Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Strategy game?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 4:27pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyones opinion on their favourite strategy game? please dont post a strategy game thats on a console, everyone knows that 98% of them suck(the other 2% goes to advance wars :P)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

In no particular order

X-COM Enemy Unknown

Civ 1-2-3

Medieval Total War (the first one)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Civ 4: BTS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How come the thread title says "Best Strategy Game" but your post says "Favourite Strategy Game"? They're not necessarily the same thing. My favourite strategy game is probably Warcraft III since it's one of the few games in that genre I play on a regular basis. I also have a soft spot for Battle for Wesnoth.

As for best strategy game, that's probably one of the Total War games. I could never get into them though so they are far from my favourites :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Command and Conquer, Warcraft III and Dune 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just wondering what everyones opinion on their favourite strategy game? please dont post a strategy game thats on a console, everyone knows that 98% of them suck(the other 2% goes to advance wars :P)

I guess thats hlaf of the recent RTSs out, since they've had console releases. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

mcgovern wrote: »
    I guess thats hlaf of the recent RTSs out, since they've had console releases. :rolleyes:

I dunno playing an RTS with a control pad is just not right

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

malice_ wrote: »
    How come the thread title says "Best Strategy Game" but your post says "Favourite Strategy Game"? They're not necessarily the same thing. My favourite strategy game is probably Warcraft III since it's one of the few games in that genre I play on a regular basis. I also have a soft spot for Battle for Wesnoth.

As for best strategy game, that's probably one of the Total War games. I could never get into them though so they are far from my favourites :).

Seems an odd way to put it. For me, the best is my favorite, not everybody else's.

The new Total War game due out at the end of the year could well be both favorite and best though, from the looks of things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Maximilian wrote: »
    Seems an odd way to put it. For me, the best is my favorite, not everybody else's.

The new Total War game due out at the end of the year could well be both favorite and best though, from the looks of things ;)
    Well, I don't think it's odd at all but I'm not going to argue over semantics :). I doubt my seriously under-powered PC will be capable of running the new Total War game but I can look at the pretty screenshots or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How come no one ever wants to argue over semantics? I want to argue over semantics god damn it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

An argument in favour of the semantics of the op's post and title::D

Best being the superlative of good must in this case be taken as a subjective property. If it had been a statement about best preformence, compatibality regards, older hardware, or some other measureabble quality it could be objective.

Seeing as it is a subjective look at the "goodness" of the game it is likely that soneone would like the game they thought to be the most good more than any other game, thus it would be their favourite. In this case because of the vaguesness of the original statement, this caused a subjective question, and because of this "best" and "favourite" can be effectively synonomus.

there ya go kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I've never really played many strategy games but did really enjoy Rome Total War

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

company of mother ****ing heros :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Only really played two - the original Sim City and Railroad Tycoon 1.
    Spent hours and hours on both... and just never liked the sequels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

C&C Red Alert 95, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and Civilization II.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kiith wrote: »
    How come no one ever wants to argue over semantics? I want to argue over semantics god damn it!!

ok I will.

One could debate that as a genre strategy does not exist as it it can be found in far too numerous other genres (from football manager to tactical first person shooters)

But if you were to select the genres where strategy was the primacy of the game's appeal you would find it would still require a further subdivide

as there are

Real Time Strategy (Dune 2)

Turn Based Strategy (Civilization)

Hybrid real time/turn based stategy (Total War)

Competitive Real Time Strategy (Starcraft, Command & Conquer 3)

Real Time Tactical (Company of heroes, World in Conflict)

Role playing strategy game (Warcraft 3, Kingdom under Fire)

One could also debate due to how more so then any other genre setting has a far greater effect on how a strategy game plays you might need to further subdivide down by setting

fantasy (warcraft)

science fiction (Command & Conquer)

reality (Act of War)

progressive (ala Civilization)

To decide the best you would probably have to decide which one has the best interface model,

worker unit vs construction yard

era's vs tech buildings

so on and so on.

Is that enough for you :D

btw: http://www.gamereplays.org/portals.php?show=page&name=the_history_of_real_time_strategy_pt1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

carrier command (atari ST)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Red Alert 2 :cool:

Keith C wrote: »
    carrier command (atari ST)

fond memories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Starcraft.

That is the *only* answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

warcraft III - or Command and Conquer: Generals - both exceptional especially on LAN.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i may have been quick to judge the consoles, civilization revolutions is a job well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

age of empires2 and empire earth

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

supreme commander deserves a mention too.

Advertisement