Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc CLS

Options
  • 12-06-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Starting to get a bit more affordable,a dn a buddy of mine is in the market and looking for advice.

What do you folks reckon on them ?

Not interested in the usual reliability stuff please its not a major concern of mine.

Just wondering what you make of them in general, and what people know of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

IMO they have aged quite poorly considering there short life so far. When they first came to the market I thought they were an absolutely beautiful car but now I wouldn't look twice at one. There are much nicer cars out there especially if your considering the 320.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

For what it's worth, I find the E-class far more elegant. The CLS fairly screams new money, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Anan1 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I find the E-class far more elegant. The CLS fairly screams new money, IMO.

I had this same debate when a family member was looking at buying a Range Rover v Lexus RX400h. I'd make the same comment about the RX, new money motor. I think the CLS will look old in a few short years, but not in a good way like some other models in the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

The CLS is much better looking than the E-class IMO. The CLS will age much better than the E-class. The round headlights have been done to death on Merc's and they are changing them on nearly all models. The CLS started the new generation of Merc's. The new SL headlights are reminiscint of the CLS and coming models will continue this trend.

I wouldn't call the CLS "new money" but I would say that younger buyers will find it more appealing than an E-class because of it's modern styling and at the same time the driving experience is similar to that of an E-class. CLS is by far my fave Merc in the current range.

Is your mate looking for Diesel or petrol? What sort of price? I would think that the 320CDI is the one to go for.

2007 CLS 320CDi, 2600km, 78,000 Euro

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/CLS-320/CDI/934547/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

I know that CLS , mileage is genuine, the owner has a few vechicles and is always abroad. I'd say he take an offer the way the market is. I'm not the owner btw

• Advertisement

biggus wrote: »
    I know that CLS , mileage is genuine, the owner has a few vechicles and is always abroad. I'd say he take an offer the way the market is. I'm not the owner btw

LOL!

yeah like i came to boards to sell my merc ?

or you don't think posters have nice cars

yeah like i came to boards to sell my merc ?

or you don't think posters have nice cars

sorry biggus, think that came off wrong :o

i just thought it was funny when reading "mileage is genuine", "i'd say he'd take an offer", you were being very positive about the car and then "i'm not the owner btw". just thought it was funny for a second :)

in any case, you weren't the one that put the ad up, it was me and i sure as hell don't own it! :)

no prob i'm new to this lark!

p.s. i have a CSL(lightweight M3) yes one of only 422 rhd built(but don't tell anyone especially e92) it might be like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gykMNGAGGA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

*Tripper* wrote: »
    IMO they have aged quite poorly considering there short life so far. When they first came to the market I thought they were an absolutely beautiful car but now I wouldn't look twice at one. There are much nicer cars out there especially if your considering the 320.

HATED it when i first saw one in a magazine,
    LOVED it when I first saw one flying down Haddington Rd.
    But now...

I wouldn't say it has aged but it's at that awkward mid-life stage when it's not the freshest thing around any more but still a hell of a lot finer than many of the newer models. It's spent it's youth hanging out with chinless-wonder types and is now looking for a more loving and caring soul that will attend to it's long-term needs...

...it's a sort of motor-ised Liz Hurley...;)

p.s. i have a CSL(lightweight M3) yes one of only 422 rhd built(but don't tell anyone especially e92) it might be like this one

Is that really your CSL? Very nice car

The guy in it looks biggish doesn't he ? If you listen with good ear phones its very realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks for the opinions guys - its not the diesel version its the 350 petrol he's in the market for - mpg aint a big issue for him, he'd rather save the 10k up front.

I think it has aged a bit alright but comparing to say a 5 series it still cuts a dash I reckon, and is surely better than an A6 of the same value.

Bigger problem is he says its too old for him.

I do kinda see where he is going although I absolutely hate stereotyping cars like that, we are the same age and I would love it!

Currenlty trying to find 3 cars for friends - funny the more money they got the harder I am finding it to get them something, but its the Volkswagen\Skoda thing , more money = greater expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

I like them and think they still look great. I would disagree with some peoples opinions that they scream new money, not at all ostentatious IMO.

A guy that lives near me has a silver 320 CDI with a nice set of upgraded MB alloys (not too bling). Looks very well.

I saw a '08 White RR Sport with 20 inch black alloys yesterday - now that roars new money!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

rigal wrote: »
    I like them and think they still look great. I would disagree with some peoples opinions that they scream new money, not at all ostentatious IMO.

I'm not too sure about them (but I do get sick of inverted snobbery). I don't think it will age too well.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thanks for the opinions guys - its not the diesel version its the 350 petrol he's in the market for - mpg aint a big issue for him, he'd rather save the 10k up front.

I think it has aged a bit alright but comparing to say a 5 series it still cuts a dash I reckon, and is surely better than an A6 of the same value.

Bigger problem is he says its too old for him.

I do kinda see where he is going although I absolutely hate stereotyping cars like that, we are the same age and I would love it!

Currenlty trying to find 3 cars for friends - funny the more money they got the harder I am finding it to get them something, but its the Volkswagen\Skoda thing , more money = greater expectations.

I like them a lot and there are good deals out there on older ones with the slight facelift out. However I have to agree than whenever you see one you are always expecting some 60 year old geezer to be at the wheel. It is a stereotype alright but everyone would think you are driving your dads car more that likely, unless you were in your 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

*Tripper* wrote: »
    IMO they have aged quite poorly considering there short life so far. When they first came to the market I thought they were an absolutely beautiful car but now I wouldn't look twice at one.

I'm the same. Usually when concepts of brand new and avantgarde models from prestige manufacturers appear in the public domain, I'm not that impressed (I reckon I'm a bit conservative when it comes to new styles)

As an example, it took me 3 years to get used to the previous BMW 5-series and another 2 years to really start to like its looks. The car was around 5 years at that stage and nobody had even suggested the design was radical in any form (unlike the Bangle era modern BMWs)

I loved the looks of the CLS as soon as I ever saw a pic of one. My BIL bought one of the first ones available in the Irish market. But somehow my excitement tempered within months really. And my BIL sold his car well within a year iirc

Now when I see one, I barely look at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I like them, I think that they are one of the most interesting looking luxury cars. Best in black with AMG alloys. I'd defo drive one before an E-class but I am 27.

Traditionally merc coupes (bar the CL) have come back into fashion in later life (SEC's, E class coupes etc, 230ce's etc). Maybe the saloon/coupe CLS will follow this trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

The age issue is a thing, everybody I see driving round in a car the same model as mine is well about 20-30 years older than me, but hey I like my comfort.

If your friend is worried about that, tell him to look at a CL instead of a CLS, more expensive but drop a year or two to bring it back into line, great car but nothing smaller than a 500, has all the gadgets an S class will have with a sportier look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

What has that got to do with this thread? Are you mixing up a BMW CSL with a Merc CLS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

^ I think he just stuck that in there as a side note.

nialler wrote: »
    The age issue is a thing, everybody I see driving round in a car the same model as mine is well about 20-30 years older than me, but hey I like my comfort.

If your friend is worried about that, tell him to look at a CL instead of a CLS, more expensive but drop a year or two to bring it back into line, great car but nothing smaller than a 500, has all the gadgets an S class will have with a sportier look.

TBH I would be worried the CL is going to take such a nose dive in value over the next few years people will be giving them away. Even currently it seems there is hardly a dealer in the country who doesn't have one in the stocks.

Anyway - He's moving from a coupe and needs 4 doors apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i like them, plus they are the only real saloon/coupe in that segment.

5 series sport probably a safer bet, but not as rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I bought a new 320 CLS last year and it lasted 6, yes 6 months. Looks all flash on the outside but god is it boring on the inside. Dont get me wrong, it never missed a beat, diesel was quick, quiet and gave circa 37 mpg.

The car was the basic version, leatherette seats and a cabin as black as a coal mine.

What piddled me off was here was a car at the time kickin the ars@ out of a 100k value wise and a skoda octavia had a better and plusher cabin. Everthing in the cabin is plastic and cheap at that. The rear seats are a joke and my 10 yr old kids hated it as also they couldnt see out due to the high doors.

It just did nothing for me. On a further note E classes also have a poor cabin. Lot of switch gear in the cabin of a 05 e220 est is falling off.

Finally if your pal is looking at a CLS350 as juice is not an issue the same costs are more or less involved buying a CLS500 which is a more rewarding drive. Also the residual prices of the CLS 55's have dropped hugely and these are pure weapoins.

Besta luck and i hope you take on board the above points pre purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scab-e

The new Passat CC is a similarly shaped 4 door coupe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat_CC

I don't know how anyone could pay 90K for a diesel with 'leatherette' seats. Although it does have a striking shape.

Actually the Mondeo 'CC' is going to be a cracker too, but realistically neither of these cars are in the same league as the CLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Been in love with the CLS since I saw my first one at a music festival in Punchestown a few years ago. Would snap one up in a second if I had the bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Bearcat wrote: »
    Also the residual prices of the CLS 55's have dropped hugely and these are pure weapoins.

Agree with you - big drop in the CLS55 residuals

• Advertisement
Advertisement