Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst result of going without sleep.

Options
  • 12-06-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Okay folks, so what is the worst thing that has ever happened to you as a result of your sleepless ways?

For me, it was definitely the time i fell asleep DURING a job interview. I hadn't sleep for about 3 days before hand ( as happens when i have anything important coming up damn it! ) and while they were asking me a question off i nod. I wake up to 3 people looking at me and asking them am i okay. No real way around it so i just explained that i sometimes ( see always ) have trouble sleeping.

No job for poor D!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Falling asleep in a lecture, than waking up in a panic because I thought I had blurted out something nonsensical aloud. :eek:

Thankfully I hadn't.

Occassionally, when I'm not sleeping well I wake up and fail to see a 12 hour time difference. :o
    e.g. I woke up once at 5am, thought it was 5pm and couldn't think why no-one else was up. Then, about 5 minutes later, it dawned....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I once fell asleep standing up on a bus. I didn't even know you could do that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dragan wrote: »
    No job for poor D!
    You should have told them, "That's what the auto-pilot is for!"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I can't sleep anywhere but in bed! Once after a sleepover where we all stayed up all night, poor little 11 year old me started hallucinating and tried to walk out the living room windows. All my friends were outside playing and there I was up against the huge windows wearing a huge fluorescent yellow t-shirt while my mother tried to drag me back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Falling asleep twice in the one class and being made stand up to stop it hapening a third time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

When GT3 launched, I played it for three solid days ... and nights, with pals from college.
    When I say three days ... I mean, THREE days.

On the third day, Clever trout sleeps on the sofa, fully dressed, to maximise my chances of actually getting up and out for a 12 hour shift from midnight to midday.

After 4 hours kip on the sofa ... my 'day' started with me pouring orange juice into my coffee, spitting it out all over the floor, hauling my flabby carcass into the car ... and driving on autopilot to Sandyford (from Swords), into the building where I had worked 2 years previously.

I was such a zombie, I drove past my 'real' job ... and only twigged it when the security guard from my old job recognised me, and asked if I was alright (clearly not)

Not my finest hour :o ... I wouldn't dream of driving now if I was that tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭goodburger

I used to work for BOI and i was in the puter room, however, my shift was 8 to 8 and i got off at 8am one morning and slept for about 2 hours and then drove home and during my drive home a guy backed out of a parking space and reversed right into me, it was not my fault happily but that is the worst thing that happened to me after the fact. during the fact is another thing tho hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Fell asleep getting my haircut much to the amusement of everyone around. I used to fall asleep in taxis the whole time even going into work! Also had a similar incident to square_igloo once too. Stayed after work drinking one night with one of the other managers till about 4 I think, so not too late. We were both due back in work at 6.30pm the next day. I woke up at 7am thinking I was late for work and rang the other guy to wake him up too! :p 15 mins later I was half dressed and realised what happened. Needless to say, he wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

on the falling asleep in lecture things, i did once fall asleep during a special maths lecture in trinners ona saturday morning for LC maths... not just normal classroom sleeping, i curled up in a ball and had my jumper as a pillow, and may have hit my mate when she attempted to wake me...

later, when everyone clapped when he was gone, i had a small heart attack at the noise, and woke up with this crazy panicked face on me, while clapping...

did get a bit depressed a few years ago and went three weeks living on toast and 8hrs sleep altogether. that fucked me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Falling asleep on the 77a bus.
    I got on in Dame Street, intending to get off in Walkinstown.
    However, it being the night after the Superbowl, (me not sleeping) falling asleep was inevitable.
    I wake up, an hour later, in Jobstown
    It was like that episode of the simpsons where Lisa stays on the bus too long and the bus driver says ''End of the line'' in a sinister voice.
    Anyway, I ended up having to walk as there were no more buses (it being past midnight) and anyone who knows will know that the walk from Jobstown is a lonely and unpleasant one... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Falling alseep at a bus stop. Standing

Falling asleep on the bus to work and waking up about ten stops away. Apparently the entire job saw me sailing past on the bus with me face against the window, snoring. When i made it into the office half of the floor stood up and gave me a round of applause. :pac:

the worst one: getting straight off an eighteenish hour flight to the phillippines and our host decided to f**k with us so he kept us up into the early hours lecturing on philosophy, we all took turns kicking each other under the table as we nodded off but in the end it was no use. Weirdest feeling to know that your eyes are closing but you just cant open them again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

First year in college. Stayed up all night playing soul calibre drunk as a skunk. Went into one of the lectures still half cut. I ended up falling asleep, leaning to one side with my head hanging back and drool coming out of my mouth. Not long after I let out a loud snore. The lecturer was pretty sound and just laughed it off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

First year in college. Stayed up all night playing soul calibre drunk as a skunk. Went into one of the lectures still half cut. I ended up falling asleep, leaning to one side with my head hanging back and drool coming out of my mouth. Not long after I let out a loud snore. The lecturer was pretty sound and just laughed it off.

Christ I did that once with half a bottle of Jager in me. Lecturer was going on about search algorithms and data storage.

Might as well have been welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i feel asleep in school and only woke up after 5 minutes of being called when the teacher tapped me on the back of the head.darn book sucking me in and eating my night

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dolphinius

After 3-4 days of no/bad sleep it's the dreaming that does me in. I start dreaming when I'm awake.
    Life can look very, very weird when the sub-conscious starts kicking in.
    Sounds are really strange and hearing snippets of converstations from people passing by can lead to very interesting story lines.
    Very hard to concentrate and make sense of what people are saying to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I fell asleep in the barbers while the guy was washing my hair before...slightly embarrassing to say the least!

Back in my school days I'd often have sleep deprived nights and spend entire classes asleep, the teachers were fine with it though as they recognised that I was a) Probably wrecked and b) Stoned and c) Was doing fine in the exams regardless.

dolphinius wrote: »
    After 3-4 days of no/bad sleep it's the dreaming that does me in. I start dreaming when I'm awake.
    Life can look very, very weird when the sub-conscious starts kicking in.
    Sounds are really strange and hearing snippets of converstations from people passing by can lead to very interesting story lines.
    Very hard to concentrate and make sense of what people are saying to you.

oh man, i ****ing HATE that. even wehn im not that sleep deprived, but sitting on a bus a lil drowsy (public transport is for sleeping on), i hate all that crap going on.. it's well weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

fell asleep on the night link upstairs and ended up waking up in the bus wash in phibsboro bus depot nearly s**T myself with the fright!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I hadn't slept this one time for at least two days due to work and insomnia. I fainted in the house I was living in at the time, in the hallway. Bumped my head on the wall on the way down as there was a mark left there when I woke.

When I woke up, I was totally disorientated and thought I had slept for a few hours and had sleepwalked. Lump on head, and 12 hours sleep were the result of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Falling asleep on the 77a bus.
    I got on in Dame Street, intending to get off in Walkinstown.
    However, it being the night after the Superbowl, (me not sleeping) falling asleep was inevitable.
    I wake up, an hour later, in Jobstown
    It was like that episode of the simpsons where Lisa stays on the bus too long and the bus driver says ''End of the line'' in a sinister voice.
    Anyway, I ended up having to walk as there were no more buses (it being past midnight) and anyone who knows will know that the walk from Jobstown is a lonely and unpleasant one... :rolleyes:

The 77a stops at the square it doesn't go to jobstown........

• Advertisement

VIS VIRES wrote: »
    The 77a stops at the square it doesn't go to jobstown........
    possibly the 77?
    Or near jobstown
    ...don't know the area that well tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

I suppose when you're tired you'll get on any bus:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

This post has been deleted.

yeah i done that a lot this year and im doin 2 LC exams tommorow
    so we'll see what my worst result is in september:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fell asleep in a freezer at work! taht could ahve killed me. I liked in college when a girl fell asleep and fell off her chair flat on the face in the aisle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've gone without sleep for 48hrs plus the odd time.
    Hallucinations FTW.

anyone else start seeing and hearing stuff thats not there when they're really tired?

i used to work few-day shifts at a time and get that towards the end of it.

Nothing major, few hallucinations/mad day dreams.

When I was pissed I fell asleep on the 15N on the way home before. Rookie mistake, as it ends up in Tallaght (was meant to be getting off at Rathfarnham).

anyone else start seeing and hearing stuff thats not there when they're really tired?
    Oh yes. I once was convinced I was hearing the Amhrán na bhFiann in my house. Turned out it was the microwave... gah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Oh yes. I once was convinced I was hearing the Amhrán na bhFiann in my house. Turned out it was the microwave... gah!

lol :D

I was full sure that i had accidently hit the woman that was beside me on the 90 bus into town, i had dozed off and woke up at the IFSC and was full sure i'd hit her in my sleep, I was all apologies and she was like WTF??... twas funny!!

Advertisement