Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Graphics - Time Management

Options
  • 12-06-2008 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Let's cover every little aspect here . . . I'm basically clueless on the timing aspect.

So do we get specially commisioned sheets or the ones we use all year? I don't think we can write on the back & front of any one sheet.

How are you going to be sheet-changing - sheets on top of eachother? How will that work without tearing?

Tape (if so, type) or table-clips? Sliding set-squares or Adjustable?

The questions . . . Q1 seems to be the longest - but easy to get right with the exception of (B).
    Q2 seems to be the shortest, and easy with a bit of revision. Q3, 5 & 6 are my other options and all are doable in half an hour.

So your plans, then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Hey dude,
    I think its around 40 mins per question, maybe a small bit less.
    Some questions might take a bit longer (interpenetration/perspective) but others are shorted (mining/space analysis) so hopefully time should be okay.

With reguards to tape. I just use standard Masking Tape that any painter would use, you can get it anywhere and its cheap and does the job.

Some of the guys in my class put all the sheets on top of each other but i never do and i dont think i will 2moro ider, It doesnt really take very long to tape on another sheet really, and i cut the masking tape up into little pieces before the exam and have them all stuck down the table leg to save extra time!

Im just worried about the questions that come up, say something like paper 2 perspective i can do 2006 paper no problem but the 2007 i find very hard and would do awful, this can also be the case with oblique planes when sometimes i struggle to even set it out properly when i can do the rest of the drawing, such a putter down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Masking tape is the shizzle - whatever you do, stay away from sellotape.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Masking tape is the shizzle - whatever you do, stay away from sellotape.

Yea its a disaster, pulls the page away with it, impossible to get off the table in a hurry, harder to rip, harder to see. Prob more expensive aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bug!!!

im screwed if a bad question comes up s only did 4 quetions on each paper.
    im bad at solids in contact any tips please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

Q1 is grand, pretty much the same every year, so I'll get that out of the way first.
    A nice Q6 (conics) can be really quick, so I'll give that a read certainly, I usually end up going for that.
    Loci (Q5) is the shortest and easiest question on the paper for me (I never learned Q2) so I always do that.
    Then depending on how they look, I go for either solids in contact (Q3), which can be difficult if they throw in a locus; or oblique plane (Q7) which is difficult when they do the whole "point A is raised to 20mm, point B to 35mm, draw the new elevation and plan". I avoid the interpenetration (Q4) if at all possible.

In the mocks, by some miracle I had time to do five questions on each paper; it'd be nice if that came up again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

We have three hours = 45 mins per question.

I never did Q2 in class at all - pity as it seems to be easy if you can get it. Ill be doing Q3,5 defo and then two out of Q1,6,7. Hopefully hyperbola doesn't come up!!! Although it hasnt 07, 06 so probably will.

starkinter wrote: »
    Q1 is grand, pretty much the same every year, so I'll get that out of the way first.
    A nice Q6 (conics) can be really quick, so I'll give that a read certainly, I usually end up going for that.
    Loci (Q5) is the shortest and easiest question on the paper for me (I never learned Q2) so I always do that.
    Then depending on how they look, I go for either solids in contact (Q3), which can be difficult if they throw in a locus; or oblique plane (Q7) which is difficult when they do the whole "point A is raised to 20mm, point B to 35mm, draw the new elevation and plan". I avoid the interpenetration (Q4) if at all possible.

Hmm exactly the same question choice as me. Exactly. Are you sure we arent the same person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Milky Joe

turgon wrote: »
    Hmm exactly the same question choice as me. Exactly. Are you sure we arent the same person?
    iam also doing same! yeah never really did Q2 either
    Q4 i would def stay away from though i tried in the pre like a dope! bad idea:(

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

question 4 is always the same method, no suprises, just drawing lines and getting marks, takes a while but it aint complicated like some conic ones

Hopefully hyperbola doesn't come up!!! Although it hasnt 07, 06 so probably will.
    Generally when hyperbolas are asked, they're based on the really fundamental properties, not the more obscure ones they can throw at you in the parabola and ellipse. Difference in focal distances = transverse axis, or basic eccentricity usually.
    Great minds, and all that...

• Advertisement

Decerto wrote: »
    question 4 is always the same method, no suprises, just drawing lines and getting marks, takes a while but it aint complicated like some conic ones
    its pretty easy i agree but it takes so long! for me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

When layering your sheets on the desk at the start, how many do you put down? 6?

And do you tape each one individually or only the final one to keep everything down?

I usually put down four.

Another dilemma: my exam hall doesnt open til like 5 minutes before. Its a balls as it will take time away from setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

What T Drawing Books did you use?

What T Drawing Books did you use?

I'm using "Technical Draughtsmanship" by Éanna Ó Broinn. It's not good. Has a huge section on working as a graphic designer, but leaves out entire questions. I don't know what the story with it is, maybe it's not even a leaving cert textbook.

I depend mostly on photocopied notes from my teacher, and memory.

well the book our teacher told us to was pretty useless (technical draughtsmanship by o broin) so he just gave us photocopied sheets since 4th year! i finally got plane and solid geometry by brendan hogg about 6 months ago still it was basically for paper 1 so we got more piles of loose sheets for p2!(breathe:))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I got that Book(Technical Draughtmanship) but is it good for revising any topics

i know its good for the seam joints but i cant see any other use for it and i really want to revise conics

Q1 Q2 Q5 are fine near full mark questions but then i have Q3Q4 and Q6

i got the basic gist of Q3
    I can do Q4 but it takes so long (55-65mins) and Q6 which i like but i cant remember how to do all the ways because i was sick for 2 months this year

Any help would be very useful

thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Would love some help on Q3.

Im doing 1,3,5 and one other.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

My advice to everyone is to start off with the question you can do quickest. Generally the question you're best at. Then the next quickest, and so on. This is great for relieving time pressure, and for me personally; pressure is what makes me start messin up.
    Bug!!! wrote: »
    im bad at solids in contact any tips please

I'd advise you to get to grips with doing loci in questions. Look over solutions for past questions and you should get a few ideas. Know your planes too: tangent plane, oblique won't come up; and then there's one where they give you the specific angle for the plane. The method is always the same, and it comes up a good bit. Again check solutions.
    Would love some help on Q3.

What's your main prob here? I'd advise labelling anyway. Very important as you usually end up with loads of guide lines. In the end to, ye basically just end up joining the dots if you've labelled well.

And always remember the golden rule:
    if in doubt, put in a cone.

• Advertisement

Aright starkinter, your starting to freak me out: I say the exact same thing.
    Anywhoo your right about hyperbola. Did the two past papers and all they askes are tangents, asymptotes and the h1p - h2p = v1v2. So hopefully the other part will be fine.

Hoping to do a lot of study tomorrow in between my other exams (2x German) cas only doing ordinary level german. I just hope it goes well, could go either way with me.

Milky Joe wrote: »
    well the book our teacher told us to was pretty useless (technical draughtsmanship by o broin) so he just gave us photocopied sheets since 4th year! i finally got plane and solid geometry by brendan hogg about 6 months ago still it was basically for paper 1 so we got more piles of loose sheets for p2!(breathe:))

Continuing on from the freaky coincidences with starkinter, this is exactly what I did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

Questions 1,3,5 - 4, or 6 depending i dnt know how to do centre of curvature???

There not bad topics but i can see them throwing out nasty questions for the last year of the course :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

exactly 45 mins a question!

I was fairly stuck for time in the pre but I did two papers today (2006 and 2005)

I finished both of them an hour early........ This happen to anyone??

I'm kinda worried because I shouldn't be finished so early :P

I did Q1, 3, 6,7

I'm screwed if they throw in the point A 57 mm abouve ground etc.. for oblique plane!
    I can do interpenetration if i'm stuck.

And seriously If you don't know what to do throw a cone in somewhere!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I cant understand how so few of ye are actually doing q2.We had a bit of time free a few months ago and my teacher got it done in a couple of classes.I couldnt believe it was so easy.Its basically just theorems form honours JUNIORCERT maths.Honestly, its my best question.I cant see why so few teachers do it

I finished both of them an hour early........ This happen to anyone??
    Would you not just do another question if you had that much time? Unless you did five questions in two hours...
    I'm screwed if they throw in the point A 57 mm abouve ground etc.. for oblique plane!
    I think the whole country's screwed if they throw that in. Another case where we just have to say "last year of the course, they won't do anything mean"

Question 3 part b http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2007/LC028ALPO00EV.pdf

any body able to help me with the locus, i seem to have forgotten the technique, disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

starkinter wrote: »
    Would you not just do another question if you had that much time? Unless you did five questions in two hours...

I think the whole country's screwed if they throw that in. Another case where we just have to say "last year of the course, they won't do anything mean"

yeah i will do the interpenetration q if that happens tomorrow but I was shocked that I had an hour left!! I didnt think it was possible:pac:

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I cant understand how so few of ye are actually doing q2.We had a bit of time free a few months ago and my teacher got it done in a couple of classes.I couldnt believe it was so easy.Its basically just theorems form honours JUNIORCERT maths.Honestly, its my best question.I cant see why so few teachers do it

Probably because exactly that: its just so maths based and most tg teachers might not be comfortable with it. Only a guess though. There getting rid of it for the new course.

• Advertisement

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Question 3 part b http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2007/LC028ALPO00EV.pdf

any body able to help me with the locus, i seem to have forgotten the technique, disaster!

Bump

Advertisement