Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS programming

Options
  • 12-06-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just wondering has anyone reprogrammed a BIOS file or have you a link to a page telling you how to do it. I'm interested in rewriting a BIOS flash file and flashing it to a laptop, so that it switches the video output straight to external vga instead of the internal display. Anyone attempted this before? It's only an idea i'm toying with and it doesn't matter if the laptop ends up unuseable.

Thanks,
    -Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Just wondering has anyone reprogrammed a BIOS file or have you a link to a page telling you how to do it. I'm interested in rewriting a BIOS flash file and flashing it to a laptop, so that it switches the video output straight to external vga instead of the internal display. Anyone attempted this before? It's only an idea i'm toying with and it doesn't matter if the laptop ends up unuseable.

Thanks,
    -Rob

It's, er, hard. You are talking about reverse engineering a BIOS from the hexdump, patching it and then reflashing the BIOS with the new version. I've done disassembly before and it can be extra tedious.

Here's a link to a recent book I've seen in Eason's (of all places) that might give you some starting points:

http://www.amazon.com/BIOS-Disassembly-Ninjutsu-Uncovered/dp/1931769605

plus this is a guide to reverse engineering the Award BIOS that is done by the same author I believe. If you aren't put off by that page, then I'd say you know enough to risk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

carveone wrote: »

I did a fair bit of work at the BIOS level in the early 90s, and when I saw that book in town a while ago I got a bit nostalgic and bought it. I've just routed out the book, and found a bookmark on page 150. I'm sure it took me a lot of effort just to get that far :D
    If you aren't put off by that page, then I'd say you know enough to risk it!

+1

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

friggen hell, I knew it would be complicated but I didn't think it would be that bad. Think that's that idea out the window :P

thanks carveone :)

Advertisement