Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick congrats to Sinn Fein (Yes you read it right)

Options
  • 12-06-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭

For all the bad (legit) things said about them alot of parties could learn from the effectiveness of their ground zero work. Had a guy call to the house at 9pm to remind me to make my vote. Told him I already had, seemed like a nice enough guy and we chatted for a couple of minutes about the treaty and turnout etc. Felt like if I hadn't voted he would have give me a lift to the polling station :)

I know they like everyone else have an agenda, but the effect of low pressure door to door calls an not be over estimated! Credit where credit is due.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I was saying the same thing myself earlier on. They are effective campaigners if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I bet that if a YFG campaigner came to your door with the same sort of attitude but wanting you to vote the other way. You would be coming on here raging about be bullied and coerced into voting because the politicians told you to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Here in Ballyfermot they often run buses etc. to the centre.

I'm only 18, but I can drive so with the old man in work today I spent the day driving relatives/ old people down to the centre.....they're constantly doing that..... i was the independent option today

They oviously have an agenda, I wouldn't be mad on them (Wouldn't vote them in locals/generals. I'd vote Mary Lou- shes a fantastic MEP (see Youtube) maybe second to Patricia McKenna or vice versa, but thats it...Mary Lous ex FF, and not exactly an Army Council head :rolleyes: Thats more a vote on Europe at present for me than a vote for SF.

But yeah, the Shinners can mobilise alright.
    There is nobody as effective as SF on the ground.

**always remember, before giving them too much credit: they're in government in the north. and its not a workers paradise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Felt like if I hadn't voted he would have give me a lift to the polling station :)
    He most likely would have. They transported all the older people around here to the polling station during the last election. It's a subtle tactic they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

sink wrote: »
    I bet that if a YFG campaigner came to your door with the same sort of attitude but wanting you to vote the other way. You would be coming on here raging about be bullied and coerced into voting because the politicians told you to.

I guess, but he had an effective way around it asked did i vote? I said yes. He said good to here and asked what I thought of the treaty (sneaky way of asking how I voted ;) ) so it was never really an issue. I'm sure he used the same tactic not to offend the yes voters

But still sink would you care to speculate if you could swap FF ability to campaign over this treaty with SF. I know which side I trusted more to get votes (even if I don't approve of the same dispicable scare tactics both sides used)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

PrivateEye wrote: »
    They oviously have an agenda, I wouldn't be mad on them (Wouldn't vote them in locals/generals. I'd vote Mary Lou- shes a fantastic MEP (see Youtube) maybe second to Patricia McKenna or vice versa, but thats it...Mary Lous ex FF, and not exactly an Army Council head :rolleyes: Thats more a vote on Europe at present for me than a vote for SF.
    McKenna? The harpie who thinks vaccines cause autism? I don't know much about Marylou to be honest, but I wouldn't like how she twisted the commissioner issue (omitting the fact that we already signed the deal with Nice), and there's no way she honestly thinks we can negotiate a better deal.
    **always remember, before giving them too much credit: they're in government in the north. and its not a workers paradise :pac:
    As much as I dislike Sinn Féin, you can't blame them for this one. SDLP would have just as much trouble trying to get reforms through the DUP. It is a bit disconcerting that they seem to be more concerned about the Irish language then the Irish people at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

In retrospect you may be right...
    I never liked Patricia McKenna until I seen her laying into Pat Cox, who I find to be as annoying as a bad rash. Post-Lisbon (We know live in post-Lisbon referendum Ireland :cool: about time...) I may well go back to not liking her. Yeah, I will actually. All I respect about her is that she retained her politics when the Greens got into government- unlike Eamonn Ryan, who probably works weekends in the local Shell :rolleyes:

You're right but....McKenna has come out with some loopy ****e.

Mary Lou is a very good politician though. Not a fan of the shinners, but if shes the future of the party they're bound to grow in leaps and bounds. Very popular, learned her trade in FF, and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

ShooterSF wrote: »
    But still sink would you care to speculate if you could swap FF ability to campaign over this treaty with SF. I know which side I trusted more to get votes (even if I don't approve of the same dispicable methods both sides used)

There are certain things SF did better than FF/FG/LP/GP/PD but that still doesn't take away from the facts that they lied about what is in the actual treaty. I'm not saying the others didn't speculate on the impact of the treaty with little regard for the likelihood of any of those outcomes, in order to swing votes (which I didn't agree with). But I did not see them lie about what is actually in the treaty itself. For instance I just dloaded one of SF's leaflets and it says the treaty cuts our voting strength on the council in half, which is plainly false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

clown bag wrote: »
    He most likely would have. They transported all the older people around here to the polling station during the last election. It's a subtle tactic they use.

Whatever the motivation, fair play at least to them for providing a public service. I suppose it is down their alley, being lefties and all that.

There are certain things SF did better than FF/FG/LP/GP/PD but that still doesn't take away from the facts that they lied about what is in the actual treaty.
    Very true. It's their work ethic I admire, not what they were actually saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I got 3 texts from Fianna Fail and a call from Brain Cowen today to remind me to vote and family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So did Sinn Fein win the Treaty?, Fair play if they did, It's nice to see the little guy win once in a while:D

+1 for the People & Sinn Fein!

PrivateEye wrote: »
    In retrospect you may be right...
    I never liked Patricia McKenna until I seen her laying into Pat Cox, who I find to be as annoying as a bad rash. Post-Lisbon (We know live in post-Lisbon referendum Ireland :cool: about time...) I may well go back to not liking her. Yeah, I will actually. All I respect about her is that she retained her politics when the Greens got into government- unlike Eamonn Ryan, who probably works weekends in the local Shell :rolleyes:

You're right but....McKenna has come out with some loopy ****e.

Mary Lou is a very good politician though. Not a fan of the shinners, but if shes the future of the party they're bound to grow in leaps and bounds. Very popular, learned her trade in FF, and it shows.

I think Mary lou harmed the sinners tbh. A lot of their activists were unhappy with her being parachuted in to portray a more acceptable middle class image. From their point of view I think those activists have a point. It was an image make over which I'm not sure worked for them.

Speaking of mc kenna, she was always a bit out there but like you said she's still a green in a not very recognisable green party. I also find her election posters make me curious. She has a fun quirky mischievous look about her that makes you wonder how she would preform in certain things not necessarily politically in nature. She just has that look. (maybe I should have posted this last paragraph in personal issues :o )

There are certain things SF did better than FF/FG/LP/GP/PD but that still doesn't take away from the facts that they lied about what is in the actual treaty. I'm not saying the others didn't speculate on the impact of the treaty with little regard for the likelihood of any of those outcomes, in order to swing votes (which I didn't agree with). But I did not see them lie about what is actually in the treaty itself. For instance I just dloaded one of SF's leaflets and it says the treaty cuts our voting strength on the council in half, which is plainly false.

Ah I've been debating issues of what each parties and "independent" commissions said and I hold them all accountable of at least doing no more than, picking parts of the truth, using buzz words, a picture of themselves and how to vote with nothing else, vague statements without explanation and downright lying I'm exhausted at this point over it and I feel we're heading that way again so I'll stop now.

Badabing wrote: »
    I got 3 texts from Fianna Fail and a call from Brain Cowen today to remind me to vote and family and friends.

Yea damn intrusive bastards :D:D:D (just in case, I am only joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think Mary lou harmed the sinners tbh. A lot of their activists were unhappy with her being parachuted in to portray a more acceptable middle class image. From their point of view I think those activists have a point. It was an image make over which I'm not sure worked for them.

I don't like parachute candidates. She lives in Clonsilla afaik so why was she running for Dublin Central, an area she had little connection to.
    It didn't work out anyway.
    The top 4 candidates that I can think of all live in Dublin Central and have a track record in the area.
    I realise she was an MEP so not much chance to do constituency work but she should represent her own area.

I've no time for Sinn Fein but they are incredibly well organized, no question

Well I got a lot of stuff from Fine Gael, increasing to almost daily texts and emails over the last week or two, and an email from Labour, but I suspect that's because I'm a member of one and signed up for the other's newsletter a good while ago. I didn't have a single councillor at my door, FG, SF or otherwise, which disappointed me tbh, but SF are recognized as being very effective grassroots politicians and for that I admire them. But I would never vote for them.

micmclo wrote: »
    I don't like parachute candidates. She lives in Clonsilla afaik so why was she running for Dublin Central, an area she had little connection to.
    I reckon the decision to parachute her in ended up costing them a seat they probably would have otherwise won. They got a poor return nationally but had strong local activists in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

From following this treaty debates its become pretty clear Sinn Feins motives. They're going against the grain, being different from the status quo and hope to garner lots of publicity out of been the only side to do this. But although the No side may win I don't see SF progressing much further. Its interesting that bar 8(I think thats SFs total plus a couple of independents) want a yes. I think if it does turn out No, it will be an indicator of what SF are-a protest party. When it comes down to it most people don't vote for them in the GE despite their impressive machine. We don't trust them to run the country but will go with them on Lisbon, an indicator of perhaps of how important we view Europe and what we view of SF as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

They always have very hard working candidates and run their campaigns well on little money. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'd a Fianna Failer do the same thing here. why do Sinn Fein get special mention for this where others dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

i'd a Fianna Failer do the same thing here.

Don't FF organise buses to bring people in rural areas to the polling stations. Good idea really, probably win them some more votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

this would be the time to use the NO thanks button....

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I think Mary lou harmed the sinners tbh. A lot of their activists were unhappy with her being parachuted in to portray a more acceptable middle class image.

Ah, in fairness you know the real problem they had with her is that she hasn't been in prison and has no facial hair, the true marks of dedicated republicans. :D

On topic: I do respect the work ethic of Sinn Féin, they do appear to me to try harder than many other political parties and it's only fair to praise that. That said, I'm highly unlikely to ever vote for them unless they really change quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

IRLConor wrote: »
    Ah, in fairness you know the real problem they had with her is that she hasn't been in prison and has no facial hair, the true marks of dedicated republicans. :D

On topic: I do respect the work ethic of Sinn Féin, they do appear to me to try harder than many other political parties and it's only fair to praise that. That said, I'm highly unlikely to ever vote for them unless they really change quite a bit.
    Fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I can respect Sinn Fein's work ethic and the huge level of effort they've been putting for quite a while now into building a voter base for themselves in this country. Even if you detest them, they do a very good job of getting the vote out, especially when you consider that much of their potential voters are from groups that traditionally aren't likely to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I think the no side was far better organised than the yes side and had me genuinely believing their lies and spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

Speaking of mc kenna, she was always a bit out there but like you said she's still a green in a not very recognisable green party. I also find her election posters make me curious. She has a fun quirky mischievous look about her that makes you wonder how she would preform in certain things not necessarily politically in nature. She just has that look. (maybe I should have posted this last paragraph in personal issues :o )

she was born in the wrong decade , i could see patricia mc kenna in a hippy commune 40 yrs ago where her loony ranting would be seen as being far out ( in a good way of course ) all the while she dished out oceans of free love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭VoidStarNull

BMH wrote: »
    I don't know much about Marylou to be honest, but I wouldn't like how she twisted the commissioner issue (omitting the fact that we already signed the deal with Nice), and there's no way she honestly thinks we can negotiate a better deal.

I'm sure Marylou really thinks we can get a better deal. Sure, it only took them 25 years after Sunningdale to get a better deal out of the Brits.

Oh, it wasn't a better deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

shes not great to look at in real life. not as nice as the posters.

Advertisement