Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Spillane Plays Passionfriut theatre Athlone 14th June

Options
  • 12-06-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Im going to this gig myself and think its worth while letting others know about it :)
    Im more going to see Ciaran Flynn, but Jog Spillane is headlining the gig.

Saturday 14th June
    8.30pm

John Spillane
    www.johnspillane.ie

john_spillane_2.jpg

John is a native of Cork, the county he lovingly describes as 'the centre of the universe' and it has been a huge influence on this singer / songwriter. Vocally, Spillane is quite unique with an almost sean nos like element and has been described as having a voice 'full of honesty, commitment and sensitivity'.

His debut solo album 'The Wells of The World' (1997) was described by Hot Press's Oliver Sweeney as, 'not only a striking and individual musical statement, but one of the albums of this or any other year.' His compositions have been described as, "highly original in concept, full of imagery and wonder".

+ Support Act, Ciaran Flynn
    www.fono.ie

CF_Republic_Shot01.jpg

Ciaran is a local artist from athlone and is his second time to perform at passion fruit theathre. His first performance was as a headline and was a sell out!
    I am an independent Irish songwriter usually seen around the world with a guitar and a boarding pass in my hand - a musical and cultural explorer I suppose.

I began playing traditional Irish ballads around my hometown, when I wasn't attempting Dylan, Donovan, Simon & Garfunkel, Planxty, Neil Young, Woody Guthrie, Tracy Chapman and Radiohead.

The poems, songs and voice of Luke Kelly left me with a very romantic vision of the Ireland that I inherit. This and the poetry of Patrick Kavanagh presented the english language at its best - written, sang and read in familiar accent.

Around the same time I developed a real appreciation for artists like The Frames, Springsteen, Prayerboat, Tom Waits and Nick Drake. The guitar made sense to me and, when the time came, I leaned on it to deliver my own songs.

Before leaving home I saw Andy Irvine (Planxty) perform in a local folk club. I admired his ability to communicate with only his musical instrument and from that evening I have aspired to do the same.

I'm back in Dublins' inner city; writing, recording, performing and dreaming up my next journey

Tickets 20 euro
    Available at the door

or

email

fiona@passionfruittheatre.com

Comments

Advertisement