Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matches clashing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

shane86 wrote: »
    From Sunday to Wednesday all matches are being played at the exact same time every evening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/schedule_and_statistics/day_by_day/default.stm

Wtf like? Why the hell are they doing this?

And how can RTE manage to show both games, have it on both channels?

ffs, it's the last games in the groups.

this happens in EVERY tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

From Sunday to Wednesday all matches are being played at the exact same time every evening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/schedule_and_statistics/day_by_day/default.stm

Wtf like? Why the hell are they doing this?

And how can RTE manage to show both games, have it on both channels?

Thay have to play at the same time.
    that way no one result can influence the other in relation to the game, Ie 2 teams play for a draw based on the fact they already know the result of the first game and know that 1 point means they both qualify.

RTE could show 2 games on RTE 1 and 2, but never would.
    BBC could use their digital service to show the 2 games simultenously and you chose the game of choice.
    Most likely RTE will pick the most interesting game results wise and will show highlights of the other game as they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Far more dramatic this way I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's to stop a situation like 2002 where it's well known that the Scandinavian countries conspired to draw so that they would both get through and Italy would get shammed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

simple solution. get a DVR to record one and watch the other. happy days for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

RTE should show both matches split screen! :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's to stop a situation like 2002 where it's well known that the Scandinavian countries conspired to draw so that they would both get through and Italy would get shammed

those 2 games were played simultaneously too iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

^Yup, its always been like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's always been this way. For the dramatic value and what not.

Besides take Group A. You can watch the Czechs and Turks battle it out possibly to penos, or watch Portugal (already topped group/resting players) play a deflated Switzerland (gonners).

Who wants to watch the latter?

Group B could end up the same way after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Absolutely scaaaaaarrrrrlet for ya Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

dsmythy wrote: »

Besides take Group A. You can watch the Czechs and Turks battle it out possibly to penos, or watch Portugal (already topped group/resting players) play a deflated Switzerland (gonners).

Who wants to watch the latter?.

me!!...........what? :p

me!!...........what? :p

Sorry man. Majority rules ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BBC have both games online and also one is on BBC One and the other on BBC Three

ITV will have on game on ITV 1 and the other on ITV 4

Its always been like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

RTE should show both matches split screen! :D :pac:

With different commentators fore both trying to shout over each other just to make it extra confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Apres match could present one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

BBC have both games online and also one is on BBC One and the other on BBC Three

ITV will have on game on ITV 1 and the other on ITV 4

Its always been like this

Not always they changed it due to incidents like in the 1978 world cup
    Group B was essentially a battle between Argentina and Brazil, and it was resolved in controversial circumstances. In the first round of group games, Brazil beat Peru 3-0 while Argentina saw off Poland 2-0. Brazil and Argentina then played out a tense and violent goalless draw, so both teams went into the last round of matches with three points. Brazil beat Poland 3-1 in their final match and Argentina's game with Peru kicked off soon after with the hosts knowing they had to beat Peru by four clear goals to go through to the final. Argentina managed it with what some saw as a suspicious degree of ease. Trailing 2-0 at half-time, Peru simply collapsed in the second half, and Argentina eventually won 6-0. Brazil spread dark rumours suggesting that Peru might have been somehow illicitly induced not to try too hard (especially because the Peruvian goalkeeper, Ramón Quiroga, was born in Argentina); but nothing could be proved, and Argentina met the Netherlands in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

You know whats really annoying? The fact they are playing all the games in these two countries miles away....."european" championships my ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well as far as i am aware it been like that i was born after the 1978 world cup:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

gucci wrote: »
    You know whats really annoying? The fact they are playing all the games in these two countries miles away....."european" championships my ass

Eh?:confused: Austria and Switzerland are both in Eurpoe if im not mistaken.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Besides take Group A. You can watch the Czechs and Turks battle it out possibly to penos, .

Penos in the group stages you say?

DesF wrote: »

They should definately do that for a game somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Think it was after the 82 WC actually when Geramany and Austria when a 1 goal German win would have meant both went through at Algeria's expense. Geramns scored early and the ball hardly left the centre circle after that. This was the last gaem in that group so it wasnt introduced cos of anything tha happened in 78.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Penos in the group stages you say?

If they draw they will have to sort it out by penalties. It was announced on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Think it was after the 82 WC actually when Geramany and Austria when a 1 goal German win would have meant both went through at Algeria's expense. Geramns scored early and the ball hardly left the centre circle after that. This was the last gaem in that group so it wasnt introduced cos of anything tha happened in 78.

That was the reason for it alright, since then last games have been played at the same time, so they rule is in for a mere 26 years Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'd imagine RTÉ would see sense and show the 2nd game on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Am I the only one who thinks match clashing is brilliant? I love the fact that you get a choice of what match to watch. I remember back in 2002 I even drew up a schedule for myself so I could determine what matches I'd be viewing (yes very geeky but I was so excited about that tournament!)

I've been waiting eagerly for the good oul' match clash. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nope it hasn't always been this way and it's not for 'dramatic effect'. It was instigated in 1982 to eliminate the possibilty of match rigging situations where one team could know prior to the kick-off of their final group game what result they needed in advance in order to progress (eg Argentina vs Peru 1978 and esp Wgermany vs Austria 1982 which was considered the final straw in this matter).

This thread = fail. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

ya alot of guys on here are showing their age with this one. this clearly has NOT ALWAYS been like this. it has nothing to do with dramatic effect!! silly sugestion really. its to do with match rigging. for example if one match is played and then the second game merely requires a draw for both of those teams to go through!!! how often do you think a draw will be the result??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Absolutely scaaaaaarrrrrlet for ya Shane!

Unfortunately in 2006 I was working 1 until 9pm all summer (worst summer of my life, Id rather be on the dole than work a shift like that again during good weather and football), so the timing of weekday WC matches mattered fcuk all for me. Hence why I dont remember :( (though I do remember answering call after call from English customers one evening thinking "your country is playing a WC match right now, why the **** are you on the phone to me?!!?" )

2004....I left school that summer. On the beer Thursday to Sunday for 10 weeks straight, bar Beckham attempting to fire a peno shot into the face of the moon the mind is blank :)

Ah well.....still a load of bollix imo but anyway. Anyone know if it has conveniently worked out that RTE will show Match A and the Brits will show match B, or are there a few we will miss?

• Advertisement

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses....
    That may be so young Grasshopper, but your question could've been answered with a simple Google search and an ickle bit of common sense. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not only did you get the year wrong, and the fact both matches were played at same time anyway, you seem to of forgot that Denmark and Sweden played out an entertaining 2-2 draw which ended in a late equaliser. Yeah obviously rigged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He did get the year wrong but the point remains. It was a fix, perhaps not obviously, but both teams were happy with a draw, and at the back of their minds were taking it easy. Didn't the Danes score in the last minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sweden got a late equaliser, a scramble in the box.

It wasn't a fix, Italy were just inferior than both team over 3 games. Simple as that

Are people only saying this cause of Trap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd imagine RTÉ would see sense and show the 2nd game on their website.

It'll depend on the terms they agreed when buying the rights. BBC and ITV both undertook to show every game on TV, and certain games had to be shown on their main channel - it meant they couldn't shunt games to their website, their satellite channels or, in some cases, even BBC2!

Needless to say, this was all agreed before England had failed to qualify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sweden got a late equaliser, a scramble in the box.

It wasn't a fix, Italy were just inferior than both team over 3 games. Simple as that

Are people only saying this cause of Trap?

They made Antonio cry, and Il Trap upset...of course its the reason!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Eh?:confused: Austria and Switzerland are both in Eurpoe if im not mistaken.:rolleyes:

Sure Austria is in the Southern Hemisphere!! Down beside new zeland, and everyone knows Switzerland's isn't even a country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesF

They should definately do that for a game somewhere along the line.

They do for the 3rd place play off

tomred1 wrote: »
    They do for the 3rd place play off
    I don't think they have a 3rd place play off for the Euros

Advertisement