Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Digital ESB meter

Options
  • 12-06-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I moved in to a new house this week and ESB Networks have installed a fancy new solid-state low-profile meter with digital readout and a button which seems to toggle different values on the display.

I was just wondering does anyone know about these meters or have one? Are these the new smart-meters which can provide usage data to the supply company? Maybe they potentially charge different tariffs depending on time of day that power is consumed?

It also seems to have some sort of optical communication port which I would guess is for reading it electronically / remotely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Any chance you could stick up a photo or two?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This is a digital meter, not a 'Smart' meter. It works the same way as the old meters, just a new design. These work for single and 3 phase supplies and single and double tariff with the convenience of one type meter.

The button referred to is for scrolling between screens for different display values. The optical port is communicating with the meter, has various functions reading, calibration. Not for reading remotely, a modem would be required which would just be in commercial premises.

Advertisement