Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Dying?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

My 1900xt has been acting funny lately.

Whenever I play relatively new games such as Crysis, Team Fortress 2, Oblivion, Bioshock and a few more, it doesn't take long before artefacts start appearing on screen.

The artefacts themselves though are quite strange. Gradually, lines start appearing all over the place. They start eminating from the guns you hold and from random parts of the landscape. Eventually the lines become wider and more numerous and can sometimes block portions of maps from view. The game then becomes pretty much unplayable.

It's hard to explain; the wider lines usually just consist of a certain texture spread across a certain space.

The funny thing is that it only happens in newer games.

For example, it happens in Episode 2, but not the original Half Life 2 or in Counterstrike Source.

The only possible conclusion I can reach is that there's some feature of the card being used in the newer games that is broken in some way.

The card's drivers are up to date.

The temps also seem fine most of the time.

Is it dying?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Go back to the last driver that did work.

Other than that, take the card out and remove any dust from the fans and test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

/bangs head on table

I have X1900XT and have started seeing the same things .........fearing it was on its way out , I just updated the ATI drivers in the hope it would fix the problems 2 days and no signs , But it might be 2 soo. You are the third X1900xt owner I know in the last while to start seeing these problems. Apparently quite common as they are an overclocked Card to start with.

Also I did remove the card and Used a cleaner from work to remove all dust and stuff from the card.

I hope to god its not on the way out , cant afford a replacement for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

sounds like its over heating. add extra fans , the weather is getting hotter here , it could be the problem, i went through the same thing a week ago, now fixed with extra fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

run on them minimum specs anyway and see if it doesnt improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Well, I've tried drivers as far back as December last year and all seem to have the same problem.

The problem lessens somewhat when I lower the specs a bit, so it could very well be overheating that's only started taking its toll recently (the card has sometimes reached the high 70s in centigrade and the problem seems to occur when it hits the 60s now).

I'll take the card out and clean it anyway...

• Advertisement
Advertisement