Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faking a US IP Address

Options
  • 12-06-2008 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

There's a website I want to buy some items from, however they do not deliver outside of America.

I have a contact in America who's address I can use to have the goods sent to who can then send them onto me, however the problem is the actual website I want to order from won't let me order because I have a non-US IP address.

i've tried hiding my IP address but when I go to check out it tells me that i have an "impossible IP address" so the site knows I'm not in the US.

Is there any program/site out there that would let me fake a US ip address for the sake of buying stuff from this website??

any help at all appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They more than likely wont let you pay with a european credit card either, very few US stores take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not to mention an US postal address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

What if I could pay Via Paypal or something though?

Is there any way around it at all to fake a US IP address and see how far I could get at the checkout anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Not to mention an US postal address.

Read what the initial post says.

As regards the IP, how did you "hide" it in the first place. The only way I can think of it is a proxy - which should work. However, if you did use a proxy, it's possible that they know the given IP address is a proxy. If that's the case, my only suggestion would be to try another.

Do you mind if I ask what you're buying? Cause this company seems to be going to a ridiculous amount of trouble to keep non-US buyers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what stuff is it? my gf wanted makeup from mac, same problem, but the uk site is as good once u factor in shipping

• Advertisement

Yeah it's MAC! ;)

I know with the lengths they're going to you'd think it was something dodgy... all this trouble over a few lipsticks and mascara! lol

i didn't use a proxy - um, well in all honesty I don't know what a proxy is - I just used surfed through smarthide.com

Zuroph; unfortunately MAC UK don't ship to Ireland.. or at least not for me they won't anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

can you somehow remote desktop (vnc/ windows etc) into your contacts computer and use his machine to purchase (still doesnt stop the european cc problem tho)

No, I can't as the contact I have is a complete stranger to me - one of those eBay auctions where to pay $5 to avail of the services whereby you get mail sent to someone in America and they then repackage your parcel and post it to you for a fee.

boardsie08 wrote: »
    Yeah it's MAC! ;)

I know with the lengths they're going to you'd think it was something dodgy... all this trouble over a few lipsticks and mascara! lol

i didn't use a proxy - um, well in all honesty I don't know what a proxy is - I just used surfed through smarthide.com

Zuroph; unfortunately MAC UK don't ship to Ireland.. or at least not for me they won't anyhow!
    do a test order with bt1 1aa as ur postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

try ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Just use HotSpot Shield, totally free and assigns you a US IP. Benn using it to connect to Hulu.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Very very common for US companies:
    1) Not ship outside US
    2) Only use Courier outside US
    3) Only accept US credit card even if ship outside US.

There is almost nothing that needs to be bought in USA though. Also any "savings" can be wiped out by VAT and customs duty.

No, I can't as the contact I have is a complete stranger to me - one of those eBay auctions where to pay $5 to avail of the services whereby you get mail sent to someone in America and they then repackage your parcel and post it to you for a fee.

Many of those are scams. You never see your goods.

BOBBY wrote: »
    try ebay
    do not try ebay. most mac on ebay is counterfeit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

There's a website I want to buy some items from, however they do not deliver outside of America.

I have a contact in America who's address I can use to have the goods sent to who can then send them onto me, however the problem is the actual website I want to order from won't let me order because I have a non-US IP address.

i've tried hiding my IP address but when I go to check out it tells me that i have an "impossible IP address" so the site knows I'm not in the US.

Is there any program/site out there that would let me fake a US ip address for the sake of buying stuff from this website??

any help at all appreciated!!

Apologies if I'm simplifying things a little, but why not pay the money to your contact in the US via paypal and ask them to order the items for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If they ship by Fed Ex you will ALWAYS be billed for duty.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

digitaldr wrote: »
    If they ship by Fed Ex you will ALWAYS be billed for duty.

Yeah they shafted me with that before. Got some nifty speakers delivered from the states for about 50 quid less than they cost over here, including shipping. They slapped something ridiculous like €80 customs duty on it!

Worst part is the first time you hear about it is when they arrive at your door with the parcel. Part of you wants to tell them to stick it up their hole... but you just can't bring yourself to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I use advercash (look at my sig:D) and most of the offers are USA only. Looking at hotspot sheild

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

barnicles wrote: »
    I use advercash (look at my sig:D) and most of the offers are USA only. Looking at hotspot sheild

Having your affiliate link in your signature is bad enough, but surely you can see that pushing it in your posts as well is stretching it? Maybe I'm just touchy today.

I don't think so...

kin9pin wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm simplifying things a little, but why not pay the money to your contact in the US via paypal and ask them to order the items for you?

Send money to someone you rented an address from on eBay to buy stuff for you?

The unknown contact/accommodation address via eBay is bad. Send them free money too? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

www.myus.com <-- Absolutely no problems at all, great service and you don't get a PO box number you get a proper address.

StrongVPN.com for your US based IP address and change your timezone on your windows clock to some US based zone to be absolutely assured you'll get by some other checks when purchasing from some US based business.

Can all add up the expense on top of whatever you're paying but if you want something and can only get it in the US, then this is one way of doing it.

Myus.com will ship goods with free gift certificates on special request if you wish to go down that route, it's not tax evasion but tax avoidance and fully keeping within all current EU and international laws. Or you can drop ship via another European country and avoid all taxes, if you know what you're doing.

There's always a way while still maintaining legality so long as whatever you are importing is not illegal in your country (guns or whatever for example).

To be honest though, not sure what you're trying to import but like others have said, you can probably get what you want in Europe anyway, just shop around, Germany and Holland are pretty cheap countries for anything electrical/techy and even goods from the UK work out cheaper a lot of the time with the exchange rate the way it is now.

For me though initially I wanted a special ULF listening device (for listenting to the "Dawn Chorus" and lightning) that is only made and sold in the US by one single person. In the end I just got it shipped to a hotel while I was over on the west coast there recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Does anyone know a free USA VPN . I tried hotspot sheild but the downloader just gets stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭macdave

right on the customs side i thought if you had item posted to a business address that the customs limit was about €500 as appose to €45 for personal use.

just thinking about a family member who purchased a dewalt drill set $250 and didnt pay any import duty/customs.

No. It's just that they don't stop every parcel.

Though GLS may try and charge you VAT or customs on things that don't.

Also some things are customs duty free, though not VAT free.

Advertisement