Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual Ubuntu

• 12-06-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I've just got Ubuntu 8.04 up and running with Virtualbox with Windows Vista host.

Now I'm pretty clueless as I've never used Ubuntu really. I don't know how to get my wireless card working. Its a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN card. I have my driver disc that I got with my laptop but I don't know how to access it from my virtual Ubuntu.

Also, I can't get Ubuntu to work in fullscreen.

Anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You can forget about your wireless card. If you open a terminal and execute iwconfig, you won't see any wireless devices. In the virtual machine, all Internet traffic should be routed through the connection in use on the host machine (Windows). If you look in the bottom right of the VM window, you usually see a network symbol. Make sure networking in the VM is enabled (you can pick NAT here).

How are you trying to get it in fullscreen? There should be an option under the View menu. Or is it giving an error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah thats enabled it says Adapater0 :confused: Should I find the drivers for the card or something?

No error for the fullscreen just when I click fullscreen the virtual machines window is centered and surrounded by a black border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You don't need to worry about any drivers in the virtual machine. It will just work if your network works on the host. The OS in the VM (the guest) isn't really interacting with your hardware directly. The VM takes the instructions made by the OS and intercepts, somehow making it look as if the instructions came from the host. That's why VM performance isn't always wonderful.

The devices installed under your VM are designed to work without drivers with your OS. That's why you're asked what OS you're installing when you create a new virtual machine in VM software.

Regarding the full screen, if you want it to fill your screen, you need to have the resolution of your Ubuntu install be the same as your Windows install, e.g. 1280x1024 in both OSes. However, this will mean having to scroll when using the VM if *not* in fullscreen mode. This sounds a bit complicated but try it and you'll see what I mean.

Advertisement