your thinking adobe photoshop, dreamweaver graphic design and all that forget it, itl be a waste of your time.

iirc there is quite a bit of photoshop/framemaker used in the second year, along with dreamweaver in the third year with creating the website, Adobe captivate. then in 4th year, more dreamweaver and flash with the e-learning projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I stand corrected, but as far as the year head told me there trying to phase out the practical media in the stremlining of the course. At least thats what i was told last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

OP - be sure to check out the Liberal Arts Course in Mary I. It has both an English and Media options and the media is much more practical over on this side of the city.

Advertisement