Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Driving albums

• 12-06-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭

I'm putting this in this forum 'cos I am a rock fan and this will be about rock/metal albums.

Just wondering what are ye're favourite driving albums. I noticed that I've good few in the car at the moment that I seldom listen to outside the car, yet listen to them religiously in it. I'll give ten of me favourite, it's up to yourselves how many you out in :p

All that Remains-Fozzy
    Vulgar-Pantera
    Best of the Almighty
    Demanufacture-Fear Factory
    Blood Stained Words-Beyond All Reason
    Surfing with the Alien- Joe Satriani
    Stranger in this town-Richie Sambora
    October Rust-Type O Negative
    Heaven and Hell-Circus of Power
    The Wrong Side of Misery-Itchy Trigger Finger

Although the last two are played quite a lot in the house too:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Now I dont drive, but if I ever learn, I am definately gonna drive through the American desert listening to R by QOTSA...just seems such a perfect album for that sort of thing.

Other than that I dont really have much of an opinion on it, but maybe some ones I may think now that could be good driving albums would:

7th Son of a 7th Son-Iron Maiden
    Permission to Land-The Darkness
    Songs for the Deaf-QOTSA(the whole radio theme going through the album!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

When I am on a pretty long drive I generally listen to songs with long bits in them, Im a big fan of 'krautrock' which I know is not everyone's cup of tea, so I'd listen to this

Kraftwerk - AutoBahn is handmade for this
    But Neu! and Agitation Free also seem to make the time pass quickly

I'd also listen to prog - like Suppers ready by Genesis or echoes by Pink Floyd.

God I'm an old fart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dave H wrote: »
    Demanufacture-Fear Factory
    Good shout with that one!

Generally I don't draw a distinction between music I like and music I like to listen to while driving. Often what I do is simply take my favourite songs by a band and throw as many of them as possible onto a cd and listen to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Trying to think of songs with driving related terms in the title;

'Highway Star' - Deep Purple.
    'Space Truckin'- Deep Purple.
    'Fuel'- Metallica.
    '502'- Megadeth ('502' is the American police code for Drink Driving).
    'Whiplash'- Metallica.

I'll think of some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UFO - Strangers in the Night
    Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream
    Kraftwerk - Autobahn (the track, but its half the album so thats okay!)
    Jeff Becks Guitar Shop.

I tend to compile mixtapes I have to say - mixing rock, jazz, downtempo/electric

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Can - stuff like Yoo Doo Write and Oh Yeah. Great rhythms.

Also Southern Rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Allman Brothers and ZZTop (the early albums) is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Metallica - Metallica
    Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
    Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    Tool - Undertow
    Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Can - stuff like Yoo Doo Write and Oh Yeah. Great rhythms.

Also Southern Rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Allman Brothers and ZZTop (the early albums) is great.

ha ha I remember a particularly long drive with Can's Tago Mago playing which was cool with my wife all the way through Paperhouse, Oh Yeah , hallelujah etc until we got to Augggmmmmmmmnnnn, it really drove her up the wall
    :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

QOTSA
    Deftones
    Zeppelin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Rush have some great driving albums, Permanent Waves(maybe skip Entre Nous though) and Moving Picture are great. Driving on the M50 listening to Red Barchetta is a sure fire way to get done by a speed camera:mad:
    The new album is great stuff too. One time I left the house with it in the cd player from the last drive and the last track, We Hold On came on first - it was perfect even though I wasn't have a barney with the misses:pac: and that set up the rest of the album for the rest of the trip - so thats the way I usually play it now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Whitesnake. And lots of it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Rush - Different Stages, a triple live CD which is just perfect for driving across the country!

One thing I really liked about driving in California was being able to search thourgh the radio frequencies to find a rock station, whenever it would fade out it was always possible to find another one (just search until you hear Metallica's 'Sad but true'!)
    Driving on the M50 listening to Red Barchetta is a sure fire way to get done by a speed camera

That song always makes me go faster! 'Malignant Narcissism' is another one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

peter1892 wrote: »
    One thing I really liked about driving in California was being able to search thourgh the radio frequencies to find a rock station, whenever it would fade out it was always possible to find another one
    I totally agree. I worked as a furniture mover in northern California for the in summer 2001 and each morning we used to head out in the trucks with the windows down and the likes of Godsmack, Metallica, Linkin Park and Deftones blasting out of the radio. It was great, even the most beat up trucks had working radios so we never needed to worry about having something to listen to.

I'll save a rant about the middle of the road rubbish broadcast during the day by the radio stations in this country for another thread :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

appetite is a class drivin album! so's back in black! doesnt get much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Motorhead!

Motley Crue too and Poison ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

The soundtrack for 'Collateral'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In Flames - Come Clarity
    Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding
    Therapy? - Scopophobia
    Garbage - Version 2.0
    Gogol Bordello - Multi Kontra Kulti vs Irony
    System of a Down -System of a Down

or alternatively
    Sublime - Robbing the Hood
    Brahms - Double Concerto for Violin and Cello
    Alison Krauss and Union Station - So Long So Wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Definitely Krautrock for the win. There's a reason they call that distinctive beat a Motorik rhythm.

Driving at night is awesome listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Earth's later albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

You drive to this? Do other road users survive?!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have to say, I prefer most stoner bands while driving. Especially on a sunny day, but my favourite bands to listen to while driving are Down, Kyuss, Opeth, Sabbath and In Flames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I think Oasis is great driving music:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I could really p1ss everyone off here by mentioning 'rolling' by limp wristed as a song with a driving related title. Theres also 'Hyperspeed' by the Prodigy (which is the nearest you'll get to a dance-metal song). 'I've been driving in my car' by Madness is another- not quite metal but the lyrics are cool.

And theres a thread on this forum talking about a band called clutch- oh, the hilarity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Actually, I'll take Clutch as my driving music. You could see yourself driving down Route 66 listening to 'Electric Worry' no problem.

Though I'm mostly in a podcast mood in the car for some reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Deftones around the fur
    metallica-the black album
    earth crisis-breed the killers
    acidtone-acidtone
    korn-korn
    metallica-kill em all

there the once id listen to if i were able to drive :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Dire Strait's self-titled debut album I find is good for more 'relaxed' driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

nowt too heavy while driving, AC/DC if you want blood .. or some Zeppelin.
    Soundgarden are pretty good for a road trip , something to sing along to anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ToolFool

Lateralus - Tool
    South of Heaven - Slayer
    Peace sells.... - Megadeth
    Any Beatles stuff when i'm trying to avoid getting points!!
    Good thread by the way.

Advertisement