Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS issues for an Irish domain on American hosting

Options
  • 12-06-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got an Irish domain and I thought it should be no difference where to buy hosting so I went for Godaddy which I know quite well. Never had any Irish domains so not sure what's wrong here and who's to blame but basically I can't seem to be able to point my Irish name to Godaddy hosting. I try the two default Godaddy DNS (ns51.domaincontrol.com and ns52.domaincontrol.com) from my domain control panel but the DNS change fails saying something like they're not authoritative. I bought the domain for 5 years and hosting for 3 years but I think I'm screwed up as I can't connect them. Any suggestions?? BTW, I registered the domain with letshost.ie - could this be a reason or it's an IEDR policy?
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Contact your providers for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Godaddy still keeps silence and from my past experience I don't think they will be very helpful. Letshost said it's not their problem and gave the following report:

Verifying zone for mydomain.ie on name server ns51.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Thu Jun 12 18:34:04 2008
    OK: Verifying zone mydomain.ie.
    OK: Starting verification from server ns51.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Requesting NS list for zone mydomain.ie. from ns51.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Checking ns51.domaincontrol.com for authority
    FATAL: ns51.domaincontrol.com is not authoritative for zone mydomain.ie.
    OK: No NS list in 'answer' section; checking 'authority' section
    FATAL: Empty NS list found for zone mydomain.ie. from ns51.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Querying server 208.109.14.47 as 208.109.14.47
    FATAL: No authoritative answers obtained
    FATAL: Verification failed for zone mydomain.ie.
    FATAL: Thu Jun 12 18:34:04 2008

Verification result for mydomain.ie on FATAL: Thu Jun 12 18:34:04 2008
    Verifying zone for mydomain.ie on name server ns52.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Starting verification from server ns51.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Requesting NS list for zone mydomain.ie. from ns51.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Checking ns51.domaincontrol.com for authority
    FATAL: ns51.domaincontrol.com is not authoritative for zone mydomain.ie.
    FATAL: Empty NS list found for zone mydomain.ie. from ns51.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Querying server 208.109.14.47 as 208.109.14.47
    OK: Starting verification from server ns52.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Requesting NS list for zone mydomain.ie. from ns52.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Checking ns52.domaincontrol.com for authority
    FATAL: ns52.domaincontrol.com is not authoritative for zone mydomain.ie.
    FATAL: Empty NS list found for zone mydomain.ie. from ns52.domaincontrol.com
    OK: Querying server 208.109.255.26 as 208.109.255.26

Verification result for mydomain.ie on FATAL: Thu Jun 12 18:34:04 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

GoDaddy's DNS doesn't play nice at all.

If you want to see what's happening in detail check:

http://www.zonecheck.fr/demo/

We're currently trying to sort out a similar issue for another GoDaddy client where the nameserver IPs are backwards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Thanks, Blacknight :) I understand you're a professional so maybe you can help me with a few questions? Up until now I was working with other extensions so I'm not really familiar with the ie specifics. For example, I tried updating an eu domain with the above DNS (ns51.domaincontrol.com and ns52.domaincontrol.com) and they were happily accepted despite the fact that zonecheck.fr didn't quite approve it either.

1) Is it Registrar's or Registry's problem that I can't use Godaddy's DNS in Ireland?

2) Is there any way at all to use Godaddy's DNS with ie names?

3) Is there any way at all to use non-Irish DNS with ie names?

I think I don't have to explain why I buy hosting from Godaddy as 3 years with 200MB MS SQL for USD 150 is hard to find on this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm no Blacknight, (and this is more generic than specific hosting, so I hope that's ok) but here goes...
    none wrote: »
    1) Is it Registrar's or Registry's problem that I can't use Godaddy's DNS in Ireland?
    There's no .ie Registrars as such, more resellers. To answer your question it's Godaddy's problem. IEDR don't care where you DNS severs are as long as they work.
    If they configure it correctly, yes as it's no different to any other domain. If they don't that's an issue you have to take up with them. I've done so for one guy on the last generation of control panel. I've no idea what the current generation does/doesn't do, and that's not something we can discuss here, I believe.
    Yup, no problem at all. Like I said, IEDR aren't fussy what DNS servers are running where as long as you have at least 2 that are properly configured. That yours aren't is an issue you'll have to take up with GoDaddy, like the mod said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

For example, I tried updating an eu domain with the above DNS (ns51.domaincontrol.com and ns52.domaincontrol.com) and they were happily accepted despite the fact that zonecheck.fr didn't quite approve it either.

That's because Eurid don't do a dns check. They'll allow you to register a domain without specifying any nameservers

Neither. It's the host's problem

You *should* be able to, but they seem to have done something odd with their configs recently which is why so many people are having problems (you're the 3rd or 4th I've come across in the last week)
    Of course, if they're properly configured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As I say, contact your host for support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement