Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday in Bantry & Clonakilty

Options
  • 12-06-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi all,

I will go this saturday to these two towns and I would like to be recommended a good place for lunch in any of them (most probable is that we stayed for lunch in Bantry, but just in case I am also interested in Clonakilty)

And, does anyone know a pub where they will be showing the euro2008 in Clonakilty on Saturday? Spain will be playing and we would like to see the match :o

any suggestions about places to see in one day in these two towns will be welcome!!

thanks a lot in advance!
    Nat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

O' Connors in the square in Bantry is probably the best restaurant in town. They specalise in seafood if that's your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nateireann

Thanks Jimbo, I will take a look to that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

You'll have way more choice in Clonakilty than Bantry. If you like Seafood I'd recommend the Sugán, great place. If you're looking for soup and sandwiches there are a couple of cafes on the main street. My advice is take a stroll along the main street and have a look at a couple of menus, there is plenty of choice from seafood to Italian to the usual pub grub.

Most pubs will be showing the euro 2008 games, I like watching games in the Courthouse pub, it's near the Eurospar in the centre of town, you'll prob find it hard to find if you've never been there before, but just ask any young person on the street and they'll show you.

I'd recommend going out to Inchydoney if you have time, it's only a 5 minute drive from Clonakilty, great place for a walk on the beach and some food in the bar (fish and chips are great!). They also have a 2 week exhibition on at the moment of life size elephants which are sculpted using some eco materials (I think), worth a look if you have time, they are only there for another few days I think.

Any other questions just let me know.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    O' Connors in the square in Bantry is probably the best restaurant in town. They specalise in seafood if that's your thing.

I'd also recommend Willie Pa's for a good choice of food, it's popular spot though, most of the times I've been there I've had to wait for a table, but is worth it :)

Ok, thank you very much ideed.

I'll print your posts because I don't want to forget anything and because I will have to ask everybody for the places!! It is the first time I go to Cork, so I will be really lost (in fact I only have been in Ireland for 2 months :embarrased: )

thanks again, and I will let you know how it was!

• Advertisement

nateireann wrote: »
    Ok, thank you very much ideed.

I'll print your posts because I don't want to forget anything and because I will have to ask everybody for the places!! It is the first time I go to Cork, so I will be really lost (in fact I only have been in Ireland for 2 months :embarrased: )

thanks again, and I will let you know how it was!

No problem, try stopping off in Kinsale on your way home, and make sure to bring a road map with you :)

Have fun!

No problem, try stopping off in Kinsale on your way home, and make sure to bring a road map with you :)

Have fun!

We'll try to stop there, but I am not sure we'll have time :S anyway, I'll have to go back any other time, won't I? whenever you organize a boards beers :D

cheers and thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Enjoy yourself.
    Let us know how you got on

I'm back in Waterford!

At the end we changed our plans and we went to Kinsale in the first place. Two words to describe it: really impressive!! seriously, we took the Harbour Cruises to see the coast and we were delighted, and we went to visit Charles Fort and... it is one of the most impressive places I've ever seen!

Then we went to Inchidoney and, of course, we ate fish and chips, simply delicious! but they weren't going to show the Euro2008 so we didn't have time to walk on the beach, we saw the exhibition of life size elephants from the bar and we literally sped off to Clonakilty to watch the match, we didn't have any trouble to find the Courthouse Pub and we met an Spanish guy there. The pub was full of people supporting Sweden, but the three of us managed to send our forces to Spain because we won!!!!

it has been a Saturday to remember!

Thank you very much indeed Jimbo and Trotter, I am very grateful for you suggestions, I really enjoyed my stay in Cork County!

Good stuff, glad to hear you had such a good time.

You'll have to come back again to see the rest of West Cork :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement