Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star treks view out the window is all wrong

• 12-06-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

You know in star trek when they are whizzing through space and out the window you see stars approaching then disappearing backwards, thats just so wrong, for starters they'd have to be going faster than the speed of light so looking backwards you would see nothing !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The voice of experience talks, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

you know in bsg when ships jump? there folding/bendingspace there would be nothing too see in reallife because scientists therorise that the folding of space would distort space and you would see nothing. bsg still looks kool and allot of people would say it was **** looking if there was just no visuals and just a cut/paste scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The op is correct, in fact only recently I found out the Kilingon Empire didn't even exist!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    The op is correct, in fact only recently I found out the Kilingon Empire didn't even exist!?!

Does that mean that resistance ISN'T futile???
    I know i'm intermixing races here, but feck it!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How come whenever theres a really big emergency, the security teams walk really slowly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

It must be like those notices you see in staff areas of shops..

"You're helping run one of the best ships in the fleet, Don't run in it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Why, if you wore a RED shirt did you die??

Did we already know that Sulu was gay but never admitted it till George "came out" himself ( just look at his acting )

Why did we never see what really happened to Dr. McCoy after his appearence in TSG with Data. How did he live so long

What ever happened to Scotty after he was rescued from that transporter and then left the Enterprise

why am I such a trekkie geek and ask lots of questions :D

Will I ever fit into that old starfleet uniform I have in my closet, Will I come out of the closet as a Trekkie.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

He travels back in time to rescue Kirk from the Nexus.
    RobbieMc wrote: »
    Why, if you wore a RED shirt did you die??

Did we already know that Sulu was gay but never admitted it till George "came out" himself ( just look at his acting )

Why did we never see what really happened to Dr. McCoy after his appearence in TSG with Data. How did he live so long

What ever happened to Scotty after he was rescued from that transporter and then left the Enterprise

why am I such a trekkie geek and ask lots of questions :D

Will I ever fit into that old starfleet uniform I have in my closet, Will I come out of the closet as a Trekkie.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

MooseJam wrote: »
    You know in star trek when they are whizzing through space and out the window you see stars approaching then disappearing backwards, thats just so wrong, for starters they'd have to be going faster than the speed of light so looking backwards you would see nothing !

They're traveling through subspace, the quantum fabric distorts their perception of space time, hence stars dragging backwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nerd!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

They're traveling through subspace, the quantum fabric distorts their perception of space time, hence stars dragging backwards.

No, the OP is correct. However travel through space-time has been shown to create an ionic-phase variance in the optical matrix of most twentieth-first century TV sets, which explains the illusion of stars traveling backwards you see on your screens when watching ships travel at warp-speed on Star Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Nerd:rolleyes:

There are plenty of flaws in Star Trek, ITS FICTION!!! Leave it alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

RobbieMc wrote: »

That never sat well with me.

"Yeah.. Grand Dad... we're sick of hearing your stories about the good old days, here's a space shuttle now feck off!"

Slice wrote: »
    No, the OP is correct. However travel through space-time has been shown to create an ionic-phase variance in the optical matrix of most twentieth-first century TV sets, which explains the illusion of stars traveling backwards you see on your screens when watching ships travel at warp-speed on Star Trek.

Have you tried reversing the polarity?

Steve_o wrote: »
    Nerd:rolleyes:

There are plenty of flaws in Star Trek, ITS FICTION!!! Leave it alone...

no, its real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/warp.htm all you ever needed to know about warp drive but where afraid to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

How did the lads hide their big stalkers every time 7 of 9 was on duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

lol thats a good question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

spadder wrote: »

Thought about Captain Janeway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

More importantly, how did Picard get any work done when Deanna Troi sat beside him wearing those low cut V-tops. Hell, I know I'd be searching for some side boob.

Maybe that's why Picard did that Picard Maneuver thing with his tunic every time he stood up. To, you know, fix his warped pants.

ka CHING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

spadder wrote: »
    IamBeowulf wrote: »
    More importantly, how did Picard get any work done when Deanna Troi sat beside him wearing those low cut V-tops. Hell, I know I'd be searching for some side boob.

Maybe that's why Picard did that Picard Maneuver thing with his tunic every time he stood up. To, you know, fix his warped pants.

ka CHING
    :eek:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Why did the dudes wear skirts in season 1 of TNG?

think it was something to do with equality of the sexes, women wore miniskirts and some men could choose to aswell without discrimination.

quote wiki

"the skirt design for men 'skant' was a logical development, given the total equality of the sexes presumed to exist in the 24th century."

lol

Aw yeah I forgot about those skirts! I'll never forget the ridiculous skintight uniforms Seasons One and Two...thankfully they grew brains and made the cooler, collared, regular uniforms for everyone bar the extras. Sure even Troi lost the skirt (weyhey!) in favour of the blue Commander uniform (awww).

thats the genius of TNG, the first series in particular was hilarious, all the more so because it was unintentional. Like when Picard reprimands an officer for imagining that theres a fire in the corridor, brilliant cheese!

Or when they put Wesley Crusher, a child, untrained, at the helm of THE FEDERATION FLAGSHIP. 1000 souls in the hands of a hormonal headache-inducing little &^%$

(Excuse the emotion, I just find it a little too much to grasp, aaaargh)

True, there was one too many deus ex endings with Wesley in them, but he then did become a god or something when he joined the traveller. Although apparently he returned to star fleet in Nemesis or something to that effect. Wesley was annoying but I guess he was, in a philosophical sense, one of the most accurate representations of an annoying teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

IamBeowulf wrote: »

ka CHING

I think this might answer your question:
    http://www.idkwtf.com/videos/latest-videos/family-guy-thats-not-lemonade

:):D

True, there was one too many deus ex endings with Wesley in them, but he then did become a god or something when he joined the traveller. Although apparently he returned to star fleet in Nemesis or something to that effect. Wesley was annoying but I guess he was, in a philosophical sense, one of the most accurate representations of an annoying teenager.

Yeah the Traveler spoke about taking him to places he'd never imagined and stuff. Then he randomly showed up at Riker/Troi's wedding, dressed in a Starfleet uniform. So...the Traveler really kinda ran out of ideas and showed him...Starfleet Academy???

Ever notice how the helmsman was always screwed? I mean, OK Geordie got to goto Engineering. But Ro laren ended up being a Maquis freedom fighter (did she die? hmmm) and in Generations the kinda hot gal got blown up, Deanna took over only to crash the ship, Hawke in First Contact got assimilated and then kicked into space, and the scared-looking dude from nemesis had a first-hand experience of spacefreeze.

Data, in Ops, was quite content though. He shagged Yar, kicked his brother's ass (a common fantasy), got an emotion chip, shagged the Borg Queen (yuck, but ballsy), temporarily insurrected (hehe, insurrection), and died saving everyone, probably didn't even feel a thing. And oh what a haircut. Slick, yet modest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

think it was something to do with equality of the sexes, women wore miniskirts and some men could choose to aswell without discrimination.

quote wiki

"the skirt design for men 'skant' was a logical development, given the total equality of the sexes presumed to exist in the 24th century."

lol

:pac::pac::pac:
    Is that the trailer in Galaxy Quest

And the size of Troi's hair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Excellent points, well made.
    What has disappointed me for a long time is that the Ent D conference room is at the back of the bridge dome on top of the saucer section so the nacelles and the upper surface of the saucer should be highly visible through those big windows but tragically they are not.
    One thing they did really well though was to have the reflections of the stars showing up on the shiny black table top. Full marks for that one!

And lets not forget: "Number 1, I order you to go take a number two...." (slow to load)

Advertisement