Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Advice Wanted] Info about Corrib Village NUIG

• 12-06-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey,
    I've recently been hearing alot of mixed things about Corrib village, at first i heard only good things, that it was the place to go and it was right beside the uni(which is good because i wake up very late and was late for every class i had in secondary school cuz of the cycle).

One girl i know who is going into her second year in nuig said she wished she went to corrib village as the place she went to wasnt very first-yeary, I do have intial moeity paid since ages ago but i can get that back after if i change my mind.

I do hear on the other hand that it is a sty and badly run and the way there is dangerous by night.

Now i dont know what to belive and would hope someone could clarify for me(preferablly with events if bad and what not) living in corrib village is like.

Merci beaucoup in advance <3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's great for making friends and having fun in first year. Not great if you want to study. They had a bit of a riot there last year (thread in Galway or NUIG forums I think) and the Gardai had to be called. It must be said that I never stayed there but I've heard a lot about it.

I suggest doing a search of the NUIG forum. There's loads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

The place is brill craic. During freshers week, rag week, pretty much every Thursday night, the place is always teeming with people out in the yard drinking cans, kicking ball, having a good time, mingling, on the pull etc. From my experience around there, on nights out people just go around from apartment to apartment looking for house parties, and there's an everyone's friends with everyone kind of atmosphere. So I suppose that adds to your risk of you apartment being robbed/vandalised. Lets just say it wouldn't be uncommon for a crazy drunk first year to let off a fire entinguisher in your apartment, or to rob all your spuds.

I don't understand why people give out about the place's conditions, if you keep your apartment in good nick it's A1, maybe not as plush as Góirt, but still good.

As for it being dangerous, that's absolute bull, it's all students living in that area and it's right beside the campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clirion

Ty for the replies, really put my heart at ease. Just got one more question tho, im 17, last time i went to galway i only got into one place. A friend of mine said to get someone who looks like ya's student card as quickly as problem, but still sounds like a no show.

so yea my question, nights out in galway, was it just my hard luck that night and with that really bad id i had or is it always rather strict there?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

clirion wrote: »
    Ty for the replies, really put my heart at ease. Just got one more question tho, im 17, last time i went to galway i only got into one place. A friend of mine said to get someone who looks like ya's student card as quickly as problem, but still sounds like a no show.

Yeah get someone's ID who looks like you, but be smart and polite and you should have no problems. The bouncers have to look after hundreds of drunk first years, so really you're the last of their concerns. But if you get turned away, try somewhere else.

Not that I'd condone underage drinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clirion

lol i have great problem with the fact that they say you have to be 18 to drink, i see the sense why but i just finished my leaving cert(woot woot) and the ppl who are 18 in my year, im just as mature as them if not more mature but because i've just turned 17 i cant do the same things they can. Not that im all that bothered cuz im not a big drinker but the option ya'know?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement