Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hooked.

• 12-06-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

hey every one, first time posting here!
    I'm doing exams at the moment, and theres a two hour break in between. Situated in a small town, what better to do but hang around the the place. Anyways, by chance, myself and a couple of lads went into chat r net, in the back of the shop, there is a dark room with about 12 computers... All for gaming. So we payed up and started playing COD. I'm now hooked, we're all hooked. We were playing against each other in it and i'm sure theres a lot more to the game than that.

What i'd like to know is... Is the pc game, as good, better, worse than the playstation version? not depending on the specs of the pc. I would imagine the ps controller would be easier to use and more comfortable? Which do you guys use? Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

iv played it on the pc and the xbox 360 and have to say the xbox was much better.

easier to control and aim and stuff.

im hokked to i cleared it on im back playing it through now on verteran level...........really hard:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

ya, see the mouse doesn't give you a chance to make a quick 180 degree turn if there was an enemy behind you but i'd imagine with the analog controls it wouldn't be a problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Eh what?

How is a controller easier?!

Especially for an fps.. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Lol whats with all of the people taking the piss on boards recently ?? I have noticed it on a few forums now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Having played both all three versions I would go for the x-box.

Reasons are,

-If you don't already have one, buying a pc that runs COD4 well is very expensive.
    -The ps3 online play system is still woefully bad compared to the x-box
    -The game was designed for consoles then ported to the pc. It suits the smaller teams and playstyle of the console.
    -Not using a mouse and keyboard only becomes a hindrance when up against mouse and keyboard players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Lets weight up the options

xbox - nearly always poor connections (server side)
    - Nearly completely full of twats and no way of kicking them
    - having to use a analog stick
    - No clan base for the most part
    - Loads of trouble trying to join games in a party

Good thing about the xbox is that my friends play it and less people per map.
    That's about it.

PC - Very little connection problems and if there is there's player side
    - Even with a half decent graphics card it pisses on xbox
    - Use of mouse and keyboard I feel is waaaaay easier, even the game developers thing so but putting a sticky aim into the console version.
    - Less twats and even is there is they can be kicked or banned.
    - Proper clans.
    - Modded servers with new maps and gametypes.

The bad thing is PB and because of PB it's getting slightly more complicated to play online.
    Also most maps are packed.

Mind you i don't like playing cod4 i much prefare cod2.

xbox - nearly always poor connections (server side)

Really, I have always had decent pings. Are you referring to the disconnects? They happen because the games are hosted client side and people leave or shutdown their machines.
    - Nearly completely full of twats and no
    way of kicking them

Although the average x-box player is an ass, most pc players are as well. You just can't hear them. And you don't need to kick them, leave and start a new game. Its fairly simple.
    - having to use a analog stick

Matter of personal opinion, there are many console players out there who would disagree with you.
    - No clan base for the most part

There is competitive x-box clans out there. But the large majority of people are not interested in that aspect of the game.
    - Loads of trouble trying to join games in a party

Not something I have seen either.
    Good thing about the xbox is that my friends play it and less people per map.
    That's about it.

Those are the only good points? How about the lack of a need for a teamspeak server when playing with friends? Ease of use, automatic matchmaking systems, complete lack of proper cheaters because nobody codes aimbots for consoles.
    PC - Very little connection problems and if there is there's player side

Pc's have hosts of connections problems constantly. Vista currenty has a great bug where the tcp/ip stack likes to take a nose dive for no real reason. Not something you get on a xbox.
    - Even with a half decent graphics card it pisses on xbox

Define half decent, 200 euros. 50 for the game. How much for a entire xbox360 and COD4?
    - Use of mouse and keyboard I feel is waaaaay easier, even the game developers thing so but putting a sticky aim into the console version.

I'm not saying a fps is better with a console, I'm saying if everybody else is using a controller you can still have fun. Why do pc fps player have to be so anal about only playing with a mouse and keyboard. You don't have to have a m&k to play a game and have fun.
    - Less twats and even is there is they can be kicked or banned.

Assuming the Admin is on, that he cares and that he isn't the assholes/twat himself.
    - Proper clans.

The x-box has.

- Modded servers with new maps and gametypes.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the enjoyment of 50 player shipment.

Currently there is nothing in terms of modded content or maps that sets the pc apart from the xbox for the average player.
    The bad thing is PB and because of PB it's getting slightly more complicated to play online.
    Also most maps are packed.

I would have said the bad thing is the need for punkbuster in the first place. Especially since I have seen about 3 bans in 3 years of playing games with punkbusters. And I have banned a couple of hundred players across 3 different servers and games who were blatantly cheating(constant 180 degree flickshot headshots, constant wall tracking and bang killing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

-If you don't already have one, buying a pc that runs COD4 well is very expensive.
    True, PC is expensive but it's also hands down the best. The consoles serve their purpose well but on paper and in practice (bar the need for background pc knowledge should anything go wrong) the PC is the winning device.

-The game was designed for consoles then ported to the pc. It suits the smaller teams and playstyle of the console.
    Not really true, FPS and I think Call of duty all started on the PC where ported to consoles then the sequels where the other way around hence the bitterness of PC users. We made these games what they where damnit!! :p

-Not using a mouse and keyboard only becomes a hindrance when up against mouse and keyboard players.
    But again K/M is the best way of playing FPS. If you really want to hobble yourself you can always use a joypad with the pc.

If you've got the time and money the PC is king, consoles are a cheaper alternative. Always have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Xbox360 < PC play, anyone who thinks otherwise is simply misinformed (hasnt got a full understanding of whats involved)

i was also planning on leaving this ill-informed thread to die until this flared up

short of calling the guy an idiot i will agree with everything kami/sod of swords have said as unlike the xbox fanboys they are basing their opinions on facts and not letting their fanboy "its what use so it must be better" brain doing the talking - simple denial of the facts
    ya, see the mouse doesn't give you a chance to make a quick 180 degree turn if there was an enemy behind you but i'd imagine with the analog controls it wouldn't be a problem.

that deserves an epic facepalm.jpg all of its own - sorry but this statement is just WRONG - its also obvious that either again, a lack of understanding or an attempt to troll has occured!

edit: oh and btw - dissecting entire posts and responding with dismissive comments for individual sentences is the new way to have a sensible discussion on boards.ie - all the cool kids are doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sohara

PC > Console for FPS all the time, you are bad at games if you think otherwise.

• Advertisement

Hercule wrote: »
    that deserves an epic facepalm.jpg all of its own - sorry but this statement is just WRONG - its also obvious that either again, a lack of understanding or an attempt to troll has occured!

Sorry i was just trying to give an example of the difficulty i had playing the game for the first time. I thought the keyboard mouse controls not very user friendly. Granted, if i played the game more i may become accustomed to it. But being familiar with all games console controllers, i find them far more comfortable and easy to get used to. I don't see why you had left this thread to 'die' my op is genuine and all i want is some of your views and advice but thanks to one poster in particular this thread has turned into something entirely different, for the worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sorry i was just trying to give an example of the difficulty i had playing the game for the first time. I thought the keyboard mouse controls not very user friendly. Granted, if i played the game more i may become accustomed to it. But being familiar with all games console controllers, i find them far more comfortable and easy to get used to. I don't see why you had left this thread to 'die' my op is genuine and all i want is some of your views and advice but thanks to one poster in particular this thread has turned into something entirely different, for the worse.
    Allot of console users have that problem. I played some fighting game on a console that was in a chipper not so long ago and my hand just cramped up after a few minutes.

With practice the K/M is the best way, you just have more fluid control and a greater range of keys/buttons.

It would help to get a specific replacement for the keyboard. Something that maybe had analog replacements for the WSDA keys.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Allot of console users have that problem. I played some fighting game on a console that was in a chipper not so long ago and my hand just cramped up after a few minutes.

With practice the K/M is the best way, you just have more fluid control and a greater range of keys/buttons.

It would help to get a specific replacement for the keyboard. Something that maybe had analog replacements for the WSDA keys.

Thanks for the help. Ya, the WSDA format i really didn't like.

if i was playing online on a console could i play against other users on a pc or is it confined to users on the same type console?

Xbox360 < PC play, anyone who thinks otherwise is simply misinformed (hasnt got a full understanding of whats involved)

i was also planning on leaving this ill-informed thread to die until this flared up

If you are going to say I'm ill informed please back it up with something.
    short of calling the guy an idiot i will agree with everything kami/sod of swords have said as unlike the xbox fanboys they are basing their opinions on facts and not letting their fanboy "its what use so it must be better" brain doing the talking - simple denial of the facts

If you took 2 steps back you would see that I own both a 360 and pc. I have been using a pc for a number of years and recently acquired a 360. I believe it suits the more casual gamer and that pc's do not automatically superceed everything else in terms of gameplay. I have been keeping an open mind. I am happy to acknowledge the good points of pc gaming, but I have also highlighted the bad points. I like that you feel free to ignore all that in your above post.

Please feel free to point out the reasons why the thread is wrong, why that statement is wrong or where exactly there is a lack of understanding besides the posted on a mobile bit. Instead of making a blanket statement with nothing to back it up.
    edit: oh and btw - dissecting entire posts and responding with dismissive comments for individual sentences is the new way to have a sensible discussion on boards.ie - all the cool kids are doing it!

Yeah, responding to posts in a easy to read format and discussing matters of opinion are not what forums are about.

if i was playing online on a console could i play against other users on a pc or is it confined to users on the same type console?

You are confined to the same format, x-box to x-box, pc to pc and ps3 to ps3. There is a game where cross format play is possible, its called Shadowrun. Unfortunately its not very good.

See please don't prove me wrong, i need to justify spending over a grand on me pc.

True, PC is expensive but it's also hands down the best. The consoles serve their purpose well but on paper and in practice (bar the need for background pc knowledge should anything go wrong) the PC is the winning device.

Lol, maybe I'm a bit biased. I see the worst of pc users every day in my job. You start to think everybody is going to throw water all over their pc and then blame you for it being broken. But currently I would rate on cost/performance/versatility basis the x-box first. But as new hard-ware comes out in the next two years and current hard-ware drops in price the pc will retake it.

Not really true, FPS and I think Call of duty all started on the PC where ported to consoles then the sequels where the other way around hence the bitterness of PC users. We made these games what they where damnit!! :p

I am seeing a bone of contention about the way COD4 was designed. But its more economically viable to produce console to pc ports now days. I blame Crysis and piracy. Ohh and driver issues.

But again K/M is the best way of playing FPS. If you really want to hobble yourself you can always use a joypad with the pc.

If you've got the time and money the PC is king, consoles are a cheaper alternative. Always have been.

Yes you are hobbled with a keyboard and yes its the better way of playing a fps(although Cremo would argue a joystick is better). But the point I am making is that when you get used to it on a console, you realize you are as hobbled as everybody else. Its just a new way of doing the same old thing and you can still enjoy doing it.

I still spend about a grand upgrading my pc every year, but I'm not going to automatically tell everybody else to just because I do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I run the biggest clan in Ireland with cod4 teams in both xbox360 and PC - i feel qualified to judge which one is better or worse - when someone tells me that a game/platform "suits more the casual gamer" i take that as meaning the game is suitably dumbed down for people that dont have the time/effort to throw at a game - im not begrudging anyone for that - im also used to dealing with people that are brand new to the game or gaming in general on the Irish E-sports server so im not about to go around insulting ppl - at this point trackerman is beginning to look a lot like a troll - im guessing this is inadverdent and i mean no offence by pointing it out.
    Please feel free to point out the reasons why the thread is wrong, why that statement is wrong or where exactly there is a lack of understanding besides the posted on a mobile bit. Instead of making a blanket statement with nothing to back it up.

U honestly think that a analogue stick can do a 180 better then k/m?? - jeez i have 180 degree turn bound to a single key :p

m not trying to open the PC -vs- Console can of worms as everyone who plays the game regularly on any platform for fun or competitively knows/acknowledges the status quo - im not out to change anyones opinions on things.

perhaps u shud try do a barrel roll on the xbox version and tell me if its easier then on PC <- (obvious attempt to derail the thread)

Indeed you may but I suppose the reason i like PC over console is I started with PC.
    They both have an equal amount of pros and cons, just for myself i feel pc edges ahead mainly because i had a pc before i did a console!

• Advertisement

what kind of specs then are needed for a pc to run games like CoD ? 2mb ram, fairly good processer, dual core, 160gig hard drive, would that do it? How much money are you talking for a good graphics card after that?

Funny you should say that, i think the new brothers in arms game will be multi platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I personally prefer the PC version of cod4 because of mods like zombies and custom maps which are plentiful on mods. If you would like advice on a pc build go to "tech">"computers">"Building & Upgrading". I imagine more people play on the PC version anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

what kind of specs then are needed for a pc to run games like CoD ? 2mb ram, fairly good processer, dual core, 160gig hard drive, would that do it? How much money are you talking for a good graphics card after that?
    Define half decent, 200 euros. 50 for the game. How much for a entire xbox360 and COD4?

Well I have a card that costs 87 euro brand new and it runs Call of Duty 4 at 1680x1050 high settings no problems - and at these settings, it looks very noticeably superior to the console versions of the game. Computer hardware, particularly video cards, have plummeted lately and the return for your money is at an all time high. COD4 is not very CPU intensive, it runs more or less the same on lower end dual cores as it does on extreme quads....that is not the same for every game, but if you wanted to put together a COD4 machine for as cheap as possible, a few hundred euro would see you through the game on high settings. E2200, 2gb ram, 8800GS, etc.

I've played COD4 on the 360 online and was quite shocked by how poor it looked - though it was quite good fun and a nice change from the PC version to be able to natively talk to other players. I'm a PC Gamer but I think console gaming just suits other people more - this stupid 'elitist' argument about the PC being better is simply all subjective. I know people who much prefer to play on their console - and that's all there is to it - opinion. Though obviously, a PC player versus a console player will generally be superior.

I've also owned a 360 and I upgrade my PC every few months....and I without doubt would play the PC 95% of the time. But consoles have their place, and provide fun as well.

Adriatic wrote: »
    I personally prefer the PC version of cod4 because of mods like zombies and custom maps which are plentiful on mods. If you would like advice on a pc build go to "tech">"computers">"Building & Upgrading". I imagine more people play on the PC version anyway.

There is a zombie mod? I'm going to have to look for that one.

You got me curious so I went to look for sales figures for COD4 to see how it did multi-platform.

X-box360 =6.11m
    Ps3=3.32m
    PC=?

Since it turns out they they haven't released sales figures for the PC I'm going to take a guess and say that even with Steam you would be hard pushed to see more then 6.11m sales for the pc. Or from a few threads I have seen on here about recent popular pc game sales figures, I don't think it would even beat the ps3 sales.

The Queen wrote: »
    Well I have a card that costs 87 euro brand new and it runs Call of Duty 4 at 1680x1050 high settings no problems - and at these settings, it looks very noticeably superior to the console versions of the game. Computer hardware, particularly video cards, have plummeted lately and the return for your money is at an all time high. COD4 is not very CPU intensive, it runs more or less the same on lower end dual cores as it does on extreme quads....that is not the same for every game, but if you wanted to put together a COD4 machine for as cheap as possible, a few hundred euro would see you through the game on high settings. E2200, 2gb ram, 8800GS, etc.

Toms Hardware did a interesting recent article where they took a look at how a variety of cpu's effect fps. They found that as you increased the resolution and detail the difference between a 50 Euro cpu and a 1000 Euro cpu became non-existent. Your right about the card though, a 87 Euro card would play Cod4 well. I just tend to price machines in my head for what games they will be able to play in around a year and a half. Or how they do at Crysis. I have always found buying slightly above mid-range has always been the best value.
    The Queen wrote: »
    I've played COD4 on the 360 online and was quite shocked by how poor it looked - though it was quite good fun and a nice change from the PC version to be able to natively talk to other players. I'm a PC Gamer but I think console gaming just suits other people more - this stupid 'elitist' argument about the PC being better is simply all subjective. I know people who much prefer to play on their console - and that's all there is to it - opinion. Though obviously, a PC player versus a console player will generally be superior.

All agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

There is a zombie mod? I'm going to have to look for that one.
    dbae3bfd1b80c9b2e05172a1797b536fa69ed819.jpg
    cf3534c9741014e1a948c50edb12396722f85f04.jpg

Just to note these two screenshots are from two completely different zombie mods.

Looks cool, but I can't stop looking at the chat logs
    Imagegremlin: Fcuk off
    Console: Report any abuse to the website!

At the end of the day as I said before it really comes down to preference, they both have roughly an equal amount of pros and cons.
    So just let it slide really before more people say silly things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I play cod4 on both pc and 360.

I admit to enjoying it on both platforms [i recall getting stick on here becasue i said i enjoyed it on the 360]

I much prefer to play it on pc however for a number of reasons.
    Mouse and keyboard is just so comfortable,precise,accurate etc.
    Also the fact i have a high end pc and it looks so much better than the 360 [im viewing both on my samsung monitor]
    No annoying kids spouting off on voice comms.
    Theres nothing like playing on your favourite servers with the server regulars and your friends - so much better than friends on 360 which is infact very good but imo is not quite the same.

Having said that if i didnt have a high end pc or never got into pc gaming id be quite happy with the 360 version.
    Its fun on consoles ,it really is but for a long time pc gamer i just cannot get one thing out of my head while playing ,that being - [why am i playing this when i have nice pc with excellent control scheme sitting beside me?]

It all comes down to personal taste,casual players are to be found on both formats as are more competitive players.

Its almost akin to cars and motorbikes as a mode of transport.
    The bike ican be fast and nimble but you need to gear up for them,they are lovely on a hot sunny day but not so on a wet miserable day.
    Somewhat cheaper to buy and run.

Cars can also be fast but offer a different experience yet you are still travelling from A to B.
    You stay dry and have no need for heavy motorbike leathers.
    You get stuck in traffic more but you can have firends and family in the car with you to chat to or argue with :)

Consoles and pc are both great and offer gaming in different ways.
    Both have postiives and negatives,some gamers simply cant live with what they see as negatives of one or the other.

Personally id choose the pc for many genres like fps,MMO,racing sims [cant stand arcade racers on consoles],RTS,RPG.
    For games like Fifa 08 etc id go with console everytime.

Advertisement