Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Managers

Options
  • 13-06-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

First off, I love my work place. The people there are fantastic and the work not too bad. However, my problem is with the management. Now I'm going to try and keep it as vague as possible while giving enough information, just to keep myself from any backlash that may happen in work (they know my boards username!)

Lately things have been getting really bad. Our General Manager has been out for the past few months, leading to the IT manager to more or less step in. But the only problem is that she is completely and utterly useless when it comes to this position. The only reason she's "second in command" is because she is related to the owner. She has no idea how to control staff, or that for a staff to be productive, they should be relatively happy. She made up the schedule one week and my hours jumped from the usual 25 to upwards of 40 in one week.

The thing is that we can't complain about her as the GM is away. The only person above her is the owner, but like I said they're related so thats a bit of a dead end.

Also the manager that is usually in charge of doing stock isn't necessarily a manager anymore and none of the other ones really care, which in turn results in us running out and us (the front of house staff) to deal with the annoyed customers. There's rumours rife in the business that the GM isn't coming back and that the temp-GM is taking over. If this happens I can picture a mass-exodus of staff.

So what do you do when you can't do anything about the situation you're in? And before people say, "get another job" - there are none.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

This could be a really good time for you to step up your responsibility within the team by taking on things that she's having particular trouble with.

For example, say something like 'You seem really busy, would it help if I draw up the schedule for you next week?' Of course you will run it by her before it goes live, but chances are she won't care enough to fuss over it and you'll be in her good books.

If there's other things you can help her with then offer. It might also be worth going to the owner and saying that you know the IT manager is really busy effectively doing 2 jobs, and if there's anything you can do to help.

This will show you as a strong member of the team and will for one secure your job should the dreaded R word roll around (redundancy), and for two put you in good light for any promotions that come up.

I know it's hard in these situations but all we can do is make the best of it.

Good luck!

Advertisement