Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional to Full

Options
  • 12-06-2008 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

I have a provisional license at the moment and want to know what the process is to get a full one.

I know my test will be after June as I haven't applied for it yet, will I have to stay off the road after June until I pass the test?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 askmysack

keen wrote: »
    I have a provisional license at the moment and want to know what the process is to get a full one.

I know my test will be after June as I haven't applied for it yet, will I have to stay off the road after June until I pass the test?

I heard they are clamping down on Learners. Stuff like not having ur L plates up and stuff. I duno what the penalty will be as you cant put penalty ponts on a provisional can you?
    I wouldnt completely stay off the road but I wouldnt be hitting Motorways on a daily basis, or pedestrians either

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The process for getting a full lcense is passing your test, and going to the motor tax office and putting in an application.
    Apply for your test now and you could have your test in around 8 weeks. Yes you will have to stay off the road, driving unaccompanied could result in a €1000 fine and a disqualification, no L plates will result in an additional €1000 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

The provisional I have is coming to an end shortly, should I apply for a learner permit before applying for a test?

The provisional I have is coming to an end shortly, should I apply for a learner permit before applying for a test?

Yes, why not? I wouldn't want the worry of realising i have an expired provisional a couple of days before the test.

Thought you coulld only sit a test six months from the date the permit was issued, didn't realise if you had a provisional it didn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i think that only applies if its ur first provisional/learner permit and dont believe what somone said above bout not gettin points if ya have a provisional

Thought you coulld only sit a test six months from the date the permit was issued, didn't realise if you had a provisional it didn't apply.

This only applies to first learner permits, not provisional licenses. So if you have an old style provisional you could, in theory sit the test a day after receiving your first provisional

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement