Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break entitlements

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

Hi guys, I've just read the legislation and I wondering id someone could clear this up for me.

In a 8 hour shift I get a single 45 minute break...It's also 'frowned upon' to take a tea break..although smokers are very well looked after!

I'm also due to work an 11 hour shift. 10am-9pm.

Now, I've been told I can have 2 half hour breaks on this occassion (I've just started with this company)..Is this legal? You're entitled to half an hour every 6 hours...but 15 mins every 4 and a half hours? are they just scrapping by with this or is it illegal to have such a small lunch break for an 11 hour shift. IT's horrible because it's retail which means excluding breaks you're standing(and you HAVE to stand) around for 10 hours.

any advice would be appriciated

LC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

1h breaks in total (inc. a 30 min unpaid lunch) breaks from 8 to 12h so 30 min paid, 30 min unpaid would be the requirement so yes, it sounds legal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Guys, what about a situation in which you are getting the right length break but are getting it too early? i.e. you come back from your lunch and have 4.5+ hours left. You are entitled to a 15 break during this time, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

what if you work a 4 hour shift, are you entitled to a break at all since you only get a 15 minute break for 4.5 hours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

inode wrote: »
    what if you work a 4 hour shift, are you entitled to a break at all since you only get a 15 minute break for 4.5 hours?
    No breaks legally required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

thanks for the info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Guys, what about a situation in which you are getting the right length break but are getting it too early? i.e. you come back from your lunch and have 4.5+ hours left. You are entitled to a 15 break during this time, right?

Yes.

As long as you haven't taken all your entitlement already, for example: come in at 9am, break at 10, lunch at 11 back at 12, 6 hours left till 6, no breaks left.

Sounds made but this does happen in retail. You should have a break after 4 hours work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I work in a retail, say I work 6-2 or 2-10.30, what breaks should I be getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I believe you should get a 15min break (paid) and at least 30min to 60min break (unpaid).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If I start at 06.15 and supposed to finish at 18.00 what are my break entitlements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

The details are available here - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

There are some exceptions depending on what industry you work in etc.

Advertisement