Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain seeks to create nuclear waste dumps in North

Options
  • 12-06-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

Councils in the North are being asked by the British government to take in nuclear waste.

London has said that any council agreeing to bury nuclear waste would benefit economically and has invited councils for exploratory talks.

The British Environment Secretary Hilary Benn has written to local councils across Scotland, Wales, England and the North asking them to consider providing what he called an essential service to the nation.

Before I go off on a rant, does anyone know where they are currently disposing of their nuclear waste ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Let's look on the positive side... When the north becomes radioactive after being nuke-trashed, will they finally leave the island? Where's Jonathan Swift when you need him? A Modest Proposal II?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Afaik the Brits send it to the French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Poor thread topic line, thought the Nordies were being singled out, poor them. Except thats not the case.

At the moment its being stored "on site" in caskets. As the decomisioning of the first gen stations gets under way capacity is going to be an issue hence the bury it option.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4949096.stm

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Another Great Reason to Support Sinn Fein - It would never happen on their watch!

I don't know about ye but that's a step to far!!:(

I think we'll be having a Lisburn treaty next:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The best place to store that sort of stuff would is the likes of depleted mines way below groundwater levels and with a couple of hundred meter worth of rock and soil on top of it. As for where to store it I suppose it's only fair that anyone who gets a share of the cheap electricity stores a share of the waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Whereever they bury it needs to be under 24 hour security in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Boston wrote: »
    Afaik the Brits send it to the French.

Thought it was the Germans , at least it was a few years ago .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the hysterical descision by the electorate shows that we will certainly never allow anything with the word nuclear in it in this country
    we just too easy to scare , you can do nothing in this place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Big Ears wrote: »
    Thought it was the Germans , at least it was a few years ago .

I recall the Germans sending trains to France back in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Boston wrote: »
    I recall the Germans sending trains to France back in the 90s

That's probably is what still happened up to the 00's so because I remember the trains still doing this 3/4 years ago , and I know it was the Germans transporting but the destination may well have been France

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why not send it to the Isle of Man, nothing ever happens there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

Those evil brits want to put a nuclear waste dump under us! We're all gonna get cancer and die! Run for your lives .... HAAAAALP! Sky iz falling!

@BlueLagoon et. al. Try to keep some perspective. Techniques already exist to safely store high level nuclear wastes for thousands, if not millions of years, one of them being the Vitrification of nuclear wastes in boroscilicate glass.

Technically, if you dig a hole deep enough in a good enough geological formation (i.e. little or no access to groundwater) you can chuck it all in there with little need to fear any damange. And since the volume of High Level Waste created to supply one person with nuclear electricity over a normal lifetime is physically small enough to fit comfortably in the palm of ones hand, and the UK nuclear programme for all its faults has made extensive use of fuel reprocessing, it is my guess that the amount of waste involved is no more than a small warehouse full.

In essence, the technological and safety challenged associated with nuclear HLW waste disposal are minimal - the problems are primarily ones of political reality and public perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Another reason why we should take back the north before they destroy it further with nuclear waste, that lasts thousands of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Another reason why we should take back the north before they destroy it further with nuclear waste, that lasts thousands of years.

No no they should take it ! Then the people will become mutant monsters and we will be "forced" to defend ourselves

good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 garbanz0

I think they're just going to find the poorest place in the UK that is willing to sell its future for the lowest price.

That's the way it always works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

garbanz0 wrote: »
    I think they're just going to find the poorest place in the UK that is willing to sell its future for the lowest price.

That's the way it always works.

that's the way it works with asylum seekers.

Advertisement