Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which .243, opinions please

Options
  • 12-06-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

As a sort of a follow on to my previous .243 post, I talked to my new firearms officer and he said no bother licencing a .243:D so now looking for opinions/recomendations for rifles, was thinking either Remington 700 or Savage 12 series but open to suggestions would also like an idea of what sort of money rifles in this calibre make new and second hand.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 30.06

i thinkk that the remington 700 is a great rifle i have a 2 remy 700s and i would never use anything else.. you can do a lot with a remy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

As a sort of a follow on to my previous .243 post, I talked to my new firearms officer and he said no bother licencing a .243:D so now looking for opinions/recomendations for rifles, was thinking either Remington 700 or Savage 12 series but open to suggestions would also like an idea of what sort of money rifles in this calibre make new and second hand.

Thanks
    your new super / firearms officer is giving you a 243 to shoot raddits and the odd fox with:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jwshooter wrote: »
    your new super / firearms officer is giving you a 243 to shoot raddits and the odd fox with:

In his other thread he clarified his position and I think he said it was mainly for fox

On rifle suggestions, a cooper varmint. Never used one but they look the business.

I'd say go to the firearms dealer and handle as many rifles as you can, take into account your budget and features you'd prefer and pick one that suits you. 99.9% of factory rifles will do the job just fine. its a matter of personal taste after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

As i posted in another thread me and my brother recently bought a CZ550 Full Stock in .243. It seems to be a well balanced and 'useable' rifle. I also have a Rem 700, but it is a bit on the heavy side for carting around hunting so il be using it for targets only. I have yet to find a person that can fault a CZ, i have owed two and just bought another one in .22...I think that for what they cost there are the K9's gonades...Just my 2 cent ;)

Mac Tire wrote: »
    As i posted in another thread me and my brother recently bought a CZ550 Full Stock in .243. It seems to be a well balanced and 'useable' rifle. I also have a Rem 700, but it is a bit on the heavy side for carting around hunting so il be using it for targets only. I have yet to find a person that can fault a CZ, i have owed two and just bought another one in .22...I think that for what they cost there are the K9's gonades...Just my 2 cent ;)

What's the story with a CZ trigger on the .243, is it a set trigger? I have never owned a rifle with one so it might take a little getting used to for me.

I agree though, excellent budget rifles.

• Advertisement

Well the one we got hasn't got a set trigger, but its not breaking bad as it is, a wee trip up the road to the local surgeon and it will be breaking like the best...I have only ever once 'experienced' a set trigger. It was on a mates Steyr Scout, pushed it forward and he told me to gently squeeze...
    Now we where dry firing it in a gun room...
    I know each shot is supposed to be a surprise and all that but if you were to have a trigger like that set up in feild conditions!!! I couldn't believe it, the wind would set it off...its unreal, not safe for felid conditions imo, but then again he had it set for a standard pull of 2.5 lbs, so its the bees knees in the field at that..:rolleyes:

Well the one we got hasn't got a set trigger, but its not breaking bad as it is, a wee trip up the road to the local surgeon and it will be breaking like the best...I have only ever once 'experienced' a set trigger. It was on a mates Steyr Scout, pushed it forward and he told me to gently squeeze...
    Now we where dry firing it in a gun room...
    I know each shot is supposed to be a surprise and all that but if you were to have a trigger like that set up in feild conditions!!! I couldn't believe it, the wind would set it off...its unreal, not safe for felid conditions imo, but then again he had it set for a standard pull of 2.5 lbs, so its the bees knees in the field at that..:rolleyes:

I know what you mean by surprised, they surprise me so much I flinch. Not the best for follow through and spotting the shot. :(

I have my .223 set to 2lbs and its lovely at that

Saying that I am sure some folk probably swear by the set type.

Just a case of Horses for Courses and each to their own ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

Have a set trigger in the sig shr970 in .270 and only really use it on long distance deer 200yrds to 300yrds (reduces time in trigger pull which in turn reduces the chances of it moving) all the sauer 202 have set triggers but I have seen problems in them. while in Africa with a couple of buddies one of them was lining up a good diker after pushing the trigger forward and not having his finger in the trigger it just went off, the PH said to him excellent shot.
    Surprisingly he managed to shot it in the neck lucky cos diker are a pretty small animal. All in all you gotta be careful with set triggers

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Anyone know what sort of money .243's go for and if there is a Savage dealer in the country ????

• Advertisement

me and the bro got a fantastic deal that will prob leave some people on here green (greener :D) with envy. £275stg for the fullstock and theres a man i know that will refinish the stock (few scratches here and there) for €60....So all in all its a deal that we couldn't pass...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

me and the bro got a fantastic deal that will prob leave some people on here green (greener :D) with envy. £275stg for the fullstock and theres a man i know that will refinish the stock (few scratches here and there) for €60....So all in all its a deal that we couldn't pass...:rolleyes:

greener :D) with envy:pac: the hulk come to mind thinking about it:p

Vegeta wrote: »
    In his other thread he clarified his position and I think he said it was mainly for fox

On rifle suggestions, a cooper varmint. Never used one but they look the business.

I'd say go to the firearms dealer and handle as many rifles as you can, take into account your budget and features you'd prefer and pick one that suits you. 99.9% of factory rifles will do the job just fine. its a matter of personal taste after that.
    i think you should read the thread again ,foxes as well,,how many foxes do you think are on a 150 acres hear in wexford,.i would be worried about supers giving out high powered rifles for lads to shoot rabbits amd some foxes with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Even if the guy goes out only once or twice a year shooting foxes with his .243 it's still a genuine reason to have it. I know people who take out their shotgun only on the first of November and don't touch it again for a year. Also the fact that the chap already has two shotguns gives the Super not much of a valid reason to refuse permission for the rifle IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Would he be interested in doing other stocks ?

i think you should read the thread again ,foxes as well,,how many foxes do you think are on a 150 acres hear in wexford,.i would be worried about supers giving out high powered rifles for lads to shoot rabbits amd some foxes with

No I got it right first time.
    The land is all open pasture making it very hard to get anywhere close to foxes which was why I was thinking the bigger calibres would be more suitable. As for the rabbits, I won't be actually going out with the intention of shooting rabbits but on a quite foxing evening a bit of long(ish) range rabbit shooting could be quite interesting and could only help my shooting ability(or lack of).

No I got it right first time.

please read his first post form 12-6-08 223-243 linensing advice ,,where he is looking for a rifle to shoot rabbits and some foxes .. i would be worried about supers giving out full bore rifles to shoot rabbits and some foxes also he is going to use this high powered rifle to shoot in open pastures .its not about the shooting of rabbits or foxed ..full bore s should not be handed out for varmint shooting

please read his first post form 12-6-08 223-243 linensing advice ,,where he is looking for a rifle to shoot rabbits and some foxes

please read all the thread where he goes on to point out that while it may appear he initially wanted it for rabbits that he would be out fox hunting and wouldn't mind taking a few rabbits while out. Its quoted above.

Are you choosing to ignore this? Are people not allowed to clarify their position?
    .. i would be worried about supers giving out full bore rifles to shoot rabbits and some foxes also he is going to use this high powered rifle to shoot in open pastures

But its pasture in a valley. Neither of us can know if the land is safe our not unless we were to see/walk it. I would be scared about shooters passing judgements and using sensationalist language against other shooters with phrases like "high powered rifle" thrown in there

I suppose you've never shot a deer in open pastures with your high powered rifles?
    its not about the shooting of rabbits or foxed ..full bore s should not be handed out for varmint shooting

and now we come to the reason for you problem with his posts, that's your opinion and while you are entitled to it I don't agree at all.

May I ask why you think this?

please read all the thread where he goes on to point out that while it may appear he initially wanted it for rabbits that he would be out fox hunting and wouldn't mind taking a few rabbits while out. Its quoted above.

Are you choosing to ignore this? Are people not allowed to clarify their position?

But its pasture in a valley. Neither of us can know if the land is safe our not unless we were to see/walk it. I would be scared about shooters passing judgements and using sensationalist language against other shooters with phrases like "high powered rifle" thrown in there

I suppose you've never shot a deer in open pastures with your high powered rifles?

and now we come to the reason for you problem with his posts, that's your opinion and while you are entitled to it I don't agree at all.

May I ask why you think this?
    we are NOT talking adout culling deer but shooting rabbits and foxes with a .243 is it not a high powered rifle been used on open pasture land there is a valley with a river running through it .i could not care less about all that ,, the point is he has been given a full bore rifle to shoot rabbits and foxes on a 150 acres that i do care about . do you think high powered rifles should be handed out to any one that wants one for te purpose of vermin control i am not bringing this mans character into question nor should you bring mine into question ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A .243 is a good round for foxes. Why should he have to accept a smaller calibre if he feels a .243 is more suited to him? This comes back to the notion that someone other than the shooter can decide what the shooter should be using (And I know that's a very grey area; it'd be obviously bad to issue a .308 for bunnies), but there needs to be a huge element of personal preference allowable as well. How often have their been complaints about the Super in Kilkenny who wouldn't issue .223 certs, but would issue Swifts or the like? If he feels the .243 is more suitable, it's his call whether to apply for it.

• Advertisement

do you think high powered rifles should be handed out to any one that wants one for te purpose of vermin control i am not bringing this mans character into question nor should you bring mine into question ..

Simple answer, within reason, yes. I was granted a full bore rifle for shooting fox, a .223

If someone wants one rifle to shoot all vermin then you have to take the largest vermin into account. Fox

The .243 is often recommended for fox shooting in the UK. The .220 swift is not a million miles off the .243 ballistically, there are a lot of them out there.

So if he was given a .220 swift for fox and rabbit would you be as opposed.

I am not bringing your character into question (if you feel I was then I apologise). I am asking a serious question, I would like to know the reason why someone with as much experience as you think a .243 is unsuitable as opposed to .223 or .220 swifts which are quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I think i would have to side with jwshooter on this one. .243 is too much socks for the job in question. The OP wants to shoot rabbits on a regular basis and only the occasional fox leading me to believe that a chambering of .17 HMR would be a much more suitable option.

I believe that anyone wanting to shoot fullbore first needs to learn the basics, and this is best achieved using the venerable .22lr or even .17 HMR. The simple fact is that .22lr is the most suitable round for taking rabbits safely on a regular basis. I would adive the OP to start of with a rimfire first and later he can aquire a dedicated fox buster in .245 if thats what he wants

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I think i would have to side with jwshooter on this one. .243 is too much socks for the job in question. The OP wants to shoot rabbits on a regular basis and only the occasional fox leading me to believe that a chambering of .17 HMR would be a much more suitable option.

I believe that anyone wanting to shoot fullbore first needs to learn the basics, and this is best achieved using the venerable .22lr or even .17 HMR. The simple fact is that .22lr is the most suitable round for taking rabbits safely on a regular basis. I would adive the OP to start of with a rimfire first and later he can aquire a dedicated fox buster in .245 if thats what he wants

I have no problem with your advice Hezz, I agree, its what most of us said in the other thread on it.

But to say a shooter should not be able to shoot vermin/varmint with a .243, I don't think that's right. Loads of people use .223 and .220 swift for just that task, while the .223 does not come near the ft/lbs of the .243 the .220 swift is only about 10% off.

Would the same objections have been raised if he wanted a .220 swift?

These rounds are well known and used varmint/vermin rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Would the same objections have been raised if he wanted a .220 swift?

Yes, The swift is an awesome round and you need to know what your doing. T

I would prefer to see the OP with a .22lr first and then adding a .22 centerfire the the collection at a later date, or by all means have a .243 if he so desires. 55gr .243 pills are excellent fox medicine and grand for the occasional long range Safe shot on a bunny, but i personally think it would be unwise for it to be his only caliber considering the type of shooting he intends to do.

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Yes, The swift is an awesome round and you need to know what your doing. T

I would prefer to see the OP with a .22lr first and then adding a .22 centerfire the the collection at a later date, or by all means have a .243 if he so desires. 55gr .243 pills are excellent fox medicine and grand for the occasional long range Safe shot on a bunny, but i personally think it would be unwise for it to be his only caliber considering the type of shooting he intends to do.

We're on exactly the same page then.

All firearms deserve the highest levels of respect and safety. Always.

What gets me is that Supers do read these forums and if they read that jw thinks the .243 is not a suitable caliber for varmint then a few poor sods might suffer as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

getting back to the original question take a look at the Steyr SBS Pro Hunter i got one at the start of this year and tbh its the best rifle ive ever had, no probs take targets out at 400+ yards

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I seem to have opened a large can of worms here, I have a lot of experience with rifles and have been knocking off bunnies with a .22 rimfire(Browning lever action) for over 14 years and there has always been rifles in the house. Just where I am going to be shooting the foxes I think a larger calibre would be safer(with proper varmint rounds) and more humane. I won't be lamping the foxes, I intend to lie and wait for them which is why I mentioned the rabbit shooting as on a quiet evening a long shot on a rabbit would take the edge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Whats the cost of .243 ammo ?
    Cheers.

Advertisement