Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you always get your first choice in arts?

• 12-06-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Right I'm planning on doing french and english for arts in ucc, and they'll be my first choices, but if I only got a C1 in french, would I be refused a place for people who had gotten higher scores or will everyone be accomadated?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You're guaranteed to get your first two choices.
    The remaining two out of the other four you've chosen will hopefully be given to you in order of preference but there's no guarantees on them and stuff like numbers and grades could come into play.

But yes, if you put English and French down first you should get them.

I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I think...

:P:P
    thanks! but i REALLY need to know for certain lol
    Cause I only wanna do french and english, and if i don't get french and I end up doing 4 years of english or italian, which is an ugly language in my opinion, i'll kill myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    :P:P
    thanks! but i REALLY need to know for certain lol
    Cause I only wanna do french and english, and if i don't get french and I end up doing 4 years of english or italian, which is an ugly language in my opinion, i'll kill myself!!
    Italian and French are very similar from my experiences

Italian and French are very similar from my experiences

i think italian is too........harsh:Pfrench is more musical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Holly Golightly

Right I'm planning on doing french and english for arts in ucc

Me too :D and as far as I know you always get your two first choices... that's what it says on the site anyways. Or the prospectus. One of em :)

• Advertisement

The entry requirements are for Arts as a whole. Once you get the application form you will get number one and two almost always and then, as the others have said, 3 and 4 can be tricky but you usually get them.

Oh and, little tip, if you go to the essay writing seminar on Day 1, only go if you ARE doing French cause it's the French Dept. who give it and after a 1 hour lecture you get told this gem:

"Of course, each Dept. sets it's own criteria and therefore this lecture only really applies to those of you choosing to study French *audible groan from Boole 4*."

Also, if you sit in the middle section at the back left hand side of Boole 4 you can still get mobile reception. Very handy if you choose to do History in 2nd year. I love the subject but MY GOD some of the mandatory classes are tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Oh and, little tip, if you go to the essay writing seminar on Day 1, only go if you ARE doing French cause it's the French Dept. who give it and after a 1 hour lecture you get told this gem:

"Of course, each Dept. sets it's own criteria and therefore this lecture only really applies to those of you choosing to study French *audible groan from Boole 4*."

Ah yes, I remember being told the exact same thing, only it seemed to be more of an audible laugh than an audible groan, strangely enough....
    Also, if you sit in the middle section at the back left hand side of Boole 4 you can still get mobile reception. Very handy if you choose to do History in 2nd year. I love the subject but MY GOD some of the mandatory classes are tedious.

You wouldn't mind telling us exactly which manditory classes are the most tedious?:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

The subjects get divided up into groups every year and you can pick your subjects from the groups just no 2 subjects from one group.

CommieBaz wrote: »
    You wouldn't mind telling us exactly which manditory classes are the most tedious?:)

1 word: Mervyn. Christ the man only has one tone of voice. It never EVER goes up or down. The man cured my insomnia through weekly sessions over Enlightenment history and Roman history in 2nd and 1st year respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

If you mean Mervyn O' Driscoll, then I fell your pain!

• Advertisement

Indeed it was Merv O'Driscoll. A hero of monotone historical education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HMC

Right I'm planning on doing french and english for arts in ucc, and they'll be my first choices, but if I only got a C1 in french, would I be refused a place for people who had gotten higher scores or will everyone be accomadated?

If you're planning on studying English at third level, you should brush up on your spelling. French and English are spelled with capitals letters. Secondly, 'accomadated' (sic) should read 'accommodated'.

HMC wrote: »
    If you're planning on studying English at third level, you should brush up on your spelling. French and English are spelled with capitals letters. Secondly, 'accomadated' (sic) should read 'accommodated'.

I would advise you to check your use of commas; such as, "Secondly, 'accomadated'...".

You really should not attack another poster for their spelling errors when you cannot use a semi-colon instead of a comma where appropriate. I am depressed that you may have attended the same college as I did and have no concept of grammar while enjoying a healthy (and undeserved) superiority complex.

Glass houses and stones my grammatically challenged friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Now now there are worse teachers then Mervyn, some of the philosophy, politics and government teachers are boring and ****e.

He is quite a good marker as well imo, nice enough guy.

OP, you should automatically get your first two choices, and I at least got my 3rd and 4th choices, so I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Grammar Naziism is not acceptable on this forum, nor is wandering off topic. This forum is about UCC, and only about UCC, how to correctly use the English language is not up for discussion here.

HMC wrote: »

i'm sorry but.........how sad are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

I would advise you to be very careful about your choices. Back then I remember being really adament about wanting to do French and History, my third and fourth were English and Philosophy. Anyway, English fills up quickly so I had to make a snap decision and take Archaeology. I regret this now as it turns out university level french isn't my forte and I really should have taken English.

Also, if you are really interested in French, look into taking Language and Cultural studies. It's a CAO option that you may not of put down, but you can transfer over with not much hassle. Follows the same course as a normal arts degree but you get to spend a year pissing it up in France. Ahh C'est La Vie!

I would advise you to be very careful about your choices. Back then I remember being really adament about wanting to do French and History, my third and fourth were English and Philosophy. Anyway, English fills up quickly so I had to make a snap decision and take Archaeology. I regret this now as it turns out university level french isn't my forte and I really should have taken English.

Also, if you are really interested in French, look into taking Language and Cultural studies. It's a CAO option that you may not of put down, but you can transfer over with not much hassle. Follows the same course as a normal arts degree but you get to spend a year pissing it up in France. Ahh C'est La Vie!

that last bit appeals to me alot ! :)
    but it turns out that i only got a C2 in french where as i needed a C1 so i'm repeating, the joys of it all, but by the end of the year i'll be bloody fluent or else!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

C2 in French, thats a reasonable result. If its still the same as five years ago when I came here, that's fine for getting into french through arts but not language and cultural studies as I got a C2 myself.

If you still have time... I really don't think you need to repeat. Take a place in general arts if you can. Pick your four subjects (with french of course). When you're going into second year, you can apply to the French department to change your route to language and culture studies.

Of course over time all things change, this is the phone number of the admissions office in UCC, 021 4903233. Give them a call now, they'll be able to tell you straight up if it's enough and if not they'll tell you somebody who will.

I made some big mistakes with French and would hate to see someone going down the same road as me. After a lazy second year in college where I scraped through everything except the French Grammer Module, I decided to spend a year repeating just this 4 hour a week course. Suffice to say that didn't work out and hey I'm only now finishing off my BA:o!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

hey can anyone tell me what these subjects in UCC arts are like asap:
    Irish
    English
    Philosophy
    Chinese Studies
    Math Studies

would be a great help!!thanks! :)people who've done them themselves would be extremely handy but even if you've just heard what they're like it could help! thank you :)

• Advertisement

C2 in French, thats a reasonable result. If its still the same as five years ago when I came here, that's fine for getting into french through arts but not language and cultural studies as I got a C2 myself.

If you still have time... I really don't think you need to repeat. Take a place in general arts if you can. Pick your four subjects (with french of course). When you're going into second year, you can apply to the French department to change your route to language and culture studies.

Of course over time all things change, this is the phone number of the admissions office in UCC, 021 4903233. Give them a call now, they'll be able to tell you straight up if it's enough and if not they'll tell you somebody who will.

I made some big mistakes with French and would hate to see someone going down the same road as me. After a lazy second year in college where I scraped through everything except the French Grammer Module, I decided to spend a year repeating just this 4 hour a week course. Suffice to say that didn't work out and hey I'm only now finishing off my BA:o!

need a C1 still:(
    in fact the only languages i cud do is spanish or italian!! but oh well
    i dont mind repeating it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

2022rae wrote: »
    Irish
    English
    Philosophy
    Chinese Studies
    Math Studies

I've friends that did Irish and Philosophy. They liked the Irish and are taking it into 2nd year. Philosophy they used as a timetable filler but I think they got on alright with it.

Mathematical Studies afaik is kind of a "basic" maths course - it's not as advanced as the Mathematics module.
    For most careers, even a maths teacher, Mathematical Studies is more than enough. I would say only do Mathematics if you have a deep interest in Maths, or are very very good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

Anyone know anything about Chinese Studies as 1st Arts subject i.e. how difficult is it & is it interesting? I'm stuck for a 4th subject due to timetable clash on two of my choices.

That's in UCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 randomcorkgirl

Personally I wouldnt do english in Arts in UCC.
    I done it this year and i was awful!
    They had too many students apply and then allowed them all so this meant that they had to split the lectures and we were only allowed go to half of them which meant that the other half were available on podcast type things it was so stupid! no1 went to lectures!
    French is appantly good though! my friend got it and he only did ordinary level so u prob shouldnt worry!
    my suggestion is do chinese aswell i did and i loved it. great lectures and tutors and u dont need any previous learning in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm sure you'll get in based on grades. I'm not sure what's been going on here regarding grades, there's different opinions. If you have the basic grade needed they'll still accomodate you as far as I know.
    1 word: Mervyn. Christ the man only has one tone of voice. It never EVER goes up or down. The man cured my insomnia through weekly sessions over Enlightenment history and Roman history in 2nd and 1st year respectively.

Mike Cosgrave done the Enlighenment history and other sections of History this year, my lord he was terrible. Raced through it and expected everyone to have ideas of what he's talking about!
    Ancee wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about Chinese Studies as 1st Arts subject i.e. how difficult is it & is it interesting? I'm stuck for a 4th subject due to timetable clash on two of my choices.

In passing I was talking to a friend about Chinese Studies who dropped out of it after two weeks. She hated it, couldn't grasp what the course had and just flat out didn't like it. She switched to European studies, didn't like it too much but passed it. Don't take my word for it cos other people might know more about it.
    2022rae wrote: »
    Irish
    English
    Philosophy
    Chinese Studies
    Math Studies

Again only new a few people in passing who done Irish. They pretty much breezed through it. One guy had a brilliant standard of Irish and found it mind numbingly boring. Another few people said it was 'grand like'. But again, search around for more info.

I done English in 1st year and was fine for me. I liked the subject and worked with it if some parts were difficult. If you have the interest you should be fine.

*Edit. Just looked at a couple of dates there and figured I might be late with some information. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Orizio wrote: »
    Now now there are worse teachers then Mervyn, some of the philosophy, politics and government teachers are boring and ****e.

He is quite a good marker as well imo, nice enough guy.

OP, you should automatically get your first two choices, and I at least got my 3rd and 4th choices, so I wouldn't worry.
    Politics you say? I'm thinking of doing economics and politics, not too sure about the other subjects though. I'd love to do religions and global diversity but alas, they clash.

Politics you say? I'm thinking of doing economics and politics, not too sure about the other subjects though. I'd love to do religions and global diversity but alas, they clash.

Politics was great for me in first year. Don't mind the others, yer man Meryven didn't teach in it, he might in 2nd year etc.
    It's a good course if you've an interest in the subject. Irish Politcs, Political Philosophy and International Politics (International Relations) are all lectured in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Politics was great for me in first year. Don't mind the others, yer man Meryven didn't teach in it, he might in 2nd year etc.
    It's a good course if you've an interest in the subject. Irish Politcs, Political Philosophy and International Politics (International Relations) are all lectured in!
    Oh cool, thanks. What about history? I didn't do it for leaving cert cause in junior cert it just bored me..

Oh cool, thanks. What about history? I didn't do it for leaving cert cause in junior cert it just bored me..

Well it's vastly different from Junior Cert History, meaning there's a higher element of detail and focus on modern aspects of it in College, it's also far more interesting.

Like in 1st History you study East & West in the times of Romans etc. To be completely honest I stayed away from this and was incredibly bored of it. I studied certain aspects of the course myself cos the Lecturers were awful.

You study a Modern Irish aspect of the course for the first semester which is far better and Gabriel Doherty is a great lecturer.

In the second semester you choose an option which you have for a couple of hours a week, these include the crusades, American Foreigh Policy (Cold War), Age Of Extremes 1918-1945 and Anti-Semitism in History, there may be another but I'm not sure of it now.

You should check it up on the UCC Book of Modules for more information. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but the information above is the general idea of it

If you're bored to tears by History, stay away! But if you have an interest in it, you'll have to focus and work hard in it cos most people who study it may have done it in the Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

most people who study it may have done it in the Leaving Cert.

wouldnt totally agree there. most people i have bumped into or chatted to didnt do it for the leaving. i didnt even do it for the junior! but i just kinda wanted to try something new and i was told By a teacher that it was amazing, and i was quite interested, also i was kinda looking to fill a spot so took it up. kinda crazy I KNOW I wouldnt really suggest doing what i did, but it worked out well for me, love it and def keeping it to degree. it does make it a little harder as i have do some more readin to get the besic idea in SOME areas. but its mostly stuff that isnt familiar to most people. its an amazing course and you learn pretty interesting stuff.

i would def reccomend it if you have an interest otherwise give it a skip..:D

Edit: reacher creature i thought the lectuers for the east and west module were deadly, much more interesting that doherty, but i guess its all about interests!!:p

Advertisement