Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roofing material for 15 degree pitch

• 12-06-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am in the process of building and one side of the house a single pitch 15 degree roof, we want it to look like an old farmhouse so are looking for an alternative roofinf material. Our builder feels that it will leak with natural slate at that pitch,

Any views on
    A: Will a 15degree single pitch roof with natural salte leak?
    B: What alternatives could we use keeping the feel of an old farmhouse?? Felt maybe or a corrugated roof??

many thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭corboy

That side of the house is hitting the gable of the kitchen, architect isn't keen on changing the pitch, and I'm not keen on another slate as it will clash with the slate on the rest of the house,

Thanks for the links though,

I was thinking more along the lines of felt or something similar to give an old farmhouse look,

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

capco and tegral both do a 15 degslate..

otherwise zinc or copper....

other options:
    double skinned panels
    PVC
    asphalt
    'green' roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

corboy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am in the process of building and one side of the house a single pitch 15 degree roof, we want it to look like an old farmhouse so are looking for an alternative roofinf material. Our builder feels that it will leak with natural slate at that pitch,

Any views on
    A: Will a 15degree single pitch roof with natural salte leak?
    B: What alternatives could we use keeping the feel of an old farmhouse?? Felt maybe or a corrugated roof??

many thanks,

I agree natural slate is not suitable for that shallow a pitch

if you insist on that pitch and natural slate maybee (i can hear you laughing) profiled metal sheeting with battons over and slates on top.
    alot of hassle for a couble of degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 chrisinwestcork

hi sorry could not find a date when u posted but have u tried nordman roofing sheets? they offer a pre insulated option i have used then and am very pleased with the out come, sorry if this is too late and ur roofed already but look at it this way, ur roofed! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭corboy

Thanks for that link, very interesting, might contact them, galvanised style look is what we are going for so if we could get the sheets without the tile effect would be ideal, I'll get the missus to look at it tonight,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

Tegrals Melbourn slate will work at a 15° pitch with a max 5.5m rafter length

This slate looks like a natural slate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

there are a few options,
    Slate with double felt or kingspan panel below
    Zinc
    Copper
    Zinc'/copper like roofing membrane with standing seam, if the roof isnt highly visable this could be cheaper and its finisged with metal around eaves etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I used the Tegral Melboure for a pitch of about 17 degrees. Have Capco Cromleight on the rest of the roof and it looks fine though the different roofs do not join.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement
Advertisement