Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Observer and Figure Four merge!!

• 12-06-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

I'm unashamedly thrilled about this. Here's what you get if you now subscribe:

www.f4wonline.com

Mp3 Radio Shows and Archives

Wrestling Observer Radio: Join Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez as they talk all the news in pro-wrestling and mixed martial arts. An updated version of the original Wrestling Observer Live, the show also features Q&A's with the hosts, previews, interviews, and more! Shows usually air Monday after Raw, Thursday after Impact, Sunday after the weekend PPVs, and at any point during the week when major news breaks.

Figure Four Radio: Join host Bryan Alvarez as he interviews some of the biggest names in pro-wrestling and MMA. Alvarez also does Mailbag shows about once per week, answering questions sent in by website readers on every conceivable topic. Shows usually air Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The original radio show on this website.

Bryan & Vinny Show: Join Bryan Alvarez and Vincent Verhei as they run down the latest pro-wrestling and mixed martial arts TV and PPV programming, including Raw, Smackdown, TNA Impact, Ultimate Fighter, and more! A more laid back show, this program also features wacky songs created by members of the website and completely off-topic discussions about every conceivable subject.

Adam & Mike Big Audio Nightmare: Since March 2006, the Big Audio Nightmare has been the original alternate here at the website. What does that mean? It was the first show without Bryan. Why? He thought it was about Japanese wrestling and bailed. Bad for him, good for you, as puroresu is only a muse for the most eclectic radio show based around canvassed mats. Here, the topics include – but aren’t limited to: joshi, raising babies, hockey, ROH, the NFL, boxing, current events, gambling, Indies, Tim Horton’s, octopus, MMA, Turkish oil wrestling, Latino women, NASCAR, poutine, Art Bell, and much, much more. It’s the safety pin for your wrestling bubble; It’s the Adam Summers & Mike Sempervive BIG AUDIO NIGHTMARE~! Proudly here at F4WOnline.com.

The Karl Stern Classic Wrestling Show: Karl Stern hosts the Karl Stern Classic Wrestling Audio Show. The publisher of the classic DragonKing Wrestling Newsletter, Karl has also spent time as a wrestler, promoter, and photographer. Each week Karl hosts a look back at classic pro wrestling. From the age of the pioneers to the dying days of WCW, Karl Stern talks about all things old-school. Join Karl for a look back at the legendary promotions, wrestlers, angles, and shows that made pro wrestling one of the most successful entertainment fields in the world.

Five Star Radio Show Join Mike Coughlin as he talks Mixed Martial Arts. Mike is one of the best analysts in the MMA game today and his pre-show previews are legendary.

Dr. Keith Lipinski Show: Join Dr. Keith as he talks to some of the biggest names in indy pro wrestling today!

Many of our subscribers say the radio shows are the number-one benefit of subscribing. Most shows run between 45 and 90 minutes. In addition, every program since October 2005 is archived on the site so you can download anything you missed. All of the shows are delivered in an mp3 format that you can download to your iPod or other portable music player, or burn to CD for a permanent collection. You can also input your username and password into iTunes and the shows will be automatically downloaded for you.

Newsletters and Archives

Weekly Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Dave Meltzer's weekly 35,000-word look at the pro wrestling and MMA industry appears in online form for subscribers every Wednesday. Every weekly issue has coverage and analysis of all the major news, plus every issue breaks major news stories before the Internet sites and has the most complete look at the business as a whole anywhere. The Observer is now in its 27th year of being the leading insider pro wrestling publication in the world. The biggest and most influential names in the industry, both from bookers, to promoters to Hall of Fame wrestlers and fighters to the biggest current names, both on camera, and behind the scenes, along with thousands of readers in all 50 states and 30 countries subscribe. Many have subscribed as long as 20 years or more straight. They get the most detailed and inside coverage of what is going on all over the world and an accuracy from having the most inside sources that can't be found on the web. Everyone from Wall Street to the major offices to the TV networks in U.S. and Japan turn to the Observer for what is going on in the business.

Weekly Figure Four Newsletter: A brand-new issue of Figure Four Weekly is published every Tuesday evening on the main page of the site. Each newsletter is 18,000 words of news and information from every major promotion around the world, plus the most entertaining TV reports you'll find anywhere! Over 350 back issues dating back to 2001 are also available in our F4W Archive.

Other Features

The INFAMOUS F4W~! BOARD Our exclusive members-only discussion board, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Besides hosting discussions on a wide variety of topics from the world of wrestling and beyond, it is also the place where news breaks most frequently. Join the hundreds of members who participate daily and keep on top of the latest backstage news from WWE, TNA, ROH, OVW, Japan, Mexico and everywhere else! Love the songs played on the Bryan & Vinny Show? Get them here! Also, ask questions for Bryan or Bryan’s Friend Vince in their personal forums. A vast number of our members have pronounced it the single best wrestling board on the Internet.

SUBSCRIPTION CONTENT

Everything listed below is available exclusively for subscribers. Worldwide subscription rates are $9.99 for one month, $29.99 for three months, or $119.99 for one year. This is the best wrestling/MMA value on the Internet if you consider that print Observer prices alone are normally $14.50 per six issues in the US for long-term readers and $17.50 for those paying monthly, and $19.75 for long-term and $21.50 for month-to-month for overseas readers. As an online subscriber you get full access to all new Observer newsletters, plus the Figure Four Weekly, newsletter archives, audio shows, expanded radio and more breaking news than ever before, all for just $9.99 per month.

First show is free here: http://www.f4wonline.com/radioshow.php?thefile=http://media002.f4wonline.com/free/061208daily.mp3

Honestly, I'd recommend it to anyone to give it a try for a month. It's phenomenal value.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I was planning to sign up to the Observer, no need to now! That's an amazing saving you'd make if you just wanted the Observer. The Dave shows are great news, I like listening to what he has to say. I wonder if there's anything that The Torch can do now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

10 dollars (about 6.50 euro) a month for all that is such a bargain. It's crazy...in a good way.

It will kinda be a return to the eyada days with Wrestling Observer Live which was such an awesome show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

It just makes sense to do it this way, they're sites were pretty similar with news and stuff anyways. This will save them both time.

Dean820 wrote: »
    It just makes sense to do it this way, they're sites were pretty similar with news and stuff anyways. This will save them both time.

They weren't really similar at all. The Observer site just had daily news updates and that was about it. The newsletter wasn't online. Figure Four has all its content online and now they're going to have more, so I don't know if any time is being saved anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

WOW, this is pretty cool news. I assume my subscription price won't go up and I'll get all this for €7.99, cos Alvarez has said repeatedly that once you're subscribed, the price will never go up!

EDIT: Bollocks, it seems there will be a price increase. Dunno if its worth it anymore, lol!

• Advertisement

Why would you want to pay money to listen to other people talk about wrestling?

Just think about that for a second.

You will pay money. Actual real money that can be used for food and warmth or WWE PPV's.

And you're gonna spend it to listen to someone else talking about wrestling?

What?

Why would you want to pay money to listen to other people talk about wrestling?

Just think about that for a second.

You will pay money. Actual real money that can be used for food and warmth or WWE PPV's.

And you're gonna spend it to listen to someone else talking about wrestling?

What?

It's €6.50! It's not likely to break the bank now, is it? The Bryan and Vinny show is extremely funny and keeps me entertained on the way to college and while I'm in the gym.
    Now, I suppose I could go and spend that €6.50 per month on pieces of plastic resembling wrestlers and building a WWE arena, but I'd rather have something to listen to in the gym and on the way to college. Thats just me though!

Minto wrote: »
    It's €6.50! It's not likely to break the bank now, is it? The Bryan and Vinny show is extremely funny and keeps me entertained on the way to college and while I'm in the gym.
    Now, I suppose I could go and spend that €6.50 per month on pieces of plastic resembling wrestlers and building a WWE arena, but I'd rather have something to listen to in the gym and on the way to college. Thats just me though!

For €6.50 you're not gonna have much of an arena :p

Besides i never said it was too expensive...

But yeah, i dont understand this. Im listening to the free show at the moment, but its not really anything id pay for. I can hear other peoples opinions for free. And i have my own opinion already for free.

Just dont quite get the idea behind it. I mean.. maybe its just me, but i just don't see the point.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Pah the Don tony and Kevin Castle show is miles better, and it's free.

For €6.50 you're not gonna have much of an arena :p

Besides i never said it was too expensive...

But yeah, i dont understand this. Im listening to the free show at the moment, but its not really anything id pay for. I can hear other peoples opinions for free. And i have my own opinion already for free.

Just dont quite get the idea behind it. I mean.. maybe its just me, but i just don't see the point.:confused:

There is one thing your missing on the free show and that is Granny, lol! Plus, I don't have much time for wrestling anymore, so I can keep up to date with the show. I can't really think of any other reasons to justify paying the money, but if have a couch in your house, you probably have €6.50 in change doing nothing for you, so ya may as well sign up for a month. Ya won't regret it, unless you're VR and every opinion bar his is wrong, lol! ;)

• Advertisement

I find it great for the Japanese wrestling that I rarely get to keep up to date with, the Karl Stern shows where he talks about wrestling from many years ago and the interviews with different guests, which are practically always interesting. I don't always agree with the reviews of WWE or TNA shows, but it's still entertaining most of the time

Plus it's not as if it's a bunch of nobodies talking. Dave Meltzer has written more on wrestling than anyone ever, and he's a very intelligent guy. He knows what's going on in wrestling better than anyone not directly involved in it. All those stories that you read on the "newz" sites are all ripped straight from Meltzer's newsletter

I think it's well worth the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I might have to get it for a month and see what its like. Is it ok to give your credit card details to them? Can you download it and put it straight on your ipod?
    I know a lot of people have a lot of time for Dave Meltzer but he really annoys me listening to that, its not his opinion its the fact that he says "You know" after every sentence, gets on my you know what.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people have a lot of time for Dave Meltzer but he really annoys me listening to that, its not his opinion its the fact that he says "You know" after every sentence, gets on my you know what.

Honestly, he does say that alot but on that show he must have doubled the amount of times he usually says it! It bugged me too. It's usually not that bad although you will still hear it.

Yeah signing up and downloading is really easy. Don't forget there's like 700 shows from the past 3 years that are available for download too in the archives. www.f4wonline.com I bet you'll feel you'll get more than your moneys worth.

I'll say it again. For what you're getting, it's a fantastic deal. For half the money if you were to subscribe to both, you're getting way more. They should be at least charging 15 dollars. I would sign up now and go recurring, locking in the 10 dollar price because what their charging is just so low.

Personally I liked figure four because it was a good for information but it was also really entertaining too. It saved my interest in wrestling.

By bringing the Observer with Meltzer on board, they have just put together in my opinion the best wrestling site on the web for current news, analysis and general enjoyment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

You are paying for the subscription newsletter. The audio is a bonus.
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Pah the Don tony and Kevin Castle show is miles better, and it's free.

Credible too :rolleyes:

They are two bitter old carnys.
    By bringing the Observer with Meltzer on board, they have just put together in my opinion the best wrestling site on the web for current news, analysis and general enjoyment.

Certionly pisses all over The Torch thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

unless you're VR and every opinion bar your own is wrong, lol! ;)

Well i'm glad you finally came to your senses, young Minto! It only took the guts of a year to break you down to finally admit it :D

VR!

With the end of the old observer site with Meltzer merging with figure four, someone did a tribute video (yes a tribute video for a website!). It's tongue in cheek and there's some funny bits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehOUyIx5Qw

Truly the end of an era, i shed a tear. I haven't been this emotional since Flair's retirement.
    I think i should go and listen to some emo music, cut myself up a few times and then maybe, just maybe, contemplate suicide as things will never be the same. :~)

Nah, who am i kidding?, i have a life outside of wrestling sites :D
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Does this affect the current subscriptions to F4W in anyway?

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Does this affect the current subscriptions to F4W in anyway?

In money terms, if you are on a recurring monthly payment, it doesn't. So if you were paying $7.95 (or $5.95 in my case because I joined when the site was first set up) recurring monthly you're still paying the same amount.

If your not on a recurring payment, the price has gone up to 10 dollars a month. So basically for an extra 2 dollars a month, you're getting 6 Observer newsletters and a minimum of 12 Observer Live radio/podcast shows as well as the typical content of Figure Four. A good deal, particularly with the dollar being so weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Just wondering should I sign up now or wait till later and wait till the site is up and running fully with everything on it, or is it all good now? What do ya think? Only getting it for a month to see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Just wondering should I sign up now or wait till later and wait till the site is up and running fully with everything on it, or is it all good now? What do ya think? Only getting it for a month to see how it goes.

The site is up and running fully. The current Observer is up there right now and the audio shows with Meltzer will be Monday, Wednesday and Sundays. All the Figure Four related stuff is up too as well as the archives. Now is as good a time as any I guess to join up.

Better get it in quick, the dollar isn't as weak as it was by the looks of things. $2 = €1.30
    VR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

There was an overwhelming, INSANE amount of content before the merger. Just sign up for a month just to try it. You will get more out of it than Powerslam magazine thats for sure.

rovert wrote: »
    There was an overwhelming, INSANE amount of content before the merger.

Exactly and just for Reganio or anyone else signing up, I'm sure there will be some stuff you will like and some stuff you won't like but there's so much content now on the site I'd be amazed if you felt you didn't get your money's worth.

Leaving aside the newsletters which are a big plus for the site, especially the online observer, my advice would be to try every show out on the site once or twice and then stick to the ones you like to listen to.

That's just it, there's a choice of 6 audio shows or something? So there has to be at least one for your moneys worth.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

:D:D:D:D:D:D high quality pwnage there

Advertisement