Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Davis stuns Westminster with resignation over 42-day terror law

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Interesting tactics, dont know if he could achieve much though. Not that familiar with British politics, but it would seem to me the best tactics for the government would be not to field a candidate, who might lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Lib Dems said earlier they wouldn't field a candidate. This evening Labour decided not to field a candidate.

Davis now runs the risk of looking ridiculous unless he can spin it that, once again, Brown won't put his policies to the electorate because he knows he will lose.

Bottler Brown again and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A touch of indulgence or standing up for his principles ala Robin Cooke?

I tend to view it as the latter. Of course many will just see him as a fool who has committed career suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Shirley Williams on Question Time on BBC - great quote

"The DUP are the undertakers of every government, they turn up just as they are about to die."

Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a move that could cost him and Davis would be a shoe-in for high office after the next election so he must mean it. I applaud him - the UK is quietly turning into a police state.

That may sound hyperbollic but when you have a local authority spending 6 weeks spying on a woman cos they think she is typing to pull as fast one regarding her choice of school for her children things have gone nuts.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

A pointless and expensive publicity stunt.

If the media treat it as in any way substantive, the end is nigh for the UK.

Advertisement